Sign in to follow this  
Glitterwolf

Glitterwolf's 3D Printing Adventures

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

WARNING!

As some of you have followed, I changed my FEP FILM, I had succesful prints after that.

Today I had a failure, presupported monster, seems some supports where too thin.

Anyway, I filtered the resin, cleaned the VAT and wanted to remove some uncured resin.

Then I thought I ripped right through my FEP FILM!

But...

It seems a new FEP FILM has protective plastic sheets on BOTH SIDES!!!
Makes sense of course, but when changing it, I only noticed one, they are THAT thight!

So I cleaned it, unscrewed the whole lot, got rid of the protective layer and reassembled the thing.

Filled it with resin, no leakage from the look of it.

Added a few medium supports to the presupported monster and it's printing again.

Hopefully right this time.

I will not throw away the mutilated monster though, I can have it burts out of the ground as a second one.

So not a complete loss and a learning moment.

Just wanted to share this with you all so you don't repeat my mistake.

20200614_162648.jpg

20200614_162638.jpg

20200614_163230.jpg

20200614_164842(0).jpg

• Like 4

After some struggles with removing the protecive layer on the FEP that I missed the first time, a second print of the head printed in midair ( my mistake), but now, Succes!

Here is the Battleprawn with his head, rocks and the rider.

The failed one is in the back, misses a tail and I broke one leg off.

I can glue the leg back on and I will not discard it, maybe I can resculpt that tail point or I will cut it up and have it burst out of the ground or from a caven or something.

Curing tomorrow.

I'm in doubt if I will paint the rider as the Wise Woman of the Scourgeland Survivors ( her official character), a Desert Raider for my Shifting Sands Project or maybe even a Necromancer on a Large Bug.

Have to think about it.

20200615_204324.jpg

20200615_204330.jpg

• Like 4

Something big is coming!

I will print parts for this the coming days.

1st part, Lower Body..

Wanna Guess?

20200616_211104.jpg

20200616_211117.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Griffin or Sphinx?

One of these yes...But no ordinary one.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:24 AM, Glitterwolf said:

I read somewhere, if your're not sure if your FEP has a carrier, take a drop of resin & run it on a side. If it slides quickly, there is no carrier. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, haldir said:

I read somewhere, if your're not sure if your FEP has a carrier, take a drop of resin & run it on a side. If it slides quickly, there is no carrier. 

Carrier?

Do you mean a protective layer?

• Like 2

Looking good! That looks to be an amazing Sphinx. Always been a very fascinating creature!

What do you have to do to clean btw? A friend prints resin figures for me, but there's always such heavy dots on them from the support.

I have to scratch each one off with a sharp knife, which is quite an anoying process.

Are there easier methods? Like supports that can be washed off or something? I think I heard of that once

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Venun said:

Looking good! That looks to be an amazing Sphinx. Always been a very fascinating creature!

What do you have to do to clean btw? A friend prints resin figures for me, but there's always such heavy dots on them from the support.

I have to scratch each one off with a sharp knife, which is quite an anoying process.

Are there easier methods? Like supports that can be washed off or something? I think I heard of that once

First, I dunk it into either IPA or Spiritus ( Methylated Alcohol)

Then into a jar of hot water.

Thin supports will almost always come off after a hot bath and then using an old toothbrush.

Medium and heavy gets softer and are easier to cut.

I use an exacto knife and a side cutter.

My first prints got much more damage then my later ones, I learned to use the toothbrush and hot water first, then for the smaller stuff carefully cutting with the knife.

Thicker supports, side cutter.

After that there might be marks, when cured  you can try to sand / file those carefully ( careful, use a mask, resin dust is not good for your lungs) sometimes I have nicked a little into the model with the knife.

Then I fill that with milliput or green stuff, sand that when dry, and then paint.

TAIL!

20200622_165518.jpg

20200622_165526.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wings and arms are done.

A ruin was a bit more ruined due to some uncured resin floating in the VAT.

Oh well, it's still a ruin..

Edited by Glitterwolf

I forgot to get the presupported files for the Jurakin so I asked Artisan Guild, I got the files and they included their cyclops and a version of Aline the Bold with two swords.

Awesome!

And I'm printing a large bug in parts.

Head is finished, came out wonderful

20200626_215821.jpg

20200626_215835.jpg

• Like 5