Sign in to follow this  
Darcstaar

Murder’s Mark, Pathfinder 1e Module

Karl glances around at his companions.  "Well, shall we be off to see what Mistress Almara is needing this fine morning?"

Without waiting for a response, he downs the last of his breakfast beer, loads the last few bites of breakfast on the remaining piece of toasted bread and crams the whole thing in his mouth.  Wiping his mouth while chewing vigorously, he gestures towards the crew member to lead the way. 

With the whispering of murder already in the air, and now this he let out a sigh, muttered something under his breath in the elven language, and rose to follow

• Like 1

Pondering some of the rumors that were heard last night & now the news of murder has Darkaya up for some action other then sitting down. She will gather up her things & will follow her new companions out the door.

When you arrive at the circus, the carnival has not yet opened.  You are led to Almara’s private wagon, where she is standing next to a small campfire circled by chairs, covered with a multi-colored canopy.  When she sees your approach, she smiles thinly and motions you to sit.  She greets you kindly but with an air of business, then after brief introductions she fills you in as to the reason for your summons:

65DBCA55-1185-41D7-8892-E550090E66F4.thumb.jpeg.b2cf8db1e37e3db56df52f0626a40e89.jpeg

She offers you a sizable reward to do so.

• Like 1

"Well, I am sure that you all are fine upstanding folk, and that any accusations against the members of your carnival are false.  I suppose I, I mean we, if the other agree that is, can try and get down to the bottom of things.  Murder is bad for business all the way around.  Least of which mean one less paying customer!  We would of course require access to all individuals so that we can rule them out.  Do you know the sheriff here in town? Are they investigating as well?  And what do you know of these rumored circumstances?  Any information could be useful in determining the actual perpetrator."

"I might have some skills that could be of use, but I am not an investigator. My experience with matters of law are, shall we say, less than encouraging for the accused.  That said, I would be loathe to let an innocent face the punishment for murder, and have even less desire to see the guilty go free."

Almara seems relieved.

She advises you to head into town to visit the sheriff.  She provides a sealed letter authorizing your party to act on her behalf as an impartial 3rd party.

"We shall endeavor to be worthy of the trust you have placed in us." Karl says as he takes the letter.  

Pausing, he considers; "Will the Carnival be performing today?  With all that is going on, I'm undecided if it would be safe or not."

(is the sheriff a aasimar?)

"Good morning Sheriff, I am Karl Ritva-son and these fine individuals are Kendrin, Aronen and Darkaya."  He points at each of his companions in turn.

"We were just informed about the unfortunate tragedy that occurred last night by Mistress Almara of the Umbra Carnival.  She is sorrowed by the events, but insists that her people were not involved.  So much so that she has asked us, as impartial parties, to look into the matter and find the perpetrators.  As such we are here to introduce ourselves and to offer our assistance in apprehending those involved, whomever they may be."

She reviews the letter then consents to let you investigate. 

“I’ll help you however I can.  Please keep me in the loop at least every day, let’s say 9AM?  Know this, you are representing the carnival now.  So, anything that you do reflects on the circus.”

“Here’s what I know.  Our moneylender and pawn broker, Archivin Walder, was attacked on his way home last night.  When he was late, his wife Agnes went looking for him and found his body along the road.  It appeared he was mauled by a large clawed beast.  Upon seeing this, she sped to the office to beg her four live-in body guards to help.  Three went with her, and a fourth stayed at the office.  They must have done something unpredictable by bringing the body back to the office.  When they arrived they found the left behind guard murdered, and two humanoid shapes fled the building.  Many valuable items, gems, and coins had been stolen.

She pauses.

I’m not entirely sure the Sphinx did this.  Though several people claim they saw a large winged creature in the air last night, no witnesses can tell me they saw the Sphinx attack Walder.”

She’ll give you directions to the murder scene and the office, or accompany you there if you’d like.

C1CA64F8-CF02-44B3-AB6A-6FF56D2EEE66.thumb.jpeg.aa3ce4f66167a8d6add0e11538480c52.jpeg
DCFD63CF-77DE-4C2B-8A20-A56EE79924E4.thumb.jpeg.b71bb9f7f74484d435458f6bb3273583.jpeg