Sign in to follow this  
Dan S

Lars Ragnarson

Welcome to the Forum!

You haven't lost your touch!

This looks absolutely great!

If you do want to go even further, all i could think of was maybe a little more highlights on the fur part of his cloak, but maybe the pics just don't show that well enough.

I would be proud to paint a mini this good!

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind welcome and feedback!  

It is kind of funny, I felt something looked 'off' with the mini, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I didn't realise until after I posted here that I'd forgotten to paint his eyebrows!

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If you do want to go even further, all i could think of was maybe a little more highlights on the fur part of his cloak, but maybe the pics just don't show that well enough.

The colour of the fur has definitely been washed out and subdued during photographing (I think because I directly lit the model from above?), however you are still right, highlighting was always one of my weaker areas, I have a habit of not taking it quite far enough out of fear of overdoing it.  I just need to find that balance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan S said:

Thank you for the kind welcome and feedback!  

It is kind of funny, I felt something looked 'off' with the mini, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I didn't realise until after I posted here that I'd forgotten to paint his eyebrows!

The colour of the fur has definitely been washed out and subdued during photographing (I think because I directly lit the model from above?), however you are still right, highlighting was always one of my weaker areas, I have a habit of not taking it quite far enough out of fear of overdoing it.  I just need to find that balance.

To be honest:

So Say We All- Inspirational by uncannyphantom on DeviantArt

That;s a really nice composition with the eagle continuing the line of the ax swing! Looking forward to more.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dks
      I don't actually have a "Shelf of Shame" of half-finished miniatures like some painters do, but if I did, this figure could have been on it.
      I sculpted Ulf Gormundr for Reaper's licensed Pathfinder line in late 2012.  Ulf is a character in the "Jade Regent" Adventure Path. 
      Although I have painted almost every one of the figures I've sculpted, I neglected to paint Ulf and a few others, mostly from 2012-2014.  Probably it was because Martin Jones was working as Reaper's staff painter and giving them good paint jobs for the gallery as soon as each figure was released.
      Several years ago, I prepped this metal casting of Ulf but then put it aside.  I removed the moldlines, patched a little pit in the handaxe, clipped away and bent the wolf-pelt leg (which is attached to pommel of the sword in the original casting) to make the overall pose a little more dynamic, and twisted his sword slightly out-of-plane for the same reason.

Despite the sheltering-in-place over the past eight weeks, I haven't painted or sculpted much (er... anything).  My painting area had gotten even dustier than usual.  I resolved to paint something this week.
      I poked around my painting area, found the prepped-but-unpainted Ulf, and spent a few late-night sessions painting him.
      The color scheme is the "official" one -- from the portrait by Wayne Reynolds on the cover of Adventure Path #51, plus the shield design by another artist in the interior of AP #50 (I don't know who, but there are several artists listed in the credits and I could rule out a few; does anyone out there know?). 
      The figure has some complicated layering of clothing and armor and gear (but I actually simplified Wayne Reynolds's design a bit for the miniature).  I made it even more fiddly with freehand textures.

For the base, I glued the figure to a plastic base, sculpted a layer of putty over the top (including his last footprint behind him), painted it blue and white to look like snow, and glued on a "Winter Tuft" grass product.  I cut the smallest tuft into 3 sub-tufts because I didn't want to hide his legs behind a big clump of grass, especially in the front view.

Enjoy!

Derek

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dlayeredscenery/northvakt-a-3d-printable-viking-village?ref=discovery_category_newest

Story
      First and foremost, thank you for visiting my project page!
      After the first project that I have launched through kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dlayeredscenery/3dlayeredscenery-medieval-township-tabletop-edition) , I have been able to invest in better equipment to continue to develop as a designer. This investment enabled me to create more natural shapes and sharper detail.
      Support free models
      Support free printing has been a guideline for this project, therefore every model has been designed to print without support and test printed to verify this. Some models do include easy removable custom supports.
      The project of Northvakt!
      The core pack of this kickstarter supplies a large number of models so that a fully-fledged viking village can be created right away, however with the unlocked stretch goals this village can only expand further and further!
      The project can be subdivided in a village aspect, including buildings and several props, And a defense aspect, including the palisade walls.
      What is included in this kickstarter ?
      Six amazing buildings. Twelve different fencing options. Six prop stacks and all individual prop pieces. Water well prop and a wanted board prop. Four different trees. two row board props. Three directional posts.   Palisade straight wall, seamless inter-connectable .  Palisade sharp inward corner wall, seamless inter-connectable .  Palisade sharp outward corner wall, seamless inter-connectable .  Palisade gatehouse, seamless inter-connectable .  Palisade walkways for every wall. Palisade ladders.  A total of over 60 Stl-files, only to expand even more with unlocked stretch goals! 
      I would like to show you the possibilities of this set with the diorama below.
      This diorama has been created by Fredrik Lybeck, owner of the brand: Lybbans miniatures. His youtube channel can be found through the following link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHDoIg6C0JwFffschmTq-iw/videos
      Diorama Close up Close up 2 The village of Northvakt
      The village of Northvakt consist of a total of six different buildings with detailed exterior and interior from a reasonable small size, 14 centimeres wide, to a extremely large size of 45 centimeters wide. All buildings will be individually featured below.
      Small viking house
      Small viking house This small house will be used most likely by the less wealthy viking in the village.
      Normal viking house
      Viking house This viking house is a bit more luxurious compared to the small building, however it does not offer enough room for a whole family to live in.
      Viking blacksmith building
      Viking blacksmith The viking blacksmith has some more unique features to it, especially the boat-shaped overhang is something that makes this building stand out from the crowd.
      Viking small countryhouse
      Small viking countryhouse What makes the country buildings unique compared to the other buildings is that their roofs extend further towards the ground. This makes it possible for vines to creep up on them, which happened to this building.
      Viking large country-house
      viking large countryhouse This country-house is made with more 'natural' material as you can tell from the logs that still have most of their branches connected to them. This buildings offers space for a whole family and includes a fireplace inside.
      Viking large countryhouse option 2
      large countryhouse option 2 The large country-house offers a second option which includes a large old tree which has grown into it.
      Viking townhall/longhall
      Viking Townhall/Longhall Last but definitely not least, the largest building of the village, the viking townhall/longhall. This building is a staggering 45 centimeters wide and offers enough space for your whole village to feast!

• By zoroaster100
      I’m working on trying to get this big guy painted to tabletop standard by the time I have to use him at our next Pathfinder D&D session to represent the Roc King on Tilagos Island in the Demiplane of Last Resort, in the Age of Worms adventure path.

• By Maledrakh
      I seem to have rather alot of (20 or so) unpainted Bones left from the three first massive kickstarter campaigns, and a shipment with the bits from the fourth KS picked and packed and  underweigh in a container bound for Europe as I write this. Which means that there will soonish be more Bones. Oh yes there will.

So, in an extremely ineffectual attempt to at least get a little more of the backlog painted up before the B4 arrives, I picked a few minis at semi-random from the Drawers of Doom™ where I keep most of the prepped minis these days. (There are several (many!) drawers, and all of them are mostly packed with minis ready to be painted. I open a drawer, have a quick look at the contents and grab a mini or two. Then I close the drawers quickly. This chosen one gets the paint. This is the only way I am able to overcome the paralysis-of-choice that invariably descends if I spend to long looking at all the lovely minis.)
      It really does not help that my spending on minis both KS and otherwise has been a bit...shall we call it frivolous... the last few months, so I tend to be stockpiling more than I paint. Even though I have averaged 365+ painted minis each year these last several years, the mountains of the unpainted keep growing.

But I digress. Speedpaint incoming:

Say hello to Ingrid, supposedly a female viking warrior. With horns on the helmet. So, a Fantasy Viking then.

77225: Ingrid, Female Viking
      From the second Bones kickstarter, 2014,
      Heroes 1 subset
      sculpted by Werner Klocke
      Bonesium PVC
      30mm base
      available from reapermini.com
    • By ThirstyBob
      Been painting Blood Rage again, for a friend, and thought I'd post the pics of what I got so far for the big guys. Most of the shading and detail work done, planning on making the skin less glossy by finish and still need to base.
      Any C&C welcome.

P.S. "Frost giant says pls no I'm not ready."
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 1 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)