Inarah

Getting to know You in May

21 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

[Googles shakshuka]

[Now craves shakshuka]

I made it for lunch today.

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 9

Today is Lost Sock Memorial Day. There are few mysteries in life that are as perplexing as the mystery of the missing sock. No matter how hard you try to keep pairs of socks together, invariably one of them ventures out into the netherworld never to be found again.

What do you do with the remaining unmatched socks?  Do you recycle them into dust cloths or dog toys, or keep them in hopes the pair will some day match up again? 

My socks use the Buddy System like I told them to, so they don't get lost.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 9

Today is Lost Sock Memorial Day. There are few mysteries in life that are as perplexing as the mystery of the missing sock. No matter how hard you try to keep pairs of socks together, invariably one of them ventures out into the netherworld never to be found again.

What do you do with the remaining unmatched socks?  Do you recycle them into dust cloths or dog toys, or keep them in hopes the pair will some day match up again? 

I solved this problem. I only buy one color, of one brand, of socks.

Each sock matches every other sock. :blues:

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Inarah said:

What do you do with the remaining unmatched socks?

I generally buy three or four 12-packs of the same brand at a time, and I number each pair with a fabric marker on the top of the toe - when one of the pair wears out or disappears, or the numbers get too faded to read (by which time the socks are generally worn out anyway), I just throw the other one away as well.

Growing up there were three guys in the house, and it always irritated the hell out of me on laundry day when I'd get their socks mixed in with mine.

• Like 10

15 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 9

There’s a section at the end of the sock drawer where the singletons sit; if you wait long enough, their mate usually shows up, often under the bed or tangled in some other laundry.  And if it doesn’t and my collection of rags runs low, the stragglers get cut up...

The lucky socks get matched up with an identical pair which also has one missing.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 9

Right now, they go in a basket with my gloves. Usually they turn up somewhere. I have a bad habit of shedding small articles of clothing, like socks, hair ties, and bandanas all over the house. When my roommates got a new couch, they handed me a pile of clothing that had been lost inside and underneath. Some of it had been there longer than I have lived there ::P:

Also, we have cats and a dog that will play with socks, so it's not all my fault my clothes end up in weird places. 

• Like 9

May 10

When something breaks are you more likely to try and fix it, or are you likely to replace it?

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

When something breaks are you more likely to try and fix it, or are you likely to replace it?

It all depends on how it's broken, and what it is.  I tend to prefer trying to fix things if at all possible though!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

With my supposed handyman skills, I always try to fix it.  I only replace it after I’ve broken it worse.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2020 at 9:57 AM, Inarah said:

May 9

It depends.

Generally, unmatched socks go back into the dryer because the mate is often in a future load of laundry. 

If the same unmatched has been in there for too long (randomly defined), then it hits the rag bag for use in some future messy project.  

4 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Again, it depends.

Usually, the value of replacement determines if a repair is attempted.

Alternatively, the entertainment factor of repairing will determine if I replace.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

There’s a section at the end of the sock drawer where the singletons sit; if you wait long enough, their mate usually shows up, often under the bed or tangled in some other laundry.  And if it doesn’t and my collection of rags runs low, the stragglers get cut up...

The lucky socks get matched up with an identical pair which also has one missing.

This is pretty much my approach.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Typically I attempt to repair it.  Again depending on the item and how expensive it is to repair vs replace.

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Fix it! 

If during the fixing, I reach a point where I realize that it is too much time or money to restore functionality, it becomes a salvage and/or repurpose operation. 

• Like 9

49 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 10

I weigh the cost of replacing it to how much of a headache it would be to repair it.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Fix it unless it is an upgrade to replace.  My best webcam at this time is a mashup of two webcams.  I tried to upgrade but ran into outages.  Also some were selling the model that broke for four times what I paid for it.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Pretty much always try to fix. We're far enough from the stores that it's more of a hassle and cost to replace things than it is to try to fix first.

• Like 9