Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I finally tried out the airbrush I got this past year. Spent the day getting used to it and testing it out.
I've had a set of Croak Raiders from Hordes that I've been excited to paint up. I figured an airbrush would really help speed up the process.
However, I knew better than to test out a new tool on something so detailed that I cared so much about.
So I broke out this Great Worm that I got for use in Rangers of Shadow Deep.
I documented my process for once as I was sharing it with some friends, so I figured I'd show it off here too.
The worm got glued to a 2in base and I used sand to help build up a transition from the rocky sculpt to the base.
More super glue and some baking soda were added to the whole thing to create a finer texture that looks better at scale. This is my go-to basing method. I use more or less sand depending on my purpose.
I don't yet have a primer for the airbrush so I primed this mini with craft paint as usual. I did use a darker gray than normally as I had a feeling this would work better for airbrushing.
So I broke out my new airbrush. Got an Iwata from some friends last summer. I've only ever used an airbrush a few times before but never for minis.
Decided to paint this as a Purple Worm so it could serve double duty in D&D. Slapped on a few shades of purple. My takeaway here is that I could use colors with more contrast and really push the light values.
I had a bit more contrast in the under belly, painted the mouth deep red, and then slapped some brown on to the base. I figured this was as much as I could accomplish with the airbrush.
I wasn't happy with the contrast so I added some washes to darken the shadows before moving on to some layering for highlights and detail work.
I'll get around to taking better pictures later, but this was the final result. I still spent nearly 4 hours working on this after the airbrush, but I think it saved me a lot of time at least with the base colors.
The airbrush was definitely helpful but also annoying. Spent half the time I was using it cleaning the dang thing. Also just getting comfortable with paint it techniques.
You might have spotted in the background that I did work up the confidence to put some color on the frogs.
I was inspired by the box art for these guys so I tried giving them lighter yellow bellies and orange hands/feet.
I also tested out zenithal highlighting a bit. Unfortunately these guys were primed grey like I usually do so the contrast wasn't that noticeable. Will have to try it out properly next time.
Another mini from the Scourge of the Slave Lords set. I really like the way this guy came out. Although doesn't strike me as very Assassin looking, maybe Ranger.
Who's Online 18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)