Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

37 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

While I consider myself fairly well-versed in UK wordage due to many British shows (I'm talking classics, like As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, and Are You Being Served?) never was I prepared for "pants = underwear". Y-fronts, knickers, ladies' intimate apparel... all familiar terms. Is that more of a Scottish regional thing? I will say, I do like it though. Means I can have more no pants days and no one will be the wiser. ^_^

As far as I'm aware, the word "pants" is used for underwear all over the UK. I'll also use the word "breeks", but that might be a Highland thing. Here's a longer article on the differences between the two countries words.

https://www.boredpanda.com/british-american-english-differences-language/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

According to sources, today is unofficially Batman Day, this date in 1939 is when the crime fighter made his debut in Detective Comics #27. Participants are encouraged to dress like Batman or read a bunch of comics. 

The first Friday in May is also No Pants Day.  Participate by going out in public (remember to stay socially distanced).

Question for today: What are you wearing? 

Jeans. Tank top. Nothing fun :down:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 1 

According to sources, today is unofficially Batman Day, this date in 1939 is when the crime fighter made his debut in Detective Comics #27. Participants are encouraged to dress like Batman or read a bunch of comics. 

The first Friday in May is also No Pants Day.  Participate by going out in public (remember to stay socially distanced).

The usual; blue jeans and a black polo shirt with a pocket.  It’s still cool, so I also have a Gencon hoodie on.  Altogether that gives me enough pockets to work with...

• Like 9

May 1 

Quarantinewear: flannel shirt, t-shirt, lounge pants, wool socks. A couple of times a week I may need to put on actual pants to go to the office to grab or return supplies or go shopping for necessities.

I hate it, but I'm not going to beat up my suits by wearing them in my recliner all day. And I'm not beating up my back by working at the kitchen table all day. Definitely looking forward to suiting up when we start working out of the physical building again.

• Like 11

May 1 

Muddy jeans, old workboots, a ball cap with the state flag on it, and layers of cotton tshirts and sweaters that I've been gradually removing as the day warms up. So, my normal work outfit. Took a day off of the work from home thing to get soil and get all my various garden areas ready for planting. 

• Like 9

May 1 

Chinos, polo-shirt and a fleece, oh and definitely pants. (Thank you for the educational message Kuroneko. Now explain to the Americans what a vest is.)

And as it is 1st. of May I shall be humming The Internationale.

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Chinos, polo-shirt and a fleece, oh and definitely pants. (Thank you for the educational message Kuroneko. Now explain to the Americans what a vest is.)

And as it is 1st. of May I shall be humming The Internationale.

vest. British English: vest /vɛst/ NOUN. A vest is a piece of underwear which is worn to keep the top part of your body warm. Thank you Google. But no idea what it's supposed to look like. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

As we (hubby & I) are painting our bathroom this weekend, painters whites alternating with lounge pants & tees are what is being worn here.

The offspring, mostly our youngest, got tired of being offended by people walking around in the house without pants, mostly his older brother, and as part of the first armistice agreement of 2016 the common areas of the house are designed 'must wear pants' zones so we are not participating in NPFs (No pants Fridays). 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

1 hour ago, Zink said:

vest. British English: vest /vɛst/ NOUN. A vest is a piece of underwear which is worn to keep the top part of your body warm. Thank you Google. But no idea what it's supposed to look like. 

Here's a good example of a nice white vest modeled by the best Avenger, Captain America

812145010_OIP(1).jpeg.6cf1a42540875bdfc817abca12bb585a.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Here's a good example of a nice white vest modeled by the best Avenger, Captain America

812145010_OIP(1).jpeg.6cf1a42540875bdfc817abca12bb585a.jpeg

Around here that is often called a "wife beater" as a symbol of lowest class scum who may wear them. Or more popularly a "tank top". We aren't the most politically correct at times.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Zink said:

Around here that is often called a "wife beater" as a symbol of lowest class scum who may wear them. Or more popularly a "tank top". We aren't the most politically correct at times.

I've always called them a muscle shirt... ::P:

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Zink said:

I always wondered what "wife beater" meant when I read it in books, but there was no way I was googling that particular phrase ::P:  Here the word " tank top" refers to a jumper(sweater) with no sleeves. Which just looks silly, but there you go.

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I've always called them a muscle shirt... ::P:

I always thought that was just one of those tight white t-shirts that buff blokes wear. I'd post a picture, but I'm not sure that this thread could handle more pictures of Chris Evans....

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

^ called a wife beater because since the garment became popular as well as television, a vast majority of people shown being arrested for spousal/domestic abuse were shown wearing one by the news.

Where I'm from, a muscle shirt generally means any shirt that displays one's muscles. Could be a sleeveless shirt, or a very tight-fitting one.

Isn't language amazing?

• Like 8

May 2: 

Have you ever taken a road trip with a pet?

• Like 5

Just now, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Have you ever taken a road trip with a pet?

I never take road trips, I only drive to a destination, not driving around just for fun.

• Like 7