Blacklist Miniatures: Fantasy Series 1

SamuraiJack

7 hours ago, jadeite said:

Probably Mantic, too. And Kobold Press, when it comes to RPG stuff.

In my opinion, STL KS are much safer than physical minis, as in many cases the minis are already done and you get them a few weeks after the campaign ends. There are cases when the stretch goals exploded and the whole thing takes far longer than expected, but in that case, you usually get partial rewards. No problems with shipping rates (or pewter shortage).

STL Kickstarters also benefit from the fact that there's generally few "moving parts". It's generally just the creator, Kickstarter and a distributor like MMF or Gumroad. Plus most STL Kickstarters are sculpted or mostly sculpted by the time they launch.

• Like 2

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So some good news and some bad news.

Good news: They have an investor. This means they have a cash infusion to send out the FS1 shipments.

Bad news: They have an investor. KS isn't transparent, and sometimes companies depend on outside funding, but won't tell backers that. So if this outside funding pulls out in the middle of the project, then the project suddenly doesn't have funds to continue. Or if the investor has too much control over the project (a boardgame whose name I forgot but starts with a T even had a board of directors) then the project can be mismanaged, leading to squandered funds or even the creator leaving the project. IIRC, Alex Lim of Blacklist Games, is the same Alex Lim of the problematic Blood Royale card and miniatures game. BR had an investor who pulled out midway into the project, again, iirc, putting it in a problematic state.

So, now, if you say, "I will never back a BLG again", I can agree with you. Investors in a KS are never revealed, so we can't evaluate them when backing a project. You could, of course, extend this further to "I will never back a KS project again" when there may be an unrevealed investor (or other source of finance) that adds unwanted risk to a project. 

That 3D printer is looking better and better! 🤔

Edited by ced1106
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

Just now, Lidless Eye said:

Considering they also said they still haven't finalized with QML, I'll believe it when I have my extras  listed on eBay.

Also their whole subterfuge about Alex Lim being the person behind it is a load of minotaur poop.

Yeah, I noticed that wording too. Like they’re practically finalized with QML and could potentially have their stuff shipping at some point in the vague, near future. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Adrift said:

Yeah, I noticed that wording too. Like they’re practically finalized with QML and could potentially have their stuff shipping at some point in the vague, near future. 

I understand why we don't but these are times where I wish we had an Angry React on the forums.

I'll say next BoGW or so from me is gonna get a ton of Blacklist at this rate.

• Like 2

To put a more positive spin on this thread: I will say that the minis are great. Usually Australia is the last in the world to get shipments, but by luck we got ours early last year. For the price per mini they fill a really nice generic fantasy set that will bulk out a DM's collection. In particular we liked the nice gender balance. I backed for FS2, and would likely back a FS3 based purely off of FS1 and how much we have enjoyed painting their minis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Citrine said:

Latest update 2/25 mentions that they have secured funding for fulfilling the last regions.  Cautiously optimistic minis will arrive at my doorstep this spring.

It still feels like the same general "coming soon!" updates they've been posting since getting their mystery investor to me, but I will say I am just super bitter about all of this at this point.

• Like 3

KInda unfortunate that successfully running a similar and large scale KS project doesn't mean their next will succeed (BLG, MegaCon Games, Super Dungeon Explore), Petersen Games?). Ironically, I think after outside investors, existing retail sales (and companies with accountants!) would be the next source of funds for a KS project, so much for the "spirit" of KS when risk is around. (BLG has sold Street Masters? retail, but that's their only game?) That whitelists Reaper, CMON, and Steve Jackson Games, not a very long list.

I hope there's enough money for Horror as well! 🙁 The investor is overseas, and, it's pure speculation, my guess is that they have more to lose if the project fails to ship than doesn't, or can get access to the molds and other intellectual assets at a good price, so they can start making the same miniatures. If the investor sold the miniatures overseas, that would at least expand the hobby.

12 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

It still feels like the same general "coming soon!" updates they've been posting since getting their mystery investor to me, but I will say I am just super bitter about all of this at this point.

Same. I like to be a positive person, and as an RN, I really look for hope where I can find it. But this this is almost 2 years overdue and it’s been one excuse after another. I don’t have much left to feel good, or excited about, with respect to this project. I am thankful that I, and my friends, all stayed out of their subsequent projects because this project overload, without delivery, was giving us all too much angst to support them more. 

3 hours ago, ced1106 said:

KInda unfortunate that successfully running a similar and large scale KS project doesn't mean their next will succeed (BLG, MegaCon Games, Super Dungeon Explore), Petersen Games?). Ironically, I think after outside investors, existing retail sales (and companies with accountants!) would be the next source of funds for a KS project, so much for the "spirit" of KS when risk is around. (BLG has sold Street Masters? retail, but that's their only game?) That whitelists Reaper, CMON, and Steve Jackson Games, not a very long list.

I hope there's enough money for Horror as well! 🙁 The investor is overseas, and, it's pure speculation, my guess is that they have more to lose if the project fails to ship than doesn't, or can get access to the molds and other intellectual assets at a good price, so they can start making the same miniatures. If the investor sold the miniatures overseas, that would at least expand the hobby.

I just want my figures at this point. I don’t care that they’re late, or what BLG is doing. But yeah, the list of miniature companies that use KS, that I trust, has pretty firmed up.  

• Like 2