Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 9 picture/chatter thread

3 minutes ago, ImperialOfficer said:

My picks so far:

Hide contents

20200608_141739.thumb.jpg.62bd3f50c48b1c42b0526bf06bc70455.jpg

Great picks, at this rate it'll be a completely different box by the end of the circuit. I actually forgot those lizards were still in there. Just bought and based a few just the other day.20200608_143426.thumb.jpg.2a63e4cb4aefe6753ff1644d7d1baf37.jpg

They're great for jungle encounters or games like Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago.

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

But do you really? :devil:

I made it till about 4:15 then spent an hour digging through it. I've already made my initial selections. Might need to pull out more to make room for the stuff I want to add. No chance of getting the mumluk in there... Didn't really think there was, but... Ah well.

• Like 9

I have a question for the group:  when we started the box of goodwill it was intended as a fun way to get rid of stuff we didn't want and may e find a traeaure or 2 we hadn't seen.  Is that still the intent? 

I've seen people not take something because they couldn't replace it.  When I put somethong in the box I put it there with no intent of reciprocation.  If I put a  box of goblins in and someone down the line wants the box but is a college student, I want them to take the box and not replace it equally, maybe they'll put in some art, or even just a thank you, and that is good enough for me.  In fact, I would prefer it because then maybe there would be some room for me to put things in.  This is still what we want the box to be, right?  An opportunity for those of us with things we aren't going to paint to give them to others who do any to paint them.  It's one of the reasons we never showed what we put in; not only for the surprise factor but to keep people down the line from worrying that what they put in is less than they took out.

There I asked my question.  Everybody return to your normal banter ::P:

• Like 14

@Kangarooex The rule requiring replacement of minis taken with  items of equal or greater value is quite clear.  So are you suggesting the rule be changed or are you asking for agreement that the rule can be ignored?

Edited by ferret
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ferret said:

@Kangarooex The rule requiring replacement of minis taken with  items of equal or greater value is quite clear.  So are you suggesting the rule be changed or are you asking for agreement that the rule can be ignored?

Is it? That isn't how I remember things...

My understanding matches @Kangaroorex

tthat those new to the hobby should feel free to take a little more than what they put in. The box I have now could use the extra space.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am new so have no idea what the past practice was.  But, to me the current rules posted on the sign-up thread seem very clear.

Here's what the rules post says: 

"Basically, put some stuff you don't want/will never get to/think other people will find cool into a box and send it to someone else.That recipient will take out whatever interests them, replace a like amount of stuff and ship it to the next person in line."

" When you receive the box, take out whatever you like and replace it with a like amount of stuff.The value of what you replace should be equal to or slightly exceed whatever you take. " 

I offer no opinion regarding the underlying issue but do feel rules and practice should be consistent.  Of course, I will defer to Chaoswolf as to what the rules actually mean.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 2

So, the biggest problem we have had with these boxes is that people are too generous. I encourage people, especially newer folks, to take what they like, even if they can't replace it all. It's kind of disappointing to see someone take just a couple of figures. I have never seen anyone post what I would call excessive picks. Every box I have gotten would not suffer to have a handful removed and not replaced. 

I say, don't worry about it. If it becomes a problem in the future, we can talk about changes. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Too be fair, I know there are a lot of people out there who like organization and guidance a lot more than I ever did.  I do know I have gotten somewhat sloppy in the identification of 'my contributions' vs 'please take this from me' in older boxes the division was about 50/50.  in recent boxes that division has become less easy to spot.  I also know the issue people are concerned about:  that someone will strip the box and leave nothing for those further down the ladder.

In the future, I will endevour to make those items that I put in that do not require reciprocation clearer.  Unfortunately the box has passed beyond me for this round so it will have to wait for me for next time...

• Like 5

I'm not worried about people taking plenty, as long as it's well-intended. If you have a basement full of unpainted minis and you're taking more than you put in...why?

If you're new or on a budget, go for it. The boxes are always filled to the brim anyway. The point is to get minis into the hands of people who will actually get some use out of them.

I've participated multiple times and never seen it be an issue.

I do understand the desire for clarity though.

• Like 10

Woot--some great stuff this time! It seems like every time I think I have every mini from Reaper I would want, there's always a few more that I find that I don't have that I want to paint from the Box. I have had more time on my hands so I've been trying to move away from my monster pile to try to paint more character figs--and these female adventurers and figs are welcome challenge. Trying to get realistic facial expressions and skin tones is an ongoing trial. "Progress, Not perfection!"

The Bones are admittedly for my Kidlings to tackle though. Get em young, get them painting and they won't have money for drugs when they grow up.(quote).

Thanks for another Round of the 'Box. A little Sanity in a time with a lot less of it than normal.

IMG_3666.JPG

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I have a question for the group:  when we started the box of goodwill it was intended as a fun way to get rid of stuff we didn't want and may e find a traeaure or 2 we hadn't seen.  Is that still the intent? 

I've seen people not take something because they couldn't replace it.  When I put somethong in the box I put it there with no intent of reciprocation.  If I put a  box of goblins in and someone down the line wants the box but is a college student, I want them to take the box and not replace it equally, maybe they'll put in some art, or even just a thank you, and that is good enough for me.  In fact, I would prefer it because then maybe there would be some room for me to put things in.  This is still what we want the box to be, right?  An opportunity for those of us with things we aren't going to paint to give them to others who do any to paint them.  It's one of the reasons we never showed what we put in; not only for the surprise factor but to keep people down the line from worrying that what they put in is less than they took out.

There I asked my question.  Everybody return to your normal banter ::P:

Gather 'round kids, it's story time...

So, way back when I first had the idea for this, I was going through my stuff and came across some figures that I knew I didn't want anymore. My first thought was to put 'em up on Ebay to try to get some money for them ( so I could buy more miniatures ). I'm a little lazy about stuff like this, and didn't do it right away. When I got ready to put them on sale, I figured I wasn't necessarily going to get 'what they're worth' or 'what I wanted for them' if I put 'em up as one big lot, but I didn't want to spend hours listing each one individually. Then it occurred to me that 'one man's trash is another man's treasure'. It was also right smack in the middle of long, cold, dreary winter, and I got to thinking how fun it is to get stuff in the mail, especially if it's kind of a surprise. So, I came up with the basic idea of chucking it all in a box and sending it to someone; I figured it would be a nice thing to do for people. In it's original form, I was just going to send the box out on a one way trip. I floated the idea here on the forums; it sparked a great deal of interest. Over the course of a week or so, we managed to bang out the basic  framework of how it was going to work; most of what we came up with back then is still in place today.

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

...those new to the hobby should feel free to take a little more than what they put in. 

Yes, this. It's never been specifically stated that way, but it's very definitely in the spirit of things. Instead of a new person finding 6 cool figures that they want and then agonizing over which one to cut because they've only got 5 figures to swap, I'd rather they just take the extra one.

Heck, that kinda goes for everyone, but I figure that most of us have enough stuff that, if we're honest with ourselves about what's going to get painted, we can easily do a 1 for 1 swap.

The bit in the rules about the 1 for 1 swap was mostly to keep someone from seriously pillaging the box and then tossing in a handful of Bones kobolds and calling it good. With the exception of a couple minor incidences 4 or 5 rounds back, this hasn't been an issue. I'm not going to take that bit out of the rules because I still think it's a good guideline to go by, but I may reword it a bit for the next go around.

Which leads to @Keianna's point. Yes, quite a few of us ( guilty ) tend to put in more than we take. I don't really have any idea of what to do about it, other than stress the 1 for 1 bit, but it is really very nice to see the generosity. So you new people that don't happen to have a lead (pewter, plastic, resin, whatever) mountain yet go ahead and take an extra figure or 2.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

20200611_190216.thumb.jpg.d4a0091606c50ffdc833b0366dbb6a46.jpg

Selections from the Rob Dean box.

-A ruined building

-DSM-5119 Roose Bolton

-Bones Overlord Cavalry

-Lady with book and rapier

-Bear of unknown provenance (I just decided before opening the box to create an Uplifted Bear for Starfinder)

Box should go out tomorrow, all things permitting.

• Like 14

The box has arrived! A day earlier than predicted. @Dr Bob suggested participation to us and it's really neat that we were in the same box and we were right after him. We met Dr. Bob at ReaperCon last year (our first) and several others here too. It's really great what a nice community this is. My husband and I are doing this together and he has already lined out quite a few things that he might want to try to swap for, much of which is what Dr. Bob put in (was that planned?). This is our first box and we've only been painting/hobbying a few years, me less consistently than him. I have considerably less "stash" because of this, but I'm hopeful to find something to trade when I actually get a chance to look.

I also want to say thank you so much for putting all of this together and even having this idea. We've been through a lot since last ReaperCon. Our home was flooded, we had to move in with my in-laws, our contractor ripped us off and took off with the money we paid him after only sort-of completing a third of the job, our mortgage company wouldn't release our FEMA check to us, and it has taken forever to get another contractor we trust to finish the job and fix the problems the first guy created. To top it off, we recently got kicked out of our in-laws because of my husband's step-dad (who made life a nightmare the whole time we were there anyway) before our home was finished, and we were forced to take time off to move immediately into a house that didn't have a kitchen or bathrooms. It still isn't finished, though we do have a kitchen and bathrooms now. So, this box is a welcome distraction for the better. Of course, even though our house is a super mess with boxes everywhere, we know exactly where our minis are. I'm looking forward to passing it on. Thanks so much for the goodwill. We needed it.

• Like 15
  • Sad 4