Sign in to follow this  
Fencig

War! ..........action scenes & conversions

Awesome!

I love a good story.

The minis look good, the Knight in Red is my favorite.

And the conversions are Super!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Thanks 1

Excellent work and story, and amazing use of perspective and...extra copies of a mini? to show dynamic events. I wanna know how you got the club out of Kagunk's hand. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rigel said:

Excellent work and story, and amazing use of perspective and...extra copies of a mini? to show dynamic events. I wanna know how you got the club out of Kagunk's hand. 

thank you

and yes,  2 of each Ogre and 2 x Barnabas and 2X Count Lorenth ( 1 Count donated his horse to Barnabas). The horse was changed to make it slightly different. Both Barnabas models were converted to tell the story.

believe it or not, getting the clubs out of their hands was easy, i just asked them " please drop the club" ::P:

Seriously , the other conversions were much harder than removing the clubs. To get them i did 2 different approaches

1) Kagunk - cut the club off both sides, pin them back together with 1.5mm wire, re-sculpt with putty. Drill thru hand then very carefully carve around to release fingers, thumb etc..

2) Ughh -  i start with the thumb, very delicate surgery with a brand new Xacto blade (smallest one you can buy).  Cut and peel the thumb back until it's loose. Plunge the knife down from both sides and gently work the fingers back away from the club.  This club also needed a little resculpting where the hand was, but stayed in one piece.  Neither method was markedly easier than the other.

The hard parts-  re-sculpting Kagunk's feet after cutting off base, including the leather strap which i was able to get out of the plastic  by cutting deeply into Broccoli base. Sculpting his throat after moving head way back . The toes were tricky

Uggh's arms- re-sculpting muscles after moving arms way out

Barnabas- the real challenger cuz it's just so tiny. turning him from Swordsman to victim not too bad, to Lancer  very , very  challenging. Still, he was the perfect size, he couldn't be too big since the Ogre is not huge .

I will say to anyone trying  this,

1) be CAREFUL, i was lucky to only cut myself one time. Always cut down towards a block of small, soft wood. Never towards your hand

2) Bones White is a dream to do this, I don't think it's possible with Bones Black.  Metal = you can move to a certain degree, but the amount of tweaking i did makes it limited unless you want to sculpt entire portions of a mini, arms, legs, etc.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well done.  ...and intimidating.  I had thought to illustrate a story like you've done but I would struggle to do half the conversion work you've shown us here.  To sum up:  both modeling and writing were fun.

• Thanks 1

Glitterwolf , Rigel, Iridil, Standifer,  and Russel thank you for the positive comments, much appreciated.

15 hours ago, Russell said:

Well done.  ...and intimidating.  I had thought to illustrate a story like you've done but I would struggle to do half the conversion work you've shown us here.  To sum up:  both modeling and writing were fun.

that is so  good to read after so much work. Just painting 2 of each one is a lot, never mind the conversions. What's really crazy, this is a small section of a much larger story involving some really intricate poses and conversions.

One that require serious determination to finish.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Fencig said:

Glitterwolf , Rigel, Iridil, Standifer,  and Russel thank you for the positive comments, much appreciated.

that is so  good to read after so much work. Just painting 2 of each one is a lot, never mind the conversions. What's really crazy, this is a small section of a much larger story involving some really intricate poses and conversions.

One that require serious determination to finish.

I for one enjoy this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having done a triceratops into a war mount conversion I have an idea on the work it takes to do one, though it was not as complicated as these! Thanks for sharing  these with us! And I hope to see the others!

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, Standifer said:

Having done a triceratops into a war mount conversion I have an idea on the work it takes to do one, though it was not as complicated as these! Thanks for sharing  these with us! And I hope to see the others!

you're welcomed. The next part of the story is a prequel involving the Gnolls,  no less violent and even worse actually.   I told this part first because it was the most challenging ( just to see if I could even do it),  and to test the water with forum moderation and fantasy violence.

I have realized that to do a graphic novel,    it's not possible to use 100% minis, not without a team of painters behind the effort. I can do the conversions, but the painting for me is still the biggest time commitment.

So to flesh out portions, i would need to learn how to sketch . To quote an Ogre,............ Ughh! :lol: