Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

3D printing tips for beginners

Thanks.  That helps.

Since you're going to be getting a resin printer, the primary software you will be using will probably be Chitubox.  The recommend specs for this are:

Intel® Core i7 CPU

8GB or more of RAM

For the printer itself, outside of the resin, there are two main consumables that you will need to replace.  The LCD screen and the FEP film.  They are not terribly difficult to deal with, but each printer has its own set of nuances to deal with.

You'll also want to make sure you understand the basics for handling the chemicals - primarily IPA, but other cleaners can be used based on availability - that are necessary for printing.

• Like 4

So maybe a cheap laptop and an external hard drive would be enough?  Would a Chromebook work?  I am trying to stay under $500 for the setup.

This is encouraging!  Especially since Legends of Signum announced they are starting a Patreon for .stl files! 

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

So maybe a cheap laptop and an external hard drive would be enough?  Would a Chromebook work?  I am trying to stay under $500 for the setup.

This is encouraging!  Especially since Legends of Signum announced they are starting a Patreon for .stl files! 

I succesfully changed the FEP twice now with the help of a Youtube video.

LCD screen will have to be changed in the future, I hope it will last a while, but it is a consumable.

There are vids on that subject as well.

I think the most important thing will be the storage space.

Keep in mind that if you buy stuff on Myminifactory these will be stored in your library there ( create an account!) so you can download them any time.

For other files you will need to store them and if you start collecting it can get a lot pretty quick.

I think you will be fine with a cheaper laptop as long as it meets the requirements for chitubox and an external HD of 1 TB at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NecroMancer said:

Well all this is very helpful!

But when I get one I will probably be back looking for help :winkthumbs:

Ask away, but you'll want to take a deep dive into this thread - https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88640-3d-printing-general-discussion-merged/

Most of your questions have probably already been asked...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

Thanks.  That helps.

Since you're going to be getting a resin printer, the primary software you will be using will probably be Chitubox.  The recommend specs for this are:

Intel® Core i7 CPU

8GB or more of RAM

Ouch!  After looking at the prices for these they are a little out of my price range... guess I'll have to save up for a bit... if I can just stay away from those elfing Kickstarters it might not take too long 

• Like 3

You can probably run it with 4GB RAM also, it'll just be sluggish in handling. 

If you're considering a Photon, you can also try Anycubic's own slicer.

My most important tip today is to set up your MMF account NOW!

Sometimes there are limited time freebies there. As long as you 'buy' them while they're free you can download and print them later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, NecroMancer said:

Ouch!  After looking at the prices for these they are a little out of my price range... guess I'll have to save up for a bit... if I can just stay away from those elfing Kickstarters it might not take too long 

You can probably buy a used or refurbished i7 for under $500 pretty easily. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Used Ender 3s are going for 125-150 now. The benefits of them is their simplicity, they are basic but easy to keep running.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Corsair said:

Used Ender 3s are going for 125-150 now. The benefits of them is their simplicity, they are basic but easy to keep running.

Funny thing too is most of them are probably new, as people get frustrated with them, enough to sell them before they get a chance to really get to know the printer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, haldir said:

Funny thing too is most of them are probably new, as people get frustrated with them, enough to sell them before they get a chance to really get to know the printer.

a year ago I'd of said you were correct but right now there are probably also a lot of people selling them to free up room for a Saturn or Mono X upgrade.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

a year ago I'd of said you were correct but right now there are probably also a lot of people selling them to free up room for a Saturn or Mono X upgrade.

There were a lot of people this spring/summer buying any printer they could get their hands because of the articles about printing face shields and masks. I'd imagine quite a few of those ones will end up selling with little use.

• Like 3

Quite a few of those were hoping to produce shields for sale... and thought that no one else had the same idea...   

By the time they got their printer, the pros had mostly covered the demand... 

(I know there was a lot of print shops churning them out at cost. And some were financing free shields for nurses/emts and other critical personnell with selling to other people. )    

Heard of a case on another forum. One print operator got an order for 200 shields, and the customer was 'offended' when he dared to actually demand money for them. My guess is that she had planned to resell them.   

If anyone intend to pick up one of the 'covid printers' please be careful.

Doublecheck that everything that should be included actually is included. Look them over for damage caused by incompetence or annoyance.   

• Like 3