3D printing tips for beginners

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay folks, more and more folks are getting into 3D printing, so this will be a thread with good tips and file info for the crew doing this. I cannot stress enough how grateful I am to so many members

Thank you @Corsair for posting this!   I've just started printing. Bought a Resin Printer, Elegoo Mars. My tips so far:   Watch videos on youtube about the subject especiall

Sounds like what I went through with my. I waited close to 5 months before cracking the shipping box open. All I can say is, open that box & take it out when you are comfortable with it. Read the

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

So I know the recommended specs for Chitubox is 

Intel i7

8gb ram

But I am curious if an Intel i5 or i3 with 8gb+ would be able to run it?

According to the system requirements page the minimum you need is a Pentium 4 with 4gb of ram. Those were discontinues over a decade ago. So even an i3 should run it. It would just be a question of how slow can you tolerate.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, cmorse said:

According to the system requirements page the minimum you need is a Pentium 4 with 4gb of ram. Those were discontinues over a decade ago. So even an i3 should run it. It would just be a question of how slow can you tolerate.

It would also depend on the generation of processor.  An i5 6xxx series will run laps around a 2xxx or 3xxx series in a lot of tasks

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unless the slicer is able to take advantage of more than one execution thread then i3 vs i7 shouldn't be a huge deal.  

[after googling]  Kind of surprised me but apparently at least CURA is well optimized for parallel execution so more recent CPUS with more cores will be much faster.  But yeah, since the slicing isn't in real time it just depends on how long you want to wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Unless the slicer is able to take advantage of more than one execution thread then i3 vs i7 shouldn't be a huge deal.  

[after googling]  Kind of surprised me but apparently at least CURA is well optimized for parallel execution so more recent CPUS with more cores will be much faster.  But yeah, since the slicing isn't in real time it just depends on how long you want to wait.

I'll be honest, I have not one single clue what this means.

How long of wait are we talking between an i3 and i7?  Would it just be a bit laggy or is it going to be like downloading songs back in the day where it could take hours?

2 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

How long of wait are we talking between an i3 and i7?  Would it just be a bit laggy or is it going to be like downloading songs back in the day where it could take hours?

Song downloading is almost instantaneous these days. I think that relies more on your internet connection, then your computer.

I got my Dell last year (around this time according to the emails I've been getting to re-up my service subscription......) it's a 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz

16GB memory

& it flies through 3d work.

It was a great Black Friday purchase last year.

• Thanks 1
On 12/10/2020 at 3:59 PM, NecroMancer said:

I have a AMD A9-9425  with a Radeon R5 and 8 gb of ram on my laptop, so pretty moderate to low specs by today's standards.  Cura takes a touch over a full minute to load.  For the most part slicing isn't that slow, though I don't always have a comparison.  the worst I've seen the slicing took about 15 minutes, but this was a large detailed model of a train that wasn't properly optimized.
Biggest issue is if I'm trying to slice a lot of small models. If I've got, say, a dozen small parts loaded up I'm trying to place things start to get very laggy during the arranging steps and I sometimes get crashes (though not nearly as bad as chitubox can get for the resin printer with the high memory crashes)

If I can successfully get everything arranged slicing usually goes ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Auberon said:

I read about chitubox crashing, but I've yet to have an issue playing around in it.  Perhaps they squashed the bug in their newer versions?

Correct the previous version (1.6 was buggy & would crash almost every time you clicked something). 1.7 is pretty stable & a worthy slicer. I do believe they added a save last file to 1.7 as well. Whenever I open a new file, it comes up.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, haldir said:

Correct the previous version (1.6 was buggy & would crash almost every time you clicked something). 1.7 is pretty stable & a worthy slicer. I do believe they added a save last file to 1.7 as well. Whenever I open a new file, it comes up.

I agree; 1.7 fixed a lot of bugs.  Before it always felt like a beta version, now it is a pretty solid piece of software.

• Like 3

Trying to print some high detail ~28mm  with my CR-6 SE and a .2mm nozzle. Turning out fairly good but running into a few issues. First was bed adhesion which I seem to have fixed by upping my temps. Then I tried to print it at a 25 degree angle because I've heard that can help with the quality. Changed the angle in Cura but when it printed the mini was in it's original standing pose. Thinking I may have messed up I sliced it again and this time looked at the final gcode before going to the printer. It was back in it's original standing pose again. Not sure what's happening here. Trying another mini at an angle using Meshmixer to tilt him now. Anybody have any idea why Cura isn't applying the change in angle?

1 hour ago, Zink said:

Trying to print some high detail ~28mm  with my CR-6 SE and a .2mm nozzle. Turning out fairly good but running into a few issues. First was bed adhesion which I seem to have fixed by upping my temps. Then I tried to print it at a 25 degree angle because I've heard that can help with the quality. Changed the angle in Cura but when it printed the mini was in it's original standing pose. Thinking I may have messed up I sliced it again and this time looked at the final gcode before going to the printer. It was back in it's original standing pose again. Not sure what's happening here. Trying another mini at an angle using Meshmixer to tilt him now. Anybody have any idea why Cura isn't applying the change in angle?

When you're rotating it, is part of the model ending up below the build plate?  Also, are you using a setting, (preferences > configure cura > general) called 'drop model to build plate'?  I'm trying to think of what else but I haven't see anything in cura about optimizing rotation. Do you have any plugins active?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cygnwulf said:

When you're rotating it, is part of the model ending up below the build plate?  Also, are you using a setting, (preferences > configure cura > general) called 'drop model to build plate'?  I'm trying to think of what else but I haven't see anything in cura about optimizing rotation. Do you have any plugins active?

I am using the drop model to Build plate. Not intentionally it was just automatically set that way. When I tilt the model his foot does go through the build plate but it snaps up to above. No plugins active as far as I know. The mini that I tilted in Meshmixer turned out excellent and getting the supports off was way easier than the straight vertical version. Will be using this more if it looks like it helps cut down on supports.