Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 9 picture/chatter thread

1 hour ago, ferret said:

I wasn't bothered by GF's post.  I read it as simply calling our attention to his handwritten rule #6 which he posted earlier.  IMO, that rule provides adequate notice that you should only take the free items you can use (but not multiple free items to pass out to people not participating in the exchange).

It isn't about the subject of the message, but how it was conveyed to the person.

1 hour ago, Brother Jim said:

Purple usually means sarcasm.

Thank you, I would not have known this either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ferret said:

I wasn't bothered by GF's post.  I read it as simply calling our attention to his handwritten rule #6 which he posted earlier.  IMO, that rule provides adequate notice that you should only take the free items you can use (but not multiple free items to pass out to people not participating in the exchange).

Fair enough. I didn't read everyone's rules for their own boxes, just my own round. Having different rules for different boxes is a little confusing, but as long as everyone else is on the same page, I guess it sounds good.

• Like 1

We had a discussion earlier about the log books and why they were used.  It's the perfect place to write any notes about contents that you put in the box.  If there's something special and you've put one in for each participant, the log book is a good place to record that.  

If there's a group paint figure, the log book would be a place to note what it is, and let each person record what they did with it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, purple or not, it was still very attacking and infantilizing over two stickers.  I tried to be neutral in my original response, but I am glad I was not the only one who read it that way.

There's nothing in the log book's multiple pages of hand-written rules that the "free" stuff is one-only.  There is a significant portion of the box that is already being taken up by "freebie" items, and as in the several previous rounds I've been in, I've put in plenty in their place.  It really felt uncalled for.

Edited by Lidless Eye
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Marineal said:

Fair enough. I didn't read everyone's rules for their own boxes, just my own round. Having different rules for different boxes is a little confusing, but as long as everyone else is on the same page, I guess it sounds good.

There really shouldn't be different rules...

If someone puts in some stuff that meant to be 1/person, that's fine. Ideally, it would be in a separate baggie stating '1 per person, please' to avoid any confusion.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

We had a discussion earlier about the log books and why they were used.  It's the perfect place to write any notes about contents that you put in the box.  If there's something special and you've put one in for each participant, the log book is a good place to record that.  

If there's a group paint figure, the log book would be a place to note what it is, and let each person record what they did with it. 

Exactly.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Marineal said:

Having different rules for different boxes is a little confusing ...

I have to agree here 100%

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 8:32 AM, Brother Jim said:

Purple usually means sarcasm.

Purple is reserved for humor, soft jibes and fun that is not meant to be taken seriously.  I got a laugh out of is because I have occasionally agonized over whether I should take something or not, decided to leave it there and then find it showing up again when the box hits me 2 rounds later :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

Okay, now I need to wait till after work... *sigh

IMG_20200608_103239__01.jpg

Wow!  what did they do, beat it with a baseball bat?  That got a lot more abused than when it left my house.  Maybe the USPS is using a catapult launch for package transfer now?

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

There really shouldn't be different rules...

If someone puts in some stuff that meant to be 1/person, that's fine. Ideally, it would be in a separate baggie stating '1 per person, please' to avoid any confusion.

This is what I saw in previous rounds where there was a gift for each box recipient like picture artwork or dicebags. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Wow!  what did they do, beat it with a baseball bat?  That got a lot more abused than when it left my house.  Maybe the USPS is using a catapult launch for package transfer now?

I think sometimes its us being so overzealous playing Tetris with the box that once it's unpacked again it completely yields the original square shape.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

I think sometimes its us being so overzealous playing Tetris with the box that once it's unpacked again it completely yields the original square shape.

But is was square when it left the house Friday!  Or are you saying that the postal service can detect a box of goodwill... ::P:

• Like 6

Just now, Kangaroorex said:

But is was square when it left the house Friday!

And it was a brand new box when it started the circuit.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

But is was square when it left the house Friday!  Or are you saying that the postal service can detect a box of goodwill... ::P:

Oh woops I didn't draw anything on it before it got picked up this morning...

• Like 3

I got my box today as well, and perfect timing since tomorrow is my birthday. I started to go through some of my stuff, and I'm surprised at how much I have to add to the box.

• Like 10

My picks so far:

Spoiler

20200608_141345.thumb.jpg.9768f5f6411d02fc6e99613a4e6c3c91.jpg20200608_141510.thumb.jpg.2fa27d930831c0e5a9be9c1961e71812.jpg20200608_141613.thumb.jpg.7fd2efdcc7c588ec97a34c40d7fb75a3.jpg20200608_141739.thumb.jpg.62bd3f50c48b1c42b0526bf06bc70455.jpg

I won't be able to make it to the post office for a week, so I might switch a few things by then. i will also be using that time to 3d print a few things for the box.

• Like 15