Sign in to follow this  
XxZambiexX

Having a hard time with highlighting

So this is my very first "free reign" mini I painted. My only other experience is the reaper learn to paint kits. I tired putting some highlights on this guy but every time it just looked really bad. Anybody have tips on paint consistency for highlighting? I tired several different paint consistencies but was all painfully stark so I covered it back up with more wash. Also on the back side there's horrible "cracking" texture. I don't know where that came from maybe I didn't let primer cure long enough? 

20200427_031433.jpg

20200427_031444.jpg

• Like 4

Hard to tell from the photos, we could use some close up shots. What I can see looks fine.  If your highlights look too stark try a very thin glaze of base paint color instead of a brown wash. 

Yes, if the primer layer was not completely dry, or too thick it may cause crackling, especially if you used spray primer. 

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Hard to tell from the photos, we could use some close up shots. What I can see looks fine.  If your highlights look too stark try a very thin glaze of base paint color instead of a brown wash. 

Yes, if the primer layer was not completely dry, or too thick it may cause crackling, especially if you used spray primer. 

Yes it was spray primer I bet that's the issue. Thank you. It was mostly the skin tone being really chalky. I've heard lighter colors tend to be chalky and there's really not much you can do about it. I will try to glaze over though thank you 

If I try to get closer my camera won't focus. Sorry 

20200427_131641.jpg

20200427_131707.jpg

• Like 4

I can't really see much chalkiness other than on the skintone and the boots (looking at your first post pics), and it looks like they haven't been painted yet? If that's the case, I agree with @Inarah, it's just the primer for the boots, and the back of the tunic. A good basecoat should remove that chalkiness.

For the skintone, what was your paint consistency (thick or thin, etc)? It looks to me that your basecoat was a bit on the thin side, and again, didn't cover up the primer texture (I'm looking more at the belly area than the head). Did you also use drybrushing? That also can lead to that chalk look. And yes, while lighter colors can sometimes look chalky, I think the wash you used would have toned that issue down.

It still looks good. Wouldn't fret over any of that, just move on to the next and modify from what you did on this figure. It'll all come together.

• Like 1

First, welcome to the place. Second, your mini looks GOOD. You aren't contest quality, but certainly way ahead of a lot of tabletop stuff, so don't beat yourself up. Now, a word of warning, Original formula plastic in Bones minis hates a lot of spray primer, the only rattlecan primers that get consistent good results are Army Painter and Tamiya [thanks again to @haldir for the suggestion], others may never cure properly. Also, Reaper's Liners make a great primer coat for plastic or metal minis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I can't really see much chalkiness other than on the skintone and the boots (looking at your first post pics), and it looks like they haven't been painted yet? If that's the case, I agree with @Inarah, it's just the primer for the boots, and the back of the tunic. A good basecoat should remove that chalkiness.

For the skintone, what was your paint consistency (thick or thin, etc)? It looks to me that your basecoat was a bit on the thin side, and again, didn't cover up the primer texture (I'm looking more at the belly area than the head). Did you also use drybrushing? That also can lead to that chalk look. And yes, while lighter colors can sometimes look chalky, I think the wash you used would have toned that issue down.

It still looks good. Wouldn't fret over any of that, just move on to the next and modify from what you did on this figure. It'll all come together.

I did dry brush the boots, it came to trying to highlight the skin. I didn't leave any on it for pictures so what you see is covered in wash. Trying to highlight the top of his head and some of his abs was just horribly chalky and stark. I think I may have thinned things down a little too much. But I think you right, not bad I guess for my first non paint by numbers mini lol, I could just move on and carry over the experience. Your supposed to get better the more you do right? Lol

• Like 4

Yeah, just keep painting, try new things, learn how the paint behaves, and have fun with it. 

• Like 3

Place a strong light next to the miniature. Paint lighter (and darker colors) depending on where the light falls.

For edge highlighting, take some ochre and paint the edges of the miniature with the side of the brush.

Miniatures are too small for natural light to highlight and shade, so that's why we do it. Highlighting and shading is also only there so you can see the details. 

I'd work on the base before highlighting. Also, see if you can paint 20+ zombies at the same time. It's a little counter-intuitive, but sometimes you do better painting many similar models at once, rather than focusing (too hard) on a single one, particularly when you're waiting for the paint do dry.

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 3

Welcome to the Forum.

That looks pretty good, I recommend watching a few vids on Youtube about painting fantasy miniatures, it might help visualise the techniques a little better.

Anyway, betterhighlights/shadows is something most of us struggle with from time to time.

Don't expect to paint like a pro in a short time, keep painting and you will improve, most important thing is to have fun with it all!!

• Like 2