Sign in to follow this  
lowlylowlycook

Battle Companies

[Reposting so this is in the right sub-forum]

Having semi-organized my gaming room, I'm going to try to get back into painting up some forces for Battle Companies which is a small skirmish version of GW's Lord of the Rings game.

Since It was the kind of old school, dark age inspired minis that Northstar is making for Oathmark that inspired me to paint up LotR style fantasy so a lot of these will not be the official GW minis.  

To start, I've got some Ghost Archipelago crewmen to be some Corsairs of Umbar.  Here is a test mini.  I tried to go with some white or canvas cloth for his pants but it didn't look right.  

Corsair_Test_01.thumb.jpg.56afef2c3b3fefa0756259165e8ac72f.jpg

Here is the company base coated.

Corsairs_01.thumb.jpg.82891344f151257e509a969d7c4f16c9.jpg

And with some washes:

Corsairs_02.thumb.jpg.d8b94cab1bec752f82f3eed60967a216.jpg

Next, I guess I'll be going back over their faces now that the wash brought out the detail  better.  At some point I'll have to cut these guys off their bases so I can put them down on some wooden docks/decks.  Maybe I should have ordered another Goblin Town set just for basing.

• Like 12

Uh, I can feel the project creep making it's way into this.  I have some Reaper minis that I'm going to use for Black Numenorians and 3 would probably be enough for Battle Companies but there is a little voice in my head saying, "Why not do 6 so you can use them for Dragon Rampant?"   Similarly with Mordor Uruks.  

• Like 4

In front, Some Crimson Knights (with a cameo from a Hellknight and a Black Legionnaire) that are going to be my Black Numenorians, then some Mordor Uruks build from Frostgrave Barbarians with goblin heads.  In the back, the Corsairs have their bases pressed from a Basius pad:

Evil_Build.thumb.jpg.53d17dcf44317aa3079d7e92aa4bc90a.jpg

Not the biggest fan of slotta based model, especially in metal.

• Like 10

Painted the Corsair's bases.  Not pictured, the orcs and Black Numenorians also have their bases filled in, textured and base coated:

Corsairs_05.thumb.jpg.ecb3d411514af0e04a1046dde92ae9c5.jpg

Also the package that contains the stuff I'll be using to make my Gondorians arrived.  I'll try to leave it in quarantine for several days.

• Like 6

I like your miniatures; I went to look at the rules — $50 for a book that needs three other books to play I do not like. ::(:  Too bad you aren’t local...

It's worse than that, they released a version of Battle Companies just before the latest edition of the main rules but since they didn't make them forward compatible put out this current version.    

• Sad 2

On 5/1/2020 at 9:16 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

If you are looking to do a quick paint job, it's always dangerous to include any Pathfinder minis.

They sure do love their straps and buckles and leather triangles! Lovely designs, but not the most brush-friendly.

These are looking great so far. And those Black Numenoreans look like they would be right at home with Skelos, Xaltotun, Kathulos, and crew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rigel said:

They sure do love their straps and buckles and leather triangles! Lovely designs, but not the most brush-friendly.

These are looking great so far. And those Black Numenoreans look like they would be right at home with Skelos, Xaltotun, Kathulos, and crew.

Just the number of scabbards...

Clearly they don't have the wisdom scores to resist the late night advertisements.  "But wait, there's more!  What would you pay if we added an hand and a half sword? "

• Haha 4