Effective Use of Reaper Dragon Gold

Molkavi

Hey y’all!

I’ve got golden armor to paint on a grey-primed miniature. I’ll be doing it using MSP Dragon Gold since it’s the one I have on my paint kit.

I don’t wanna mess it up, so I’ve been doing some base color tests (picture attached). 

https://imgur.com/gallery/kDB27Li

I’ve heard you should base black (it looks awful). I’ve heard you should base dark brown (looks meh). I’ve tried Tanned Flesh (looks reasonably good).

Where am I messing up?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually base gold with an ochre yellow and then layer the gold metallic paint over that. I then shade with thinned black.

Edit to add you can also base in a silver (which covers better than gold) and then over paint with the gold.

Edited by DocPiske

14 hours ago, Inarah said:

I typically go with black or brown, but you should use whatever you think looks good.  You've done some tests, go with what is giving you the look you want. 

Hey, thanks for all the advice!

Do you have a picture of what might a proper brown-based application of gold might look like?

What if I’m going for a darker gold?

13 minutes ago, Marineal said:

On his shaded metallics class, Michael proctor recommended desaturated base colors. Like ashen brown for gold, and some desaturated grey blue for silver.

Could that be why i find Tanned Flesh a better base coat than black or dark brown?

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:45 PM, Molkavi said:

Could that be why i find Tanned Flesh a better base coat than black or dark brown?

Maybe! I'm no master, but I definitely prefer to undercoat. I think it's helpful before I out in metallics too, to kind of check if I want it cool if warm with my undercoat.