Sign in to follow this  
GHarris

Class/ Workshop Idea

Hello everyone!

I seem to remember some old threads talking about ergonomics/posture/carpal tunnel management classes in the past. I was curious if there was still a demand for that sort of thing? It wouldn't be a hobby class of course, more of a "how to mitigate what the hobby does to our bodies" sort of course. Realistically the actual fix is to not sit hunched over working on a project....but also realistically that is our hobby. My initial idea would be to talk about posture, breaks, eye strain, and exercises and stretches to help keep things in line. Would people be interested in that sort of thing? If so maybe I can offer to teach?

• Like 2

It's a nice idea, but you wouldn't be able to make it into a 2-hour class. Perhaps you could make handouts and have them at your artist station. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1

Do you know a physical therapist, or possibly an occupational therapist (deals directly with the arm and hand)? Might talk to them about proper ways to deal with those issues, may give you more ammo to actually make it into a 2-hour class. Especially if they could teach it in tandem.

Even if it was a 45-50 minute class, couldn't it be run twice during a normal 2-hour session? Not sure what the demand for that type of format would be, but having spent a number of years in lecture, without physical engagement the trend I see is people tend to only tolerate about 45 minutes before they start zoning out.

• Like 1

check with Greg Zuniga, maybe. He's done wonders for my neck and back at past Reapercons.  He might be willing to co-teach. I'm pretty sure his email is on the one Ron sent for instructors and hopefully he won't kill me for suggesting him. He's a physical therapist.

• Like 2

Now I almost wonder if a local yogi could be convinced to come in and do some early morning yoga  classes with a focus on neck, back,hand and shoulders...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Do you know a physical therapist, or possibly an occupational therapist (deals directly with the arm and hand)? Might talk to them about proper ways to deal with those issues, may give you more ammo to actually make it into a 2-hour class. Especially if they could teach it in tandem.

Even if it was a 45-50 minute class, couldn't it be run twice during a normal 2-hour session? Not sure what the demand for that type of format would be, but having spent a number of years in lecture, without physical engagement the trend I see is people tend to only tolerate about 45 minutes before they start zoning out.

I actually am a licensed PTA, all of this is part of my training and I've had to teach people this as part of my job. Not that I wouldn't welcome input or help from a PT or an OT!

I wouldn't be mean enough to do this as a pure lecture, people would totally zone out. I've had to do 1 and 2 day long continuing education seminars to maintain my license...the last one was an all day class on changes in Medicare billing for Part A and B patients....omg there wasn't enough coffee in the world to keep us attentive through the whole thing! Plus you have to practice exercises and stretches a few times to make sure they are being done right, and when you are getting into doing nerve glides for carpal tunnel you have to make sure they are being done correctly and that they aren't being done too aggressively. Nerves are very touchy, you have to be careful.

45 minutes to an hour would have been doable, 1 1/2 to 2 hours would be stretching it a bit unless everyone was really into posture and ergonomics. I wouldn't expect this to be a two hour thing. 

Of course with Reapercon being cancelled this discussion may be moot!

• Like 4

Greg Zuniga here my PT sense was tingling weirdly.  I did a ergonomics class in 2015? It was well attended it included paint set up, gaming related activities alignment, pre and post activity exercises. Also did a general issues section and how to identify and start some early intervention.  Hour was about right though I did get a lot of specific situation questions that sparked some good conversation so some time buffer might not be bad if a croud gets in to it. Though I wouldn't do it as pure lecture. I have no fear of getting people up and stretch and try things out. 

Also I really need to log in a lot more....

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Neolis said:

Greg Zuniga here my PT sense was tingling weirdly.  I did a ergonomics class in 2015? It was well attended it included paint set up, gaming related activities alignment, pre and post activity exercises. Also did a general issues section and how to identify and start some early intervention.  Hour was about right though I did get a lot of specific situation questions that sparked some good conversation so some time buffer might not be bad if a croud gets in to it. Though I wouldn't do it as pure lecture. I have no fear of getting people up and stretch and try things out. 

Also I really need to log in a lot more....

Maybe we can team up in 2021 for another presentation of this class?

• Like 3

I'm down for it.  Worse come to worse and Reaper prefers me doing more painting based classes. I will more then happy share the power point I used.