Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Blacklist Miniatures: Fantasy Series 1

6 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Am I the only one seeing some red flags from the sheer number of stretch goals they are adding?

Nope, I'm also a bit conserned. This is becoming a better value than the Bones Core Set, but with way less backers. And they seem to keep to their "a new stretch goal every 5k" pattern. I'm also a bit confused all the stretch goals are flagged as "KS exclusive". 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Citrine said:

Am I the only one seeing some red flags from the sheer number of stretch goals they are adding?

Well, they're unlocking fewer SG's than their Altar Quest campaign, and previous boardgame ones. 

This is their first miniatures-only campaign, which I presume has less costs vs. a boardgame with the same amount of mini's. They've intentionally not created more Altar Quest KSE content with this KS.

They have delivered three KS, and this would be their third outstanding KS. Some previous KS had some delivery problems, though As ever, check the comments and updates of previous KS they've fulfilled! ::):

From the FAQ: For Kickstarter Exclusive items, we'll run only the minimal amount required to print them. Any extras, we reserve the right to sell at events, conventions, our own online store, or other Kickstarter campaigns. Keep note that exclusive items will NOT be available through retail distribution and when we run out, there is no guarantee we will reprint them.

Guessing that they're doing this to reduce retailer risk. 

Here's an AQ update for their miniature production before the epidemic. Obviously, it's not everything you would need to know to guarantee FS1 will deliver.

These mini's are available through the AQ purchase (and may be less risky since they're further in production). As pointed out, they're more unique than the FS1 miniatures.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/altar-quest/posts/2703214

Spoiler

a13c18b18963fee43b2dfd453bc9ed61_origina70f0be6ef3b04f6c3c9089bd4c74ff2c_origina

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

It's definitely fair to wonder how we can make this crazy deal a reality when other publishers seem to charge more for similar projects. This might be the first project to use the branding of our new division, Blacklist Miniatures, but it is in no way our first rodeo with miniatures! We've made quite a few miniatures-heavy board games, two of which have been delivered and one of which is nearly done with its ongoing delivery. 2 others are currently in the shop, one of which is Altar Quest (whose miniatures have been shown here and there, including my post earlier in the thread). Everything here has been carefully calculated as it must be in order to proceed with a project of this magnitude, as we always do with our large-scale projects.

All that to say, we have a great relationship with our minis sculptors and manufacturers and we know what we're doing with regards to this minis-only project! Not gonna lie, our profit margin is going to be a bit slim here, but our goal is using this project as a way to jump start our Blacklist Miniatures brand and get the product in folks' hands so they know how great our future projects will be! Also, I can guarantee that anyone who misses this Kickstarter will not see a deal as good as this when the core box releases at retail: firstly, its price will not be as low as it is now, and the stretch goals will not exist outside of this Kickstarter.

Again, our priority right now is making sure the Blacklist Miniatures name gets out there and this campaign is all about making a big splash while also providing excellent product with which to continue to build our reputation as makers of great minis (and board games)!

Again, feel free to ask me any specific questions!

Edited by ScottieMick
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, ScottieMick said:

Not gonna lie, our profit margin is going to be a bit slim here, but our goal is using this project as a way to jump start our Blacklist Miniatures brand and get the product in folks' hands so they know how great our future projects will be! 

Again, our priority right now is making sure the Blacklist Miniatures name gets out there and this campaign is all about making a big splash while also providing excellent product with which to continue to build our reputation as makers of great minis (and board games)!

Mission accomplished in my case! If this KS goes off without hitch then you'll definitely be on my radar for the future (and I imagine a lot of other peoples' too).

Now about those traditional halflings... ;)

Edited by Kalibak
Halflings!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kalibak said:

Mission accomplished in my case! If this KS goes off without hitch then you'll definitely be on my radar for the future (and I imagine a lot of other peoples' too).

Now about those traditional halflings... ;)

Agreed, I’ve already gotten one other guy in my regular dnd game to back this. 

• Like 1

I am glad to hear you have a plan and are aware of the downside to offering too many stretch goals. In the past I backed 2 Kickstarters with an overabundance of extras.  One was a fraud and the other went belly up because the creator went bankrupt by offering to much.  So I am now wary if it seems to be too good of a deal. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Citrine said:

I am glad to hear you have a plan and are aware of the downside to offering too many stretch goals. In the past I backed 2 Kickstarters with an overabundance of extras.  One was a fraud and the other went belly up because the creator went bankrupt by offering to much.  So I am now wary if it seems to be too good of a deal. 

Yeah, I too have lost money on Kickstarters that overextended so I feel your pain. But in our case we've made sure to do our math!  We have a lot of great plans for Blacklist Miniatures, such as minis in other genres, and of course a Series 2 for fantasy lovers :) 

• Like 3

Are there plans to sell those miniatures outside the set in retail? 

How is the stiffness of the plastic? Has anyone tried taking a knife to the miniatures? I'm not too hot on duplicates, especially with humanoids like the bandits or cultists, so I'd like to try and do head/weapon swaps or just use them for parts. In the future I hope you consider having groups of creatures with different poses amongst their peers, other than that, the render and concept drawings look very nice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nunae said:

Are there plans to sell those miniatures outside the set in retail? 

How is the stiffness of the plastic? Has anyone tried taking a knife to the miniatures? I'm not too hot on duplicates, especially with humanoids like the bandits or cultists, so I'd like to try and do head/weapon swaps or just use them for parts. In the future I hope you consider having groups of creatures with different poses amongst their peers, other than that, the render and concept drawings look very nice.

The main box is planned for retail, everything else is not.  The reason we can offer such a great value is thanks to the fact that we don't have alt poses. The expensive part of producing a minis line is unique molds. So, with each unique pose, you increase the costs of the project. This is why we've got "duplicates."

As for chopping through these with a hobby knife to Frankenstein together a creation of your own liking, it should be doable yes! The plastic is rigid to avoid bends when playing or storing, but also solid so they won't bust when being dropped. That said, precision cutting tools can get through these with enough patience, yep!

• Like 5

I kind of see the duplicates as a plus - you can paint them differently to differentiate them from each other,.

Plus, as others have suggested, a couple weapon swaps etc. (especially combined with different paint jobs) will give you a pretty nice group of related mooks / mobs ...

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Citrine said:

Which ones? BL has a history of fulfilling projects with a large number of plastic miniature sculpts plus printed components, although you should check to see how many sculpts FS1 has vs. previous KS. 

Were this a First Created project, a company with no retail presence, or a KS over $125 including shipping (eg. boardgame with mini's), I would pass, particularly since only concept art has been shown for the SG's.

This KS has a heavy overlap with Bones I-IV, and Reaper has more experience with miniatures than Blacklist, so no need to back if the miniatures (such as the retail box itself) are too similar to what you have. 

They haven't delivered Altar Quest yet, although they have delivered earlier, non-generic fantasy, boardgames with miniatures.

SG's are now 10K apart. Still at "two for a dollar", even with USA shipping of $15. Good number of unique heroes, and now offering unusual enemies.

01fdfe56869dca32487ce8098bf35cb6_originae9e938fd8d5fe2a231b041e26f0531fb_origina

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 2

I’m looking forward to kitbashing and customizing the various duplicates! Plus, I plan on giving a bunch of my duplicates to friends in my dnd group that are experiencing financial difficulty during this covid-shutdown debacle. 

Any word on how long the pledge manager would be open for? Kind of curious about such, because it looks like I might be able to try and sneak this into my budget. Looks interesting, but I know I'd want to add in stuff in the pledge manager if I did sign up. 

note their "kickstarter exclusive" FOMO bs really only means that the minis won't go to general retail. They will still be available in their own online shop.

Which in real life seems to be the way to go for a new player in this niche market anyway, so why not try the FOMO trick to get as many immediate sales as possible?

Seemingly most "retail" sales nowadays wind up being though discount online stores such as amazon or miniature market, and this devalues the product immensely, creating an expectation in many would-be customers that product should be discounted all the time.