Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

3D printing tips for beginners

Okay folks, more and more folks are getting into 3D printing, so this will be a thread with good tips and file info for the crew doing this. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am to so many members here who were generous with great advice and help!

1. You are going to get better print quality in details with a resin printer. You can get GOOD results with a FDM but the resin is a better choice for figures.

2. FDM costs much less. If you are doing large terrain pieces, FDM has a huge advantage here.

3. Use supports. I know, lots of STLs say "Support free" very few minis will reliably print well without supports.

4. If it's your first printer, go with one with a strong support community. You will have questions and you want one that can get you answers.

5. Ask questions here. We have a great community and you will find out that help is very quickly found here.

6. Expect your first few minis to be a learning experience, so start simple.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

This will be timely information for me in a couple of months as I am awaiting fulfillment on a Kickstarter for a 3-d printer.  They're at the point where they are doing final costing on shipping for all the various regions where fulfillment has to deliver.

In the interim between the Kickstarter and now I've accumulated a portfolio of STL files for figures, buildings, scatter, and terrain set pieces that will keep me printing for a long time.

Looking forward to what people have to contribute, and I know I'll be one of the ones with questions to ask.

GEM

• Like 5

Thank you @Corsair for posting this!

I've just started printing. Bought a Resin Printer, Elegoo Mars.

My tips so far:

• Watch videos on youtube about the subject especially about stuff like supports/hollowing etc.
  • Learn to hollow out large minis/terrain when printing in resin, it will save money.
  • Ask on this Forum, I've had great advice and help from the community, I have printed 9 minis now one of which one was a statue and hollowed out, no failures yet thanks to all this advice.
  • Work safe! Resin is toxic, use gloves, mask, goggles, ventilate etc.. keep the work place clean and make sure to dispose of waste the right way. Clean your tools!
  • HAVE FUN!
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 6

I bought an anycubic photon S a month a go and it scares me.....haven't built up the confidence yet to even set it up......

Edited by talion78
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, talion78 said:

I bought an anycubic photon S a month a go and it scares me.....haven't built up the confidence yet to even set it up......

Sounds like what I went through with my. I waited close to 5 months before cracking the shipping box open. All I can say is, open that box & take it out when you are comfortable with it. Read the manual (it's a pdf btw), watch videos in regards to resin printing (Photon S mainly but they all are worth watching). If you on Facebook, there are dedicated groups as well. Learn, learn & learn!!

I'm having problem with mine right now but at least I'm using the darn thing & what I've been able to print I'm glad I did & look to the future where I won't have as many problems with it.

• Like 5

On 5/8/2020 at 12:07 AM, talion78 said:

The manual is a .pdf on a USB-stick.   

That stick also contains at least one pre-sliced test piece.   

The manual is pretty easy to get through when it comes to setup and running those test prints. After all, they can't sell you more crackResin unless you start using what you have already... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 5:07 PM, talion78 said:

Specific advice for Anycubic, but useful for other printers too.  One of the first upgrades you'll want to do is buying a name brand USB stick.  The one that comes with the printer is the cheapest factory second knockoff they could buy and is very prone to memory errors that will ruin prints halfway through.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Specific advice for Anycubic, but useful for other printers too.  One of the first upgrades you'll want to do is buying a name brand USB stick.  The one that comes with the printer is the cheapest factory second knockoff they could buy and is very prone to memory errors that will ruin prints halfway through.

I haven't had any issues with mine as yet with my Elegoo machines, but if we're providing tips, I would add that at least for the Elegoo machines you need to make sure you get a FAT 32 with an MBR (Master Boot Record), and just one partition which must be a primary (not logical or extended) partition.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Cygnwulf said:

Unfortunately the same goes for the usb drive/stick that comes with the Prusa mini.  Some people have had issues with them failing in less than a month, I haven't had any issues with mine yet, but i also have a Sandisk cruiser 16 GB for this that i use more than half the time.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

& even when you do upgrade to a name brand, it still fails!!! :lol:<_<

I only use the stick that came with my printer (Anycubic Photon S) only for firmware upgrades. I read somewhere saying that it works best to use that for those.

• Haha 3

Ok I am looking to get into 3d printing but I am not tech savvy at all!  Maybe it's something I should just keep my nose out of but it seems like a lot of fun.

Anyways, I see that printers are actually quite affordable and I plan to do more research to figure out which one I want.  But before I do all that (and what may keep me out of the hobby for awhile) is that I don't have a computer besides the one my job sent me home with to work from home.  The cost of having to get a computer (unless I don't need anything fancy) and then the 3d printer might be more than I can afford right now.   

So sorry if this is a stupid question but what kind of computer is recommended for 3d printing?  Can I get a cheap laptop or do I need a desktop?  If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.  

• Like 2

I use an laptop that coming up on 8 years old, and don't  have any issues.   You don't need the latest hardware rolling off the line, so if you system in in the 2-4 year range you should be fine.   I do wish I had a more powerful graphics card sometime.

That said, could you elaborate on how not tech savvy you are?  Just trying to gauge what your comfort levels are.  Having both a FDM printer and Resin printer, the resin printer is much easier to deal with on a mechanical level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Clearman said:

I use an laptop that coming up on 8 years old, and don't  have any issues.   You don't need the latest hardware rolling off the line, so if you system in in the 2-4 year range you should be fine.   I do wish I had a more powerful graphics card sometime.

That said, could you elaborate on how not tech savvy you are?  Just trying to gauge what your comfort levels are.  Having both a FDM printer and Resin printer, the resin printer is much easier to deal with on a mechanical level. 

Oh cool so if I got a newer cheap ($200 range) laptop range I should be ok?  I don't plan on creating many, if any, designs myself I just plan on downloading and printing .stl files.

I am worried I might be getting over my head with a 3d printer.  But I'm not completely computer illiterate and I follow directions and tips well.  Just when it comes to specs and what all the lingo (RAM, GB, etc) I am not entirely sure what that means.  So I do have a little hope that if I get one, that between here and youtube that I can figure out how to print my own models.  I also have watched a lot of 3d printing videos so I have some sense of what things like layer exposure time means and things like that, the basics of the process.  

I am definitely planning on getting a resin printer.  

I just don't feel confident when buying a computer that I need for a specific task and didn't want to get a whole setup just to find out the computer I got can't handle it.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NecroMancer said:

Oh cool so if I got a newer cheap ($200 range) laptop range I should be ok?  I don't plan on creating many, if any, designs myself I just plan on downloading and printing .stl files.

I am worried I might be getting over my head with a 3d printer.  But I'm not completely computer illiterate and I follow directions and tips well.  Just when it comes to specs and what all the lingo (RAM, GB, etc) I am not entirely sure what that means.  So I do have a little hope that if I get one, that between here and youtube that I can figure out how to print my own models.  I also have watched a lot of 3d printing videos so I have some sense of what things like layer exposure time means and things like that, the basics of the process.  

I am definitely planning on getting a resin printer.  

I just don't feel confident when buying a computer that I need for a specific task and didn't want to get a whole setup just to find out the computer I got can't handle it.  

I'm non tech!

Bought an Elegoo Mars Resin printer, it's almost plug and play to set up and get it working.

There are a lot youtube videos out there about how to level it, maintenance and how you should place and remove supports, clean etc.

As for your laptop/PC , you can download Chitubox for free. That's the program you will prepare your models in before printing.

You can already download that and get some free STL files from several sites.

That way you can see if it all works.

You will need some storage place though, when you start printing you will find yourself buying and collecting files pretty soon.

So a reasonable hard drive or an external hard drive will be mandatory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1