Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
So I found these guys at the last NEMPA paint day a I attended a few years back, and decided to paint them up...
I have many other orcs from this line, but not these guys...
I even have the Polly S Armor Dark Green paint I used on the others back in High School!
(I,m class of 1981)
and a close up
So all you Partha lovers chime in with comments and critiques!
This fellow has been lurking at the bottom of a drawer or box for over 30 years.... I finally painted him up. It was actually a bit irritating somehow... I guess that's why he sat in nothing more than a coat of primer and a red shield for so long! Not sure the maker, maybe citadel? He is on a metal part for the slot base that helpfully says 'orc'. All this time later, I love him just for nostalgia and remembering my dad painting up all those orcs... and we never used the minis in play!
Using the long weekend to my advantage, I got a decent paint in on this guy. Meet Gronk.
Trying to do a more comic-style paint job, I did less wash and more highlights with bold color.
* The two-toned leathers look fun and eye catching where they need to be.
* Staying to as simple color-scheme as possible helped me draw this one to a close. (Brown, Orange, Green, ivory, red)
* The eyes came out really good and I finally managed one of those little reflective white dots in the corner of the right eye.
* Opting to not color-up every single ribbon or fold as a new color and simply stick to the simple palette helped me keep pushing forward.
* The shield came out great! If you look close on the edges and near the dents, there's small orange highlights that are really faint. Probably my favorite small thing on this model.
* Not digging his green skin highlights. Did a Green base, then ink wash, then went back over with same green, then brought up by adding white. Placement of the highlights is off as well as not understanding light. Crux for me.
* Metal sword over all has a good look to it. Can't seem to use the Vallejo Metals for edge highlighting. Too runny. Need to swap to regular metal paints and use edge of brush. Love the Metals, but they are so thin and spread so quickly.
* Struggled with doing boots. I want to darken them, but using black just seems too easy. When they are super dark, I can't figure out how to bring the color up. Lame.
* On the dino skull on his shoulder something bad happened. I went over it with bone color like 3 times to make sure it was thick enough. Then did a wash to bring out the dips and dirty it up a little, but I guess pulled up the bone color before it dried - even though it was sitting for 15 or more minutes before I hit it. That sucked. Fixable, but not sure why I hate that color so much.
* Learning how to be 'subtle' is something I need to develop. It's almost like I'm needing to see big swings in the color to make my eye train to it being different, but the reality is subtle would be better.