Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

May 17

What futuristic thing from a sci-fi movie or book do you really wish existed right now?

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 17

What futuristic thing from a sci-fi movie or book do you really wish existed right now?

Cloned dinosaurs, because that always works out well :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

40 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 17

My own personal Jarvis, complete with tactile holographic interface. 

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 17

45 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

Med bay that removes all infections.

That med bay from Elysium with Matt Damon.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 17

I go along with Chaoswolf on the transporters idea. I like the "poof" & your there concept.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 9

47 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 17

This could be one of those be careful what you wish for scenarios...

44 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Transporters.

You say that, but, imagine the shenanigans people would get up to with that...

...Star Trek was peopled with al these nice, honest, altruistic, fair-minded, decent folk. Can you imagine what a burglar could manage with a bunch of transporter credits in hand?  And how many people are accidentally killed-in-transit when they try to beam into a bank vault or other secured place inadvertently,...just by mistake. 

42 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

Med bay that removes all infections.

A Larry Niven, Known Space, AutoDoc, now that would be something!  But I will settle for full Star Fleet Medical Tech as practiced by Drs. Pulaski or Crusher; that would do nicely.

12 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Cloned dinosaurs, because that always works out well :lol:

Really Dinosaurs were overrated...and OK they're warmblooded probably, and have feathering and down as body covering, but what if they were only about as fast as tree sloths??   Active non-cold blooded things but.....sloooooooowwww.  Just like the mammalian mega-fauna.  Speed and quick reaction times might be a rather new thing on the evolutionary time scale.

I want replicators. Reliable, reasonably fast, replicators. Not these poncy, cumbersome 3D printers that exist now, but proper replicators.

We had that... I might could get a decent Dominos Pizza. Or, I could get a better Pizza from someplace better than Dominos! (dream big why don't I ?)

( I have, sadly, completely given up on flying cars like the Jetsons zipped around in.  ::(: )

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Go right ahead, I have a fierce @Paradoxical Mouse protecting my pockets. ::P:

Who do you think slipped Fluffy in last time?

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 17

Replacement spines

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 17

High quality, TNG era replicators. Everything from industrial to personal scale, with a complete library of patterns and a clean power supply able to take care of them all. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 17

I got a list of stuff I'd like, but know it's a bad idea.

• Holodecks? Nah, the power bill will be outrageous.
  • Jet packs? Nah, I flew enough to know it'll still take forever to get any place, also exposed to the weather, and the whole falling if out of fuel bit.
  • Fully immersive virtual reality? Nah, it always takes more equipment than you can fit in an apartment. I'd trip over the wires, neglect personal hygiene, and it won't replace a good cheeseburger.
  • Transporters? Nah, useful for deliveries, but sometimes you're in it for the journey and not the destination. Auto-manufacturers and big oil will not approve.
  • 3D television? It already exists! And it still fails in so many ways.
  • Light Sabers? Nah, I'd like to keep my fingers and extremities.

The ones I really want:

• Faster than light travel and communication. I want to colonize space and instant communication dangit!
  • Universal translators. Ideally, not one that translates everything in my native tongue, but one where I understand the language as a native speaker where I get idioms and cultural references.
  • Fusion power. Clean and safe (and perpetually 20 years away)
  • Organ cloning. I got a few body parts with expired warranties I'd like to replace.

Uncertain:

• A.I. I'm pretty sure Hollywood and futurologists have had it wrong more often than not. Long term benefits are uncertain. Society will need to adapt.
Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, Crowley said:

High quality, TNG era replicators. Everything from industrial to personal scale, with a complete library of patterns and a clean power supply able to take care of them all. 

@Dr.Bedlam once asked how does the Federation economy work   (what with credits? latinum? di-lithium? and replicators all floating around)  and I decided that the ultimate answer is that there is one fundamental commodity in Federation Space: Energy

Federation currency (credits) is likely defined by setting 1 Credit as a quantity of energy. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 17

So many possible good things to go in here, but I'm going to go with space folding drives. 

Alternate answer: blade launchers from Tribes...  Aka the Spinfusor. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

What can sci-fi provide that epic-level magic can't already do? :B):

- dancing clockwork people

- beeyou, bazooou sabers of light/plasma/energy/scifispacdvoodoo

... Probably more too... 

• Like 8