Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

What is your favorite part of the hobby process? (planning, assembly, painting, gaming, competition, etc?) 

Assembling hard plastic minis (if they weren't so expensive that's probably the only bit of the hobby I'd do).

Otherwise painting. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

What is your favorite part of the hobby process? (planning, assembly, painting, gaming, competition, etc?)

Maybe it's the planning and assembly? How about we call it overall creativity? I see a mini, and I just think of the possibilities of what it could be when it's done (always grander in my mind than in reality, but eh, such is life), or how I can use it at some point in the future (any future D&D game I run has the potential to face an army of goblins, undead, orcs, endless evil... like, Avengers movie-level battle). I rarely get to play with 90% of the minis I own.

I also love talking to people about what their character looks like, finding something close to it, and making their vision come to life for them. That joy on their face when you show it to them, and then tell them they get to keep it is priceless.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Hmmm...  Would depend on my mood, but I do find assembly rather relaxing.

I'm going to go with the acquiring side though as to what seems to be the most enjoyable, given how large I've made my backlog these past few months.

Gaming with them is probably my favourite part, although now I tend to enjoy the painting bits too, since I don't play horde games all that much (40k, WHFB, etc).  Skirmish level games are rather nice, because you feel it's worth putting that extra effort into the minis!

• Like 9

May 7

Planning and painting, though I do also kind of enjoy competition (probably because I somehow tend to do well in them!).

The gap between idea and actually painting something is my least favorite thing about the hobby.

• Like 9

May 7

Currently it is looked at my government hobby check and window shopping.  Unfortunately, I was not provided with enough money to buy all the minis.

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

I go through phases...  like others have said, acquisition is a full-time part of the hobby, but I crave the building, especially of complex pieces sometimes but otherwise it's the painting, even if I don't do it enough.  I really zone out when doing it and usually come out the other side much happier.  The planning is a constant activity and I have a growing number of little boxes of "projects" where I've collected the various pieces/minis/parts that may one day go into a idea that has been skittering around my head.  Sadly I have many more of these than I have time to produce so the little boxes will likely continue to pile up...

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Right now it's finishing the painting process, where I can see the completed model in front of me. Feels like an accomplishment, especially when someone sees it and mistakes me for having talent.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Building, painting and playing!

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

The gaming with friends part. Especially the RPG group I've got. 25 or so years of roughly the same folks (with a bit of drifting in and out) yelling and screaming and swearing and moaning about dice rolls. It's a great time. That's followed closely by the painting and everything else ranks much lower. The painting just makes all the yelling and such that much better. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

I like to play games with other people, but not real heavy into miniature games. 

I like building models, but don't enjoy painting smaller scales.

I like the satisfaction of having a finished project.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

I enjoy most parts of the process, except for the assembly.  Even that can be entertaining in SMALL doses.  I’m not particularly competitive in any of this...

But, there’s no doubt that I take an extra delight in planning things, as evidenced by a project planning page from my notebook:

D607D65F-297C-444A-AD81-8FF13BAFC292.thumb.jpeg.1f96f3738b1cba809fb2965c3d590ce5.jpeg

Overall, though, the rush comes from getting something on the table from start to finish, what I usually describe as the “Be Your Own Cecil B. Demille” aspect.

72150885-57E0-4AC3-B2A7-01C18DBE1844.thumb.jpeg.70c3a86c10e9bd0a05cbb6ab76298b36.jpeg

2798E951-B202-4F95-B277-C6EDBDC87410.thumb.jpeg.e8cfd335a8db0be0ae72ee98e2d3dd86.jpeg

Because of the “ownership” factor, the projects that I find the most satisfying that way are the ones where I started with some molds and some pewter ingots, and ended up (years later, of course), with battle games.  The highest accolade in my personal assessment for these projects is to say that they ended up like I imagined them at the start.

• Like 15

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Painting. I find it relaxing. Plus it is fun in experimenting to create specific effects. Especially if the end result is way better than what you anticipated.

Assembly depends on the model: anything that has pieces that are less than 1.5 mm thick and are either crucial to the constructions (being needed to be put exactly at that one point) or are used as connections to the sprue can kiss itself goodbye. I have no idea why GW thought it was a good idea to connect the elf spearmen in the Silver Tower box set by the the tiny decorations on the blades, but I know that 80% of mine had them broken off <grumble, grumble>.  Kits like Perry footknights and Skaven monks are relaxing to assemble. 

• Like 12

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Solving issues and finding/learning new ways to do things, followed very closely by seeing others enjoying my sculpts as well. It is hard to express how exciting and thrilling it is every time one of you decides that one of my sculpts is worthy of your time and attention.  It just makes my whole day each time it happens.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 7

Gaming, hands down

• Like 10

May 8

It's your turn to cook. What are you serving? 

• Like 8