Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

15 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 13

What is the largest wild (not captive) animal you have ever seen in person? 

Humpback Whale. But that feels like cheating since they were seen on one of those whale watching cruises. Randomly encountered that would be a Moose. Came up over a little crest on a trail in the Rockies and there was a big bull moose about 30 meters downhill standing in a stream. We saw him, he saw us, he snorted loudly, and we backed off to a safe distance until he was done and wandered off. That is one big critter I do not want to mess with.

• Like 12

25 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Couple of bears in Virginia on the AT. 

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 13

It's probably a toss-up between the moose on the side of Parks Highway in Alaska, or the 800+ lb alligator in the parking lot at work.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 13

In the water: a whale

On land: moose (in Newfoundland and here in New Brunswick, so far always far enough off the road it be safe)

In my yard: black bear

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Grizzly bear with her cubs in the mountains. Maybe moose because they're all over here now. Not sure which is bigger.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 13

That looks tasty. Could you share the recipe?

Hump-backed Whale from a cruise to Alaska.  On land, a Moose.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 13

That looks tasty. Could you share the recipe?

Delighted, and not complicated:

6 large, fresh hens eggs, boiled for exactly 3 and a half minutes, then shelled.

1 lb, good quality pork sausage meat.

1 onion, finely chopped

4 oz medium cheddar, grated.

2 oz of whatever pickle suits your taste. (I use Branston, which may not be available over the pond. Mango chutney is also good.)

Breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to taste

Mix up the sausage meat, cheese and onion. divide this into six portions and carefully layer it over the eggs.

Whisk up another egg. Coat the meat-covered eggs in this and then roll them in the breadcrumbs.  

Heat a deep pan of cooking oil to 170 degrees C. Put the eggs in one at a time and deep fry until golden-brown. This should take about 8 - 10 minutes. If done right the yolks of the egg will still be semi-soft.

As a variation I sometimes cold-smoke the boiled eggs. 

Largest mammal: Several Blue Whales swimming in a pod with their young of the Bight of Biafra. They came and swam alongside the small tanker I was sailing on for nearly a whole hour.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 13

A moose, from about, I dunno, six feet away or so at best?  They have huge asses.  Thankfully it was the female, and not the male that was crossing after her... And she didn't go through the windshield. 

Sadly, our photos of the giant moose broccoli prints in the windshield of the Corolla did not turn out.  Body shop was surprised at how little work was needed too - the car could run perfectly fine, and most of the dents in the roof fixed themselves. 

Probably won't ever forget the weird boomf whump whump sound of the impact though. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Scottish Highland Cattle, but those are domesticated, although this bull didn't consider himself so...

Other than that maybe a hedgehog, there aren't many large wild animals in the Netherlands.

EDIT: a Deer... Of course, I've seen deer in the wild.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Backyard: A pair of Coyotes (unless those were Foxes)***

Land: A North American Bison (Buffalo)

***they zipped past too fast to look carefully

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Humpback whale. California standard.

Largest on land? Bison. Or maybe the bear that sat on our car. Sat like the hood was a chair while he decided if breaking in for the food was a good idea. We were in a tent 5 ft away.

Largest in the air? Condor. Big elfoff birds. Width of two swans with wings spread. 

• Like 9

the first one that comes to mind is Big Red, though he's not, really - that would be all the buffalo I've seen throughout the years.

Big Red was a massive red kangaroo that hung out in the antenna fields at the NavComm station I was at in Australia back in the late 80s. Not sure of his exact height - probably close to 7 ft tall*.  He would walk out in front of our division van while driving to/from the transmitter site, and just stop and stare at us - like he was daring us to try running him over.  I swear he would flex his muscles at us, too - very intimidating. 

Spoiler

memory tried to tell me he was over 8ft tall, but a quick search on google tells me the tallest confirmed Red Kangaroo was 7ft.  I doubt that Big Red was bigger than the record holder, but I'm sure he was close. I know he was taller than my brother in law, who is 6'6"

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 13

In the wild, a black bear. Lots of them, our camp was on Bear Creek!

The one that seemed biggest was a large hawk that I surprised on a ledge while I was freeclimbing a cliff face in southern CA. It was intent on a rodent...but the rodent was at the ledge I had my hands on, so it was basically staring me down when my head popped over the lip. It took off almost immediately, which startled me and I almost fell about 400 feet to my death.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 13

Not captive? Hmm, that cuts down on a lot of zoo animals and aquariums.

So I believe it would be a moose, just last year, walking on the side of the road. I slowed down, drove around it, and went on my way.

Other large ones would be black bears. Anything else would be classified as general domesticated farm animals.

Currently whaleless for water travel.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10