Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

3D printing tips for beginners

Okay folks, more and more folks are getting into 3D printing, so this will be a thread with good tips and file info for the crew doing this. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am to so many members here who were generous with great advice and help!

1. You are going to get better print quality in details with a resin printer. You can get GOOD results with a FDM but the resin is a better choice for figures.

2. FDM costs much less. If you are doing large terrain pieces, FDM has a huge advantage here.

3. Use supports. I know, lots of STLs say "Support free" very few minis will reliably print well without supports.

4. If it's your first printer, go with one with a strong support community. You will have questions and you want one that can get you answers.

5. Ask questions here. We have a great community and you will find out that help is very quickly found here.

6. Expect your first few minis to be a learning experience, so start simple.

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This will be timely information for me in a couple of months as I am awaiting fulfillment on a Kickstarter for a 3-d printer.  They're at the point where they are doing final costing on shipping for all the various regions where fulfillment has to deliver.

In the interim between the Kickstarter and now I've accumulated a portfolio of STL files for figures, buildings, scatter, and terrain set pieces that will keep me printing for a long time.

Looking forward to what people have to contribute, and I know I'll be one of the ones with questions to ask.

GEM

• Like 5

Thank you @Corsair for posting this!

I've just started printing. Bought a Resin Printer, Elegoo Mars.

My tips so far:

• Watch videos on youtube about the subject especially about stuff like supports/hollowing etc.
  • Learn to hollow out large minis/terrain when printing in resin, it will save money.
  • Ask on this Forum, I've had great advice and help from the community, I have printed 9 minis now one of which one was a statue and hollowed out, no failures yet thanks to all this advice.
  • Work safe! Resin is toxic, use gloves, mask, goggles, ventilate etc.. keep the work place clean and make sure to dispose of waste the right way. Clean your tools!
  • HAVE FUN!
Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 5

I bought an anycubic photon S a month a go and it scares me.....haven't built up the confidence yet to even set it up......

Edited by talion78
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, talion78 said:

I bought an anycubic photon S a month a go and it scares me.....haven't built up the confidence yet to even set it up......

Sounds like what I went through with my. I waited close to 5 months before cracking the shipping box open. All I can say is, open that box & take it out when you are comfortable with it. Read the manual (it's a pdf btw), watch videos in regards to resin printing (Photon S mainly but they all are worth watching). If you on Facebook, there are dedicated groups as well. Learn, learn & learn!!

I'm having problem with mine right now but at least I'm using the darn thing & what I've been able to print I'm glad I did & look to the future where I won't have as many problems with it.

• Like 4