Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Box of Goodwill round 9 picture/chatter thread

17 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Picked my stuff from the Clearman Box, still waiting to hear from Spawn Number One if he's gonna dig through it. It's looking like I'll probably need to make a few more selections so I can fit in the stuff I want to add. (Poor me, lol.)

Wouldn't it be easier just to use a bigger box?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ferret said:

Wouldn't it be easier just to use a bigger box?

The BoG is always a Medium USPS Flat Rate Box - that way the shipping cost is always the same no matter the weight* of the box or the distance it's shipped.

* (A box that size filled with metal minis could easily hit over a $100 shipping cost going coast to coast across the US...)

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

The BoG is always a Medium USPS Flat Rate Box - that way the shipping cost is always the same no matter the weight* of the box or the distance it's shipped.

I once participated in a similar concept with dice that uses a Small USPS Flat Rate Box. One person decided to put a handmade dice lamp in the box. Naturally, a lamp wouldn't fit, so he just changed the box size. He didn't see what the big deal was, but people were freaking out. They only signed up to pay for shipping for the Small Flat Rate Box and now all of a sudden someone had tripled their shipping obligation. So, we had to go through the list, give people a chance to say yes or no to the lamp in order and we agreed to ship the lamp separately to that person to be able to reduce the box size again. He still didn't understand why it was a big deal. I haven't done another one since then. That box was kind of a headache. This is my second try at anything similar, and first time doing the Box of Goodwill. It's been a good experience so far.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Dicey said:

I once participated in a similar concept with dice that uses a Small USPS Flat Rate Box. One person decided to put a handmade dice lamp in the box. Naturally, a lamp wouldn't fit, so he just changed the box size. He didn't see what the big deal was, but people were freaking out. They only signed up to pay for shipping for the Small Flat Rate Box and now all of a sudden someone had tripled their shipping obligation. So, we had to go through the list, give people a chance to say yes or no to the lamp in order and we agreed to ship the lamp separately to that person to be able to reduce the box size again. He still didn't understand why it was a big deal. I haven't done another one since then. That box was kind of a headache. This is my second try at anything similar, and first time doing the Box of Goodwill. It's been a good experience so far.

Did you take pictures of your picks? 

• Like 4

Like everyone before me has mentioned, keep the box to the medium flat rate size, please.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Like everyone before me has mentioned, keep the box to the medium flat rate size, please.

Rats, another Faux pas!  

I didn't intend to cause a stir but was not aware of the undisclosed restriction on box size.  And, I admit I didn't realize the extra $6.05  to go from a medium to a large flat rate box would be a big deal.  But I get it and will comply.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that using the side loading  medium box instead of the top loading box I have seen pictured in some of the posts would provide about 30 more cubic inches for the same price.  But, it is slightly more difficult to pack a side loading box.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Did you take pictures of your picks?

You know, I gathered them all together to write them down and then didn't take a photo. I think my husband already sorted and put his picks away. He's excited about his new hobby desk space. I'll see what I can do.

• Like 4

I'm not in this one this time, started an EU box..

I have been in previous versions, replaced a box once since it was damaged.

Something to keep in mind what I didn't realize.

USA - Boxes are priced due to size?

EU - Boxes are priced due to weight!

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm not in this one this time, started an EU box..

I have been in previous versions, replaced a box once since it was damaged.

Something to keep in mind what I didn't realize.

USA - Boxes are priced due to size?

EU - Boxes are priced due to weight!

It seems that there's a special box you can get there with UPS where you pay a flat fee.

Normal boxes are still based on weight for shipping, but with that flat fee box it's a discount of some sorts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1