Weird West: Victorian Ladies (80068) and Eureka Dance-Hall Assistant

Rigel

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Rigel
      The scrubby Western desert. Early morning. The weather is clear, and Meyer Herrick, impresario and director has a FULL schedule.

Jimmy Ishikawa, cameraman and technician, makes sure the machinery is all running smoothly. 

Grips and stagehands haul on setpieces for the first shoot of the day--a period epic of Egyptian palace intrigue. 

Clapper and general assistant Eddie Green makes sure breakout star Clara Haroutian is prepared and familiar with her blocking.

And here's the Old Man himself, shouting as usual!
      '

ROLL CAMERA! 

CUT! After several takes, Meyer is at least temporarily satisfied, and ready to shoot the next scene the studio needs, a bit of Greek tragedy. Once a darling of the limelight and the boards, Gordon Audifax is now a drunken has-been, taking a last shot at fame with the detested motion-pictures that stole his livelihood. Still a pro though!

And with that segment finally wrapped and in the can (after much hollering and greasepaint touch-ups) the great director moves on from Illuminating Art to the stuff that keeps the lights on at the studio: stock Westerns. 

Rio Wilson and Miguel Alvarez trade squibs and quips that will later be written on title cards. 

CUT! You dash-blanking dod-durned dunderheads! Props knew we needed a castle wall backdrop for the swashbuckling scene, where the blue blinking blanked blazes is it?!
      Someone's gonna get fired so hard they won't never work in this town again!

Ah well, we make do. The show must go on! Change the schedule, we'll take five and shoot the soliloquy today instead of tomorrow. Close-up shot, Jimmy!

Aaand cut! That's going to be lunch. Check back in with Makeup after and we'll get through the rest of the dance number and the saloon scene!

More pix if you need:

This is an excellent pulp-era set; the old-timey camera is very detailed, and the spotlights can really swivel up and down. The director I wanted to look like a coarse, vulgar man with an unerring instinct for what audiences want to see, and I think the godawful check suit gets that across. Eddie and Jimmy have a lot of character in their postures and poses. Their presence immediately recontextualizes whatever scene is on display.

CREDITS:
      Rio and Miguel and one of the stagehands are from Murch's Pulp Figures; the other stagehand is Artizan's Mr. Price. They and Clara (Egyptian Priestess, 03506, without baboon as Herrik refuses to work with monkeys) have been featured before, some of the first figures I posted here in fact. 
      Gordon (Socrates, 50135) was painted so long ago I forget if I posted him separately or not. 
      Edward Dumond (02775) and Hasslefree's Maika vom Ostwald are more recent and may well show up again! 

--fin!--

• By Rigel
      Patrick Keith's monocular Illyrians are delightful, and I've painted up a few of the stubby little fellas for my SPACEFUTURE setting. Then I came across Eureka's Creeps and knew they belonged to the same universe. I feel like the Creeps occupy about the same position in Illyrian evolution as particularly vile baboons do in ours.

A clutch of eggs? Not quite.

Horrible little spawn, all eye and mouth, work their way out of their buried larval stage. 

The adults in the troop bark and yelp with excitement at this successful metamorphosis! 

Some Little Creeps with Illyrians (incl. 50129, Scout) for comparison:

Oh great, the commotion has roused some of the underground beasts on this cycloptic world! 

Gonna have to suit up to deal with this. 

And here we see contact with Away Team Red of the Galacteers (feat. 50150, Betty)

These Little Creeps are just horrible disgusting brutes and I love them. All the danger and ravening hunger of a starved piranha, and all the boundless enthusiasm of an untrained puppy. They also come in Medium and Large, but I like the halfling size of these guys. Great canvases for eyeball practice, too! I may have to get a few more.

• By Rigel
      Lots of pics here, a story's worth. Turnaround pics in spoiler areas.

You should imagine Ennio Morricone playing the soundtrack, slow-paced to start with. Diegetic horse noises, hooves plodding. Scraping, dragging sound. 

A glow of a cigarillo and a long inhale as we slowly zoom in on the horse's master.

The smoke exhales out of his nostrils, and the camera pans down to show it jetting from multiple holes in the Revenant's torso as well.

The rendezvous at hand, the Revenant knocks on the coffin once or twice. It is the only sound besides the horse breathing. 

Panning the camera around to the other side of the tree we see a couple boys from the Red Hand posse.

"Two against one, fella. You might be too stubborn to die, but you ain't gotten any better at counting."
      He retreats. Hoofbeats recede behind the mesa.

(music gets tenser, speeds up)

"Boss! Good to have you back."
      "Thought we'd lost you! Now let's get back to San Cascarion and drain those vatos dry!"
      "<untranslatable screech>"

Other, different hoofbeats make the Red Hand thugs stop celebrating. They look around,

This, they did not expect.

(Morricone music just goes bananas here)

[fight choreography ensues, guns shot and whipped out of undead hands, etc,]

Camera zooms in on the Revenant again holding a cigarillo to withered lips. He holds up first one cracked and flaking finger, then another, then a third and finally a fourth. The barest hint of a smile crinkles his mummified cheek. Counts just fine. Roll credits. 
      Ooowee these were fun to do! The Revenant, an undead Man with No Name, is from Artizan, as are Brothers Thomas and Martin and Fra Benedict, the Holy Inquisitors 3-pack. I used a pin vise to drill a few extra holes in the Revenant. 

The bad hombres in red and the Nosferatu are from Dracula's America, the Red Hand coven 3-pack. 

Horses are from Nolzur's Adventurer's Campsite. They've been on my Shelf of Shame for too long. 

The Coffin and Skeleton are Reaper, 77633. The Tree of Despair and the signpost from Western Sophie make an appearance as well. 

Here's Part 1, from a WHILE back. 

Hope you enjoy!

• By Rigel
      "Aw, shucks, pardner. You know Ol’ Scratch already. Closer to you than your own skin, and always ready to strike a bargain. Just wait at a lonesome crossroads at midnight if'n you need riches, skills, or vengeance. Scratch got all three in spades. You’ll know them by their smile and by the way their boots don’t fit quite right. Only takes one kind of currency—but you probably wasn’t using it anyhow, was you?"

"There's a little black train a-comin; Best get your business right / For that dark train's a-comin' on, And it may be here tonight"

A Stranger Comes to Town

You don't have a horse? She'll get you one. You don't have money? She'll get you some.

Her shadow is cast wherever she stands, stacks of green paper in her red right hand.

(Click for more)
      Took me a while, but I finally got Western Sophie and her crossroads signpost painted up. Added a couple of signs from other sprues. She's a beautiful sculpt. 

While we're on the topic of the Weird West, here's Agent Sam of the Treasury Bureau. A grab-bag WotC aaracokra mini that used to be dull bland white with brown armor; I gave him a bit of pizzazz and a nice hat. 

My Weird West games are warlock-patron intensive, and this fellow definitely serves the Spirit of the Age. Wings, talons, and authorization from the Treasury bureau is a formidable combination. 

More

Guest appearance by the skeletal WWWizard of Oz scarecrow, 80059:

"...Oh, that dark train's a-comin' on; Prepare to take a ride."
    • By DragonWyrm
      When I was working on other figures and had some colours spare I would paint theses. The phots aren't the best, even thought they looked good on the phone (grumble, grumble). I have tried to make the bases look as if they were on a carpet. This was a quick job and mostly involved stippling some titanium buff and raw umber together. Then just added some patterns and colour.

I worked on the figures seperate from the chairs. This caused some annoyances when I rubbed off some paint, but I did allow me a better painting overall. 

The Flute and the Piano
      I finished the flute first. Checking Eureka Miniatures, he is Frederick the Great and the pianist is C. E. Bach. Frederick came with some nice dogs, I added them to my slowly growing collections which I will use at some time to create a diorama of a dog village or something. (Currently I have a Tamiya German Shepard and some small dog which are a larger scale from the farmyard animals set, the dogs from Frederick and the milkmaid set from Eureka, some War-games Foundry dog that came with hunting gentlemen set, giant wolf from Reaper). 

The String Instruments
      The photo makes the hair look more green/blue than it actually is. There is some metal filling too much space under the arm holding some of the string instruments, I removed what I could do quickly and the other parts I just painted a dark colour that would fit. In the end I am happy with how they came out.

Feedback and Critiques are welcome and appreciated. 

• Who's Online   6 Members, 1 Anonymous, 28 Guests (See full list)