Sign in to follow this  
Peithetairos

Behir 77492 - A Lindwurm approach

59 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

That looks great!

Thank you, I'll be interested to see how it looks with the water effect. Maybe I can even get a reflection going for scenic shots.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peithetairos said:

Thank you, I'll be interested to see how it looks with the water effect. Maybe I can even get a reflection going for scenic shots.

There are also Mud Effects available.

Ak and Vallejo have several types.

Mayeb worth looking into?

I got a bottle of Vallejo myself

• Like 1

I will try mixing my own. I have gloss and matte medium, a variety of sands, filler and powdered pigments. If I find an effective mix I report.

The try base texture above was achieved using filler, light pigment powder, fine sand and a bit of water. I think the same with more water and gloss medium plus a darker powder should do the trick.

• Like 2

I darkened the mud effect somewhat, adding first a controlled wash with Agrax Earthshade and then some more body with acrylic gloss gel, Vallejo Smoke and some fine soil. 

Onwards to the tree. If I am lucky the resin arrives when all the vegetation is finished, then I can complete it. 

IMG_20200528_230326.jpg

• Like 10

This clearly shows what one can do with Bones, it looks awesome!

• Like 2

Veeery nice! This is coming along great! vibrant colours, nice work of art.

I'm very interested how you'll apply the water effect. I had a similar attempt to put water on the edges of a base that didn't have a border. I failed miserably in my attempts and gave up on that one.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Venun said:

I'm very interested how you'll apply the water effect. I had a similar attempt to put water on the edges of a base that didn't have a border. I failed miserably in my attempts and gave up on that one.

Use Vallejo Still Water, not the bottle but the jar with the paste in it.

That is white paste and will dry clear.

You can create waves with a plastic spoon etc..

I used it in several projects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First bark layer on the beech. The fairly smooth skin of beech trees will be a challenge. The colour is already very close to the silver-grey of beech trees.

Using a bristle brush horizontally on the wet filler, acrylic medium and sand paste worked well to achieve some subtle horizontal lines, characteristic for beech.

I think I will lightly smooth it with some fine sand paper and it might be ready for painting.

IMG_20200529_152401.jpg

Edited by Peithetairos
  • Like 6

6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

This clearly shows what one can do with Bones, it looks awesome!

I remain a big Bones fan, but as mentioned in the epilogue, the grey material is better and I would love to see this miniature in a new Bones Black edition.

5 hours ago, Venun said:

I intend to use UV Resin by Greenstuff World. Seems to cure in 3 minutes with the torch applied or in about 30min in the sun. Reviews show that it dries crystal clear and can be tinted with Greenstuff world inks. Masking tape along the edge is apparently sufficient, but I think I will need to be careful. Not sure how well it levels or if it tends to enclose bubbles.

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Use Vallejo Still Water, not the bottle but the jar with the paste in it.

That is white paste and will dry clear.

You can create waves with a plastic spoon etc..

I used it in several projects.

I use a similar product for waves and ripples, but didn't like the tendency to get cloudy in humid weather. 

• Like 2

I have used that UV resin as well. It works great but you do need to use a good masking tape or something suitable. I just let it out in the Sun to dry. After 40 minuted it was perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have used that UV resin as well. It works great but you do need to use a good masking tape or something suitable. I just let it out in the Sun to dry. After 40 minuted it was perfect.

Some people seem to use clay. I may need to do some research, especially given it is a curved edge.

• Like 2

So, UV resin arrived, foliage for the beech tree, too. All set to finish the beast over the weekend. 

Intermittently I pushed contrast on the back sail and worked some more on the horns. I will add a light texture to the dark tips. 

IMG_20200605_005048.jpg

IMG_20200605_144744_725.jpg

• Like 8

Getting there with the scenic base. I added the beech tree (after quite some experimentation to get the bark just right) and poured the UV resin. Now I need to trim the edge, add ripples with acrylic gloss medium and fix the foliage with thinned down acrylic medium. Then it is photo shot time.

IMG_20200626_001918.thumb.jpg.c4c1eaab9bb9db0cf8047f8d1e3a6067.jpgIMG_20200627_234712.thumb.jpg.d48f0d2f57b6a381ede262473be391ef.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

I love how it grabs the tree.

Thank you, and yes. I just knew I had to make use of the pose like that. Would have been significantly more difficult with a metal miniature.

• Like 2