Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

23 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I normally think of May Day & the Soviets parading their military hardware in Moscow.

That big parade was going to be on May 9th this year. But the event has been postponed or possibly cancelled. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2020-04-16/putin-cancels-victory-day-parade-as-coronavirus-crisis-worsens-in-russia

And it would have been the 75th anniversary of the final days of World War II. (For some reason the Soviets always went with May rather than September...)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

According to sources, today is unofficially Batman Day, this date in 1939 is when the crime fighter made his debut in Detective Comics #27. Participants are encouraged to dress like Batman or read a bunch of comics. 

The first Friday in May is also No Pants Day.  Participate by going out in public (remember to stay socially distanced).

Question for today: What are you wearing? 

Woodland Camo...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

According to sources, today is unofficially Batman Day, this date in 1939 is when the crime fighter made his debut in Detective Comics #27. Participants are encouraged to dress like Batman or read a bunch of comics. 

The first Friday in May is also No Pants Day.  Participate by going out in public (remember to stay socially distanced).

Grey sweatpants and a black 'Kingdom Death' T-shirt.

No interest in going pants-less, but I may watch a Batman movie tonight.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

With weather like this I usually rock shorts.  I really am not a fan of pants, as way too many brands, cuts, and styles have this annoying habit of restricting your ability to move.  As for the Batman thing, neat to know, but I won't be doing anything special for the day.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Not saying.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

A pleated black leather sleeveless dress with metal studs, silver metallic leggings, black shoes with a silver lace pattern, and a silver ankh on a black satin cord.

I did not know this was Dress Like Batman Day.

Also, I have no idea why my firstborn smirks whenever I say I'm not a goth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

It's also Floralia and International Workers Day. :poke:

Anyway, I'm wearing shorts and a black "Jurassic Gym" t-shirt, which has a Tyrannosaurus trying to bench press with his stubbly little arms on it.  It'll really be No Pants Day when I get home. :lol:

• Like 9

Jeans and blue Henley.  I celebrated Wed as no pants day.  (Planted bulbs that got my pants dirty.  Had to change so I took them off and changed a few hours latter.)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

Pajama bottoms and a long sleeve t-shirt. Might end up pants-less later on in the day, if it's good enough for Donald Duck and Winnie the Pooh, good enough for me. As for going out in public that way... hey, most stores only have signs posted with "no shirt, no shoes, no service." As long as I have those on I am following dress code, right?

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

I'm not doing "No pants friday" because that means some thing to totally different in the UK

Ok, I'll take the bait and bite... what does it mean?

• Like 9

I'm wearing blue jeans, an Iron Maiden tshirt, and a jolly roger bandana ( face mask ).Will be heading to work in the next few minutes so no pantsless option for me.

Well, maybe later.:devil:

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Ok, I'll take the bait and bite... what does it mean?

"Pants" in these parts means underwear, so a no pants day would mean no underwear or nothing on your bottom half at all. 

The saying "2 countries separated by a common language" is very apt. Here's some more differences ::P:

2049244275_maxresdefault(7).thumb.jpg.e9652b3772b078fa76a78546a2ccd2e7.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

My usual at home work attire, pajama pants and a tee shirt.

It is pretty warm today (like 10 or 12 C) so I may throw on some shorts later.

And maybe I'll remember to read some more of The Boys tonight.....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TGP said:

That big parade was going to be on May 9th this year. But the event has been postponed or possibly cancelled. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2020-04-16/putin-cancels-victory-day-parade-as-coronavirus-crisis-worsens-in-russia

And it would have been the 75th anniversary of the final days of World War II. (For some reason the Soviets always went with May rather than September...)

Just because the italics are tiny I'll give an explanation for those who might not know. Because May is when the germans capitulated. That was way more important to them than the japanese. Japan was never a huge threat to the Soviet Union and they steam rolled them quickly once the focus wasn't on the west. It was the western allies that had the hard years long fight with the japanese. Tradition now for us to watch war movies and the parade on the 9th. Then I watch other war movies and the British and Canadian cermonies on Nov 11th.

What am I wearing? At the moment in the house so sweat pants and a t shirt. In a bit  I'l put on my "business suit" of old jeans and ratty t shirt. Cool today so I think I'll keep my pants on. Yesterday was 29 C and would have been a good time for no pants day. Not really into super heroes (and like Marvel better than DC) so I have nothing related to Batman.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

I am wearing shorts, so technically I'm not wearing pants today.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

"Pants" in these parts means underwear, so a no pants day would mean no underwear or nothing on your bottom half at all. 

The saying "2 countries separated by a common language" is very apt. Here's some more differences 

While I consider myself fairly well-versed in UK wordage due to many British shows (I'm talking classics, like As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, and Are You Being Served?) never was I prepared for "pants = underwear". Y-fronts, knickers, ladies' intimate apparel... all familiar terms. Is that more of a Scottish regional thing? I will say, I do like it though. Means I can have more no pants days and no one will be the wiser. ^_^

• Like 2
  • Haha 8