Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 10

When something breaks are you more likely to try and fix it, or are you likely to replace it?

Fix it or convert it...it depends on what broke.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

When something breaks are you more likely to try and fix it, or are you likely to replace it?

Fix it

"Use it up,

wear it out,

make it do,

or do without."

• Like 11

May 10

Step 1 - See if I can fix it myself

Step 2 - If it's worth it, have it fixed by a professional

Step 3 - If we still need it have it replaced

• Like 10

May 10

1. try obvious things first. (turn it off and on again)  

2. hit with hammer. 

3. watch youtube videos of other people repairing it. 

4. repeat steps 1&2 

5 see if things are okay with out it. 

6. get nagged into buying a new one.  (a ]higher tech version if available) 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

May 10

If JB Weld epoxy and harsh language can't fix it, I replace it.

That said, this hobby has yielded a lot of skill in fixing ornaments/yard decorations that have been damaged. Mostly involving pinning broken bits (and using JB Weld and harsh language!), but also with some crude putty/texture skills for chipped figurines.

• Like 12

May 10

2 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It all depends on how it's broken, and what it is.  I tend to prefer trying to fix things if at all possible though!

Basically this.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Step 1 - See if I can fix it myself

Step 2 - If it's worth it, have it fixed by a professional

Step 3 - If we still need it have it replaced

This. It's amazing the amount of stuff you can fix with a little effort. Unfortunately we live in a disposable culture, so it's tougher every year.

I've got an old busted riding lawn mower that I've kept running for years (it was busted when I got it). It's finally getting beyond my ability (it may need a new motor at this point), but I'm still hesitant to buy a new one because everything is cheaper and plastic now.

Last winter, a similar thing happened with my snowthrower and I bought a new motor for it, rather than settle for the amount of cheap plastic parts in a new snowthrower. 

I wish we could stop this trend of everything being cheap and terrible, but it seems few care.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

I'm not very handy, so unless it's an extremely simple repair (like gluing something back together again) I'll replace it.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Whenever possible I prefer to fix things, though there are many things that are beyond my knowledge, and a few things that are beyond my ability. Given time, I can figure most things out, and even manage to do it under what it would cost me to replace or have it repaired by someone actually skilled at it. 

In the end it comes down to the cost benefit analysis of how hard is it to fix, do I need to buy specialized things that I'll not use again anytime soon, how much time will it take, and do I need it NOW? 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

Fix.

Growing up 'replace' wasn't an option so it was always fix or jury rig or lol sux to be u. Now that 'replace' is an option for most things I still fall back onto 'fix' because of habit.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

It depends on what it is, how old it is, and is it worth it. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

1. Did it break because it stopped working, and I hit it, to try and get it going again?

2. Did it break because it stopped working, and it hit it HARDER, to try and get it going again?

3. Did it break because it stopped working, and I hit it with a HAMMER...

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

I will have a go at fixing anything that does not depend on quantum dynamics.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

It definitely depends on what it is and how it broke. If it's electrical, definitely replacing it. If it's something I can just glue back together, then we're gonna glue it back together.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 10

unless it's on my list of stuff that I don't mess with because it can/will kill me, I will try to fix it.

• Like 7