Sign in to follow this  
Wumby

Water color pencils and Spray Varnish

Any of you who happen to use water color pencils to make "extreme" edge highlights, have any of you also then sprayed down with a matte varnish afterwards?  If so, does it negatively effect the pencil lines?

I haven’t had any problems after applying a varnish. I more typically use them on buildings and vehicles rather than figures though.

Thanks Heisler.  I'm painting the WizKids Transformers models right now...using Reaper Paints, and I couldn't get a sense of depth on the hard square panels.  I noticed as I worked around touching up some places here and there that the water color pencils easily rubbed off...wanted to prevent that.  Once again, thank you.  

Are you using prismacolor pencils? Another option would be weathering pencils from AK Interactive. Just be patient with their website it is truly awful.

Any of you who happen to use water color pencils to make "extreme" edge highlights, have any of you also then sprayed down with a matte varnish afterwards? I always wonder if that's not an underrated way of re-enforcing the look of the rough edges of the contrast.
Or was that only way we saw it?

Heisler, I have General's Kimberly watercolor pencils.  Cheap, multipack I picked up a few years back.  I mainly use these on hard line panels like on the WizKids Transformers, or CAV type of minis.  May consider weathering pencils.  You've been helpful, thank you.