Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

What new skills have you learned during/because of the pandemic?

I have resurrected my internet gaming skills and have a new appreciation for the group I had and their impeccable etiquette. It really is awful for the rest of the group when the folks that live together decide they can't use headsets, but just have an open mic that picks up everything <_<

I have kept up sort of with my Japanese lessons. My streak is intact, meaning I haven't missed more than 1 in a row. I have only been doing the minimum on most days, though, so haven't really been learning much. 

• Like 9

On 5/10/2020 at 10:54 AM, Inarah said:

May 10

When something breaks are you more likely to try and fix it, or are you likely to replace it?

Depends.  How is it broken?  If it looks like a simple fix (for some value of simple), I'll try to fix it.  How long I spend on it depends on how easy it would be to replace.

I'm no longer interested in fixing things because it's a puzzle or a challenge.  I have better things to do with my time.

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

Work-wise?  I'm learning to be a team lead and project manager.  It's, um, interesting.

Outside of work?  None.  I'm in IT and I can easily work from home, so I don't have much additional free time.

I've started baking bread again but that's not a new skill.  It's not even much of a skill.  I learned to bake bread from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, so I make simple, no-knead bread.  And this is good enough for me.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 11

Have you thanked anyone today?

Yup, my lovely bride, who always takes great care of me. And of course, God, for just having another day.

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 11

No. (But I have yet to speak to anyone today. I have yet to be anywhere within 50 yards of anyone today... I am a skilled professional at this physical distancing stuff.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 11

I thanked the administrators for a 40k Facebook group that I follow, for putting their foot down on people who are trying to get people to "gatekeep harder" and will be booting the worst offenders out soon.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 11

Oh yes... I am thankful for another day above ground AND said thanks for it.

I make it a habit to thank folks for any kindness shown. Kindness is something not to take for granted or  assume I am entitled to.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 11

Thank you @Inarah for today's question and granting me the opportunity to nitpick by pointing out that we are May 12th.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 11

No, it is a cold day in the MvM household, that began with a needed trip to the eye doctor for parents, then receiving a call to come give them a jump because dad drained the car battery by listening to the radio while waiting in the car. Despite being an easy fix, it earned the ire of the matriarch, and it has been all downhill since...

I did get thanked for jumping the battery though.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 11

I do believe I said thanks to the guy behind the counter at the F but not-so LGS yesterday. I've yet to interact with anyone today so far, so we shall see. I do need to head up to the FLGS today thou.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

I thanked a consultant for his inquiry when he asked if he could get released from monitoring a poorly performing project site a couple of years early. I said no to his question. But I thanked him for it nonetheless. I always like to be nice when delivering bad news. Hopefully it makes it a little easier for the recipient and maybe they'll be more likely to find me approachable when they need to deliver bad news in the future.

• Like 7

On 5/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Inarah said:

May 11

Not a skill but I have learned I can handle a great deal of bull sheets before I crack.

And I have temporarily regained the ability to write 3000 words in 4 hours most nights. Not sure what can be used and what will simply be tossed onto the internet for free but... it's there.

Last time I had this ability was during a family death and the month leading up to the funeral. Although now that I think about it, writing this much might be a symptom of cracking. Or it might be why I haven't cracked.

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

Thank you for asking today's question! ::D:

There. Now I have. I woke up an hour ago, it's not that late ::P:

Edited by NebulousMissy
merrrrrrrge
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

I've only seen the postal carrier, but yes, I thanked him. We usually chat for a few minutes any time I'm home.

One of my core beliefs is to compliment freely (but honestly). So I normally tell him how much I appreciate his diligence and competence.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 11

I thanked the Purolator guy for waiting a few extra minutes for me to get there, since uh, I hadn't quite checked the tracking and didn't know he was going to be in this morning.  He was fairly kind about it though ^_^;;;

• Like 7