Sign in to follow this  
Generic Fighter

Mayday! Mayday! Craft Paint Down! Send Help.(May Hobby Goals)

Don't know if I'll do anything in the next couple of days so might as well report. Actually did a bit of painting this month in between work and killing aliens in X Com 2. Have moved my medieval russians to highest priority because they are 90+% assembled and primed. Have been for years with a few models painted. Earlier this year I finished off 25 axemen. I am 8 shields and bases away from finishing 28 slav/balt javelin men. Painted 7-8 of them ages ago and the rest in April and May. So 1/3 of the army done with a scattering of random minis with paint on them from the other 2/3. Just fast tabletop quality but still feels good to make some progress. If I can keep going I may finish the army this year. Only about 10 years or so since I bought them.

• Like 5

On 4/25/2020 at 1:54 PM, Generic Fighter said:

Its a little early but I had an idea and I didn't want this thread taken by another. So, what are your objectives for May? Here are mine...

--Survive

GF

Not expecting to get anything else done before next month so..

I have succeeded at every task I listed for the month!!!! YAY!

GF

Edited by Generic Fighter
  • Like 5

So, end of month approaching, so time to review.  How have I done?

On 4/30/2020 at 6:26 AM, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Hmm...

1. Finish painting a Khanjira — PROGRESS
  2. Paint an AT-ST — PROGRESS
  3. Start painting a Star Wars: Legion core box set — ACCOMPLISHED
  4. Paint a resin garage kit — Not done
  5. Paint my first metal mini of any kind — Not done
  6. Try this “paint yellow over a pink base” thing — ACCOMPLISHED
  7. Paint for my own collection — ACCOMPLISHED

It did not help that I’ve had distractions from work, where my project leader had his contract cancelled, and I am now the de facto project lead, as I am one of the two people left from our four-person, and the only remaining one who has worked directly on the project code.

That said, here’s the proof of the SW: Legion goals.  I got the AT-ST cleaned up and primed for painting, and magnetized the mortar launcher (hence the removed back panel), so definitely started painting.  Heck, it’s even close to the final color!

238DED6B-FB3C-4F9B-8C5A-B4607CF27257.jpeg.c9aa06b34e0f94d0d54522b774dc8d17.jpeg

As for the Core Set, there’s this fellow: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/91724-gcb-paints-an-angry-space-wizard/

And I’ll consider the SW: Legion as “for my own collection”, so there’s slightly less than half my ambitious list done! 

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
typos
  • Like 8

On 4/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, buckyball said:

Keeping with my hobby goals for 2020; in May while staying at home, I plan to:

• Paint three Musketeers for Anno Domini 1666
  • Paint three Polish Dragoons for Anno Domini 1666
  • Paint one more character mini for Slipstream
  • Paint this month's Mithril miniature

I didn't quite make my goal for the month of May. The trouble was that I changed focus mid month and started clearing out old stuff. So I got stuff painted just not what I set out to paint.

buckyball

• Like 7

Things painted in may, 48

Reaper: 5

bones 4 crab man

modified scifi sophie

bones 4 super villain

modified vending machine

modified maria android

games workshop: 9

5 necrons with poking sticks

2 necron deathmarks

psycher conversion

inquisitorial acolyte conversion

CMON: 19

11 zombicide invader driller minis

9 zombicide invader player characters

1 zombicide invader alien thing?

privateer press: 1

1 modified cyris robot

worlds end publishing: 4

gasmask girl

wasteland doc

doc bot

discobot

mantic: 4

docbot

2 dreadball cyborgs

modified dreadball ref

dont know: 6

wrath of kings mini modified to wasteland warlord

5 small lizard people

IMG_20200531_200231~2.jpg

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
Now with photo
  • Like 12

On 4/25/2020 at 11:49 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

So is help being sent more paint, some superglue, and a pack of new hobby blades? ::P:

No idea what my plans are, but I'll wing this... 

- if by some strange reason it isn't finished in April, get living room put back together again

- Paint stuff! 

- Assemble things! 

- keep progress going on Haqq army

Oddly enough, these went fairly well.  Pretty much everything in the Ariadna and HaqqIslam backlog is assembled and based, with over half primed.  One even was finished! 

Gaming table is still sort of a work in progress, but that's partially because it's taking longer than originally expected to find places for everything. 

On 4/25/2020 at 11:49 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

- consume cookies

- drink tea

- maybe get those packages that were shipped in March from the US (which are still, well, no idea) 

- order more Mission Models paint! 

- buy more brushes! 

- figure out how to tag things on Instagram. Bonus points if I actually bother tagging things :ph34r:

- organize minis in living room

Yup, all this happened too, it was nice. Surprisingly fewer cookies eaten than expected though. 

And yup, I'm even tagging things on Instagram, although I'm generally sticking to just three tags because I don't see the point in having a ton of them in there. 

• Like 8

On 4/25/2020 at 8:22 PM, Glitterwolf said:
  • Work on and hopefully finish my Tlemiahuatl
  • Work on and maybe finish the Queen Shannon and her Bears diorama
  • Work on my Love After Death piece ( working title)
  • Paint my 3D painted dog and vampire.
  • Print more minis with my 3D printer

Managed 3 out of 5.

Also painted a Rhino Beetle, a Giant Snake, a Female Kyogin Oni, and a Merfolk Warrior.

I still can't see myself finishing the Queen Shannon with her Bears piece. It's the first time in years I'm not feeling it anymore.

Her staff broke so many times I just don't want to even try anymore.

• Like 9

On 4/30/2020 at 1:54 PM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

May hobby goals:

• Finish a unit of Scout Troopers for Star Wars Legion. Hopefully at least start on painting some Speederbikes. - Nope
  • At least get started on painting a Luke for Star Wars Legion for my wife. - Nope
  • Play more Star Wars Legion with my wife.  Add in a few more rules and maybe a new unit or so. - Yup
  • Print more terrain for Star Wars Legion. Start using it. At least consider priming it.... - maybe, can't remember when I printed that stuff......
  • Assemble more Star Wars Legion figures.  Sure is a lot of SWL on this list for some reason. - a bit
  • Tidy and organize the paint room some. Especially the airbrushing desk. - somewhat
  • Go through some boxes of hobby stuff and organize it. - nope
  • Learn to play Formula D - yep
  • Get back to planning my diorama I want to do this year. - did some thinking on it
  • 3D print more stuff!!  Consider actually prepping and assembly and priming and painting.  - very much so

Final results above.  My Star Wars Legion painting got sidetracked. The lfgs decided to have a Legion painting contest, so I painted up some Rebel Veterans for that (since yet more Stormtroopers wasn't going to show much creativity). And after pushing to get them done (4 well painting figures in 2 weeks is way faster than I normally paint) combined with no massages lead to my neck being too bad to paint or assemble or anything for the rest of the month. Finally got a massage the 29th so hopefully next month will be more productive!

• Like 8

On 5/14/2020 at 11:48 AM, Brianuk said:

Have finished the Rangers as well, so two projects from the list are down. Have got through some cowboys/weird west minis and have some victorian horror style policemen and vampire thralls in the paint queue, for the 'guns lots of guns' project. 

Didn't get to the policemen in the end although they are in the queue. Put a few more coats down on the Rangers of Shadow Deep crew. I did paint some minis with guns so didn't just crank out fantasy minis. 

• Like 6

On 4/25/2020 at 8:23 PM, Citrine said:

My hobby goals for May is to keep painting more.  Since I have had good progress so far this year (wonder why...), I think finishing 6 would not be a stretch.

I finished 12 this month, so totally smashed thru the goal for the month.  I am now at 52 for the year, which means I have already reached my yearly goal of finishing 50.

• Like 8

On 6/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, Brianuk said:

Didn't get to the policemen in the end although they are in the queue. Put a few more coats down on the Rangers of Shadow Deep crew. I did paint some minis with guns so didn't just crank out fantasy minis. 

Here is the shelf of progress. It is overlooked by the pile of doom but provides a glimmer of light against the darkness. I don't want to fixate on a number of minis per month but have enjoyed having a spell of working on teams and units with similar colour schemes, and focusing on minis that I can use in games. 

20200610_074631.jpg

20200610_074634.jpg

20200610_074640.jpg

20200610_074643.jpg

20200610_074645.jpg

• Like 9