Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

On 5/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 4

How did you learn to drive?

I learned using my Mom's Saturn SL2 stick shift. Also driver's ed class. Passed the test the first time, but scored 70s, which is probably the lowest test score I've ever had.

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

Of which 2019 achievements are you most proud? 

Passing the Series 7 exams to become a licensed to work at the brokerage firm I now work at, on the first try for each of the 3 exams. So many of my classmates didn't manage to pass through so many attempts, I'm pretty proud that I did so well.

• Like 11

On 5/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Have you ever taken a road trip with a pet?

Only when we moved from state to state 2 year ago. And it wasn't even that far, but it did involve a night's stay at a hotel. The cats were VERY unhappy.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, Inarah said:

May 3

What restaurant meal do you miss most during this time of isolation and stay-at-home orders?

Eggplant with pork from my favorite Chinese restaurant. They're unable to stay open even for take-out, which makes me super sad. It sounds stupid simple, but it's omg, delicious!

On 5/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 4

How did you learn to drive?

A private driving school program instead of the one our high school provided. Largely because the schedule didn't fit ours. ALSO, two terrifying episodes with my father to learn to drive a stick. He forced me to do it first, on a summer vacation in Tennessee. SO MANY HILLS and stalling! And second, in the middle of the night in the dark on country roads. But hey! I can drive a stick! And I love it and miss it.

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

Starting my own business.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

I'm gonna ramble here for a minute, sorry in advance...

Professionally I managed to finalize an agreement that will add around 400 acres of wetlands to an existing 400 acre forested public park and helped negotiate a payout by a long time polluter to fund restoration of the area's natural resources. And I got 27 acres of floodplain wetland in an impaired watershed put into protection from any future development by a power company that tried to short the state on 1.4 acres of wetland mitigation. I finished development of a new series of calculations to use when a mitigation project partially fails their goals and we are implementing it in stages this year. So far it's directed around $200K towards stream restoration projects in the state. In the past, if a company had to mitigate for wetland or stream impacts they had to meet a fairly stringent set of goals that sometimes couldn't be done through no fault of their own. When that happened they were either stuck in regulatory limbo or they'd just abandon the project and hope that we had bigger problems to deal with other than going after them. My hope is that with a mechanism for awarding partial credit for a project that is meeting most of its goals we will have fewer people trying to abandon their projects or, worse yet, cover up the impacts that would trigger mitigation in the first place. I had four interns in 2019, of them I managed to retain 2 of them as full time employees and the other two reapplied to do another year of interning with me this season - that's my first 100% retention rate on interns (and they are getting so much better, it has become serious competition to be one of the four we pick every year). And finally, we did some calculations in January and are estimating that the efforts of my little group have saved water customers in the state around $4.5 million in treatment costs in 2019 alone (Hooray for positive externalities!). 

Personally though almost all of my big projects fell through. I had expected to start work on establishing a relic prairie wetland on my farm. There used to be thousands of acres of these wetlands in that part of the state but they are almost completely gone now. But even though I got all the excavators, landscapers and seed supply lined up my attempts to get funding fell through every time. Lots of folks said they loved the idea, but it appears that no one has funding for this kind of thing right now. I was also planning on lining up all the contractors necessary to gut and remodel my kitchen. But we never could find anyone we were comfortable with. That's probably a good thing though as work would have started around the end of February and I can just imagine having a disabled kitchen while everyone is social distancing. 

So 2019 was kind of a mixed bag.

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Learning Z-Brush in under 2 months to a point where I had several models that made it into Bones V:

My first Z-Brush model:

g25.jpg.cb8e65b6d8acc12316b41a7ec0d2111e.jpg

I'm so glad you did because I've now ordered 3 of those in the pledge manager. I just keep coming up with new ideas for color schemes. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

57 minutes ago, haldir said:

2019:

Hmmmm, I really can't think of any extraordinary that happened last year to be honest with you. I guess making it to 2020??? 

It doesn't have to be anything extraordinary, just something you're proud to have accomplished.  Like making it through another day without punching a co-worker. :) 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

I managed to get these bad boys(or girls!) finished in time for the end of year competition. I think I made it by a couple of hours.

1002562419_DSCN4008.thumb.JPG.ee3080e39c667ef0a7a6bfa54648e89d(1).jpeg.c9124bf099433f02c336481ef62c0658.jpeg

I was very close to not entering, but my housemate kept on harassing....sorry....encouraging me to finally post it. Even better, I got second place! I was beaten by @Cicciopius AMAZING magenta Marthrangul :wub:. I didn't even think I was going to place at all, so I was super excited about the whole shebang. 

I'm still going through my "90% of mini done? Best put it away for a while" phase, but this mini gave me such a confidence boost like you wouldn't believe ^_^

Another achievement was finally getting at least part of the pirate outfit on Loki :lol:

474262465_DSCN1123.thumb.JPG.5de32dc90ee3410148bf6f9e0081dbc5(1).jpeg.d8157d663834973ce940cabab3432236.jpeg

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

I had surgery? I guess that's an accomplishment.

More accurately I convinced a doctor to perform a medically necessary organ removal surgery that had been prescribed for me in 2012 but because America could not be performed due to monetary concerns. 'Medically necessary' sounds like 'convinced' should have been easy but it involved a lot of arguing, a lot of 'no's, a lot of pseudoreligious 'reasons' why not, a lot of doctor's pride to work through, a breakdown at work, a second opinion, arguing with insurance, a doctor refusing to keep appointments... It was tough. But I prevailed and last August had 4 damaged and unnecessary organs removed. As of this February I'm now down a total of 5 and am doing much better.

6 minutes ago, Inarah said:

It doesn't have to be anything extraordinary, just something you're proud to have accomplished.  Like making it through another day without punching a co-worker. :) 

Or a taxpayer. I've had those days.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

Winning the portrait category at the regional art exhibition was pretty huge, it was my first time entering the larger regional (and I had won the smaller regional best of show the previous year!). Such an ego blow to only take 2nd place in drawing this year!

(Joking, drawing is a much larger category and there were some insanely good pieces in the show. I never expect to win anything, it's crazy to me! Ask anyone who was at Reapercon 2014 and got a rare chance to see me speechless and gobsmacked)

• Like 13

On 5/3/2020 at 8:39 PM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*whistles innocently*

image.thumb.png.6fef31a473f94a37a105e71e12b94237.png

Dude, Taco Bell is not Mexican food.

Real de Minas, now, that's Mexican food. But Taco Bell, while I am not KNOCKING it, is not Mexican food. It is, at best, fast food with chili powder in it, served in a vaguely Mexican style. The closest thing to Mexican food they have is their burritos, and to this day I wonder who makes their tortillas, and out of what, exactly; their tortillas are utterly unlike any tortilla I have ever eaten in or near Mexico.

That being said, I like Taco Bell well enough, but I gotta be in the MOOD for it. Like pizza. Sometimes I want pizza, sometimes not. And Taco Bell and Mexican Restaurant Food are two completely different craves.

And while Taco Bell is all right, I have found that it does not travel well, nor does it stand up well to a twenty minute wait between the serving and the eating. Real de Minas, however, is doing curb service, and their food held up just fine, although it seems wrong to be eating it out of styrofoam containers, as opposed to ceramic plates heated to the point where you could forge a sword on the durn thing.

And no free chips and salsa!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Dude, Taco Bell is not Mexican food.

Real de Minas, now, that's Mexican food. But Taco Bell, while I am not KNOCKING it, is not Mexican food. It is, at best, fast food with chili powder in it, served in a vaguely Mexican style. The closest thing to Mexican food they have is their burritos, and to this day I wonder who makes their tortillas, and out of what, exactly; their tortillas are utterly unlike any tortilla I have ever eaten in or near Mexico.

That being said, I like Taco Bell well enough, but I gotta be in the MOOD for it. Like pizza. Sometimes I want pizza, sometimes not. And Taco Bell and Mexican Restaurant Food are two completely different craves.

And while Taco Bell is all right, I have found that it does not travel well, nor does it stand up well to a twenty minute wait between the serving and the eating. Real de Minas, however, is doing curb service, and their food held up just fine, although it seems wrong to be eating it out of styrofoam containers, as opposed to ceramic plates heated to the point where you could forge a sword on the durn thing.

And no free chips and salsa!

LOL I think that was the entire point of the comic. Quite amusing, though. For the record, we don't have Taco Bell around here, so I think I'm safe from @buglips*the*goblin visiting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Welllll ok then, It's a miracle!!!!^_^

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

Making it through the holiday season without unleashing the fury? Cuz there were quite a few times that I almost went Super Saiyan due to house guests.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Or, you know, whatever exotic supercar(s) I'd get if I won the lotto, since they are all flappy paddle dual clutch automagic things now.

Automagic flappy paddles I'd gladly take as well, despite an absolute love of the stick shift... They're still manual transmissions.. 

If I won the lotto, and felt like buying a status symbol like that... Probably a Koenigsegg CCX or CCR. Those are gorgeous cars.... 

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 5

Getting my budget back in order, even if that's technically a 2018 thing?  It still took until February to have a decent budget for various things, be caught up, and actually have breathing room, so I'm calling it a 2019 thing. 

• Like 11

11 hours ago, TripleH said:

Made it through alive?? jk

Won a Bronze at ReaperCon with it being my first time entering.

I have the exact same answer! First tie entry, a bronze metal. A better result than I expected.

Otherwise, it was a quiet year.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

I have the exact same answer! First tie entry, a bronze metal. A better result than I expected.

12 hours ago, TripleH said:

Won a Bronze at ReaperCon with it being my first time entering.

@TripleH  and @Cranky Dog  are there threads in the ShowOff section for these two entries?

• Like 9