Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm! Every meal is a banquet. Every paycheck a forture. Every formation a parade! I love the corps.
So, I've been hitting these a little at a time since the game was released. I haven't played the game (as I mostly want to recreate the old Leading Edge Games game), but I'm sure I will eventually.
On with the show:
These are from images I posted over in Off Topic. I just realized last night that I'd finished (or nearly so) over half the box!
The eggs and facehuggers were done in batches. I could have done them all the same, but I wanted there to be slight differences. I wasn't able to find a lot of information on the actual prop eggs used, so I kind of winged it based on what others were doing. The eggs were Forest Green, Grass Green, and Jade Green--according to my notes. I think that I started with Pure Black on the bases and drybrushed the Forest Green and Grass Green.
The fleshy bits were done in Golden Shadow, Golden Skin, and Golden Highlight for three closed and one open egg and one facehugger.
The other set of eggs and facehugger were done with Tanned Skin, Tanned Highlight, and Fair Shadow.
I am finding that I'm starting with a triad and then "bumping" it up (or down) to keep the colors "together" but add some variety.
The first batch of crates are Stormy Grey, Cloudy Grey, and Misty Grey.
Second batch of crates is Chestnut Gold, Palamino Gold, and Buckskin Pale. I am really pleased with the dirty look they have. The sealer was still drying on them, so they were still on the caps when I took the picture.
The Weyland-Yutani logo is Pure White and Sunlight Yellow over Pure Black.
Still six crates to go (2 will be red, 4 in blue or green). I've already made up some sort of weird rules to allow me to justify using multiple (non-grey) colors, also six computer terminals, and two sentry guns. Those have already been started, so will be quick to finish (hopefully). I've seen some folks do some great things with the terminal screens, but that won't be me.
I finally tried out the airbrush I got this past year. Spent the day getting used to it and testing it out.
I've had a set of Croak Raiders from Hordes that I've been excited to paint up. I figured an airbrush would really help speed up the process.
However, I knew better than to test out a new tool on something so detailed that I cared so much about.
So I broke out this Great Worm that I got for use in Rangers of Shadow Deep.
I documented my process for once as I was sharing it with some friends, so I figured I'd show it off here too.
The worm got glued to a 2in base and I used sand to help build up a transition from the rocky sculpt to the base.
More super glue and some baking soda were added to the whole thing to create a finer texture that looks better at scale. This is my go-to basing method. I use more or less sand depending on my purpose.
I don't yet have a primer for the airbrush so I primed this mini with craft paint as usual. I did use a darker gray than normally as I had a feeling this would work better for airbrushing.
So I broke out my new airbrush. Got an Iwata from some friends last summer. I've only ever used an airbrush a few times before but never for minis.
Decided to paint this as a Purple Worm so it could serve double duty in D&D. Slapped on a few shades of purple. My takeaway here is that I could use colors with more contrast and really push the light values.
I had a bit more contrast in the under belly, painted the mouth deep red, and then slapped some brown on to the base. I figured this was as much as I could accomplish with the airbrush.
I wasn't happy with the contrast so I added some washes to darken the shadows before moving on to some layering for highlights and detail work.
I'll get around to taking better pictures later, but this was the final result. I still spent nearly 4 hours working on this after the airbrush, but I think it saved me a lot of time at least with the base colors.
The airbrush was definitely helpful but also annoying. Spent half the time I was using it cleaning the dang thing. Also just getting comfortable with paint it techniques.
You might have spotted in the background that I did work up the confidence to put some color on the frogs.
I was inspired by the box art for these guys so I tried giving them lighter yellow bellies and orange hands/feet.
I also tested out zenithal highlighting a bit. Unfortunately these guys were primed grey like I usually do so the contrast wasn't that noticeable. Will have to try it out properly next time.
Who's Online 17 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)