Inarah

Getting to know You in May

On 5/15/2020 at 8:50 AM, Kuroneko said:

So, so many! Goroloth is going to be painted mostly blue/black with a white/turquoise osl effect on his glowing tentacles, like one of those terrifying deep sea fish coming out of the gloom. I've gotten 2 of each of the big dragons so that I can do a chromatic and metallic version of each one, and my Arakoth the giant spiders(3 bought so far!) will be painted to match these fine fellows

Spoiler for spider pictures

Hide contents

DSCN0460.thumb.jpg.a47a4c2bfb06531be552b2eb350ad311.jpg

Thank you!  :) 

By the way, that fist spider picture is of the same species that I used as reference art when making her bum. Well, one of several anyway; she's really an amalgamation of about 10 species with a hardy dose of "fantasy" and "Ron Hawkins" added in for good measure.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:48 AM, Inarah said:

May 15

What song lyrics are stuck in your head right now? 

"Halleluah" as sung by Pentatonix

On 5/16/2020 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 16

Name an activity that makes you feel good, physically or emotionally.

Kayaking and fishing, preferably at the same time.

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 17

What futuristic thing from a sci-fi movie or book do you really wish existed right now?

Medical technology and clean fusion energy.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 17

What futuristic thing from a sci-fi movie or book do you really wish existed right now?

Star Trek-level medicine.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

May 18 

Of the things you learned in grade school (elementary school) what has been the most useful as an adult? 

• Like 4

I'd say reading, but I actually learned to read before elementary school, so I'll say writing.  Considering that I made a career out of writing, that would seem to be the most apropos.

• Like 11

54 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Of the things you learned in grade school (elementary school) what has been the most useful as an adult? 

Learning to write, particularly cursive, and multiplication tables.

I already knew how to draw and read, so those trends just continued.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Parental worry during disasters.

My third grade teacher's son was in the armed forces, tank driver. The Gulf War happened while I was in the third grade. He had tenure so he told us everything.

His kid was fine. The worst of it came when a bomb took out the tank next to his.

• Like 8

On 5/16/2020 at 11:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 16

Name an activity that makes you feel good, physically or emotionally.

Anything where I get to spend time out of doors, preferably in a forested wetland without trails. But any place with lots of native flora and fauna that's big enough to not see the edge of it from the interior will do. It recharges me emotionally and I generally feel good physically after spending a day hiking (or splorching around in the mud).

Also, any hobby where I end up producing something. Mini painting, homebrewing, gardening, etc... I just enjoy being sort of productive.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:50 AM, Inarah said:

May 17

Teleportation/transporters. I generally hate long drives.

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

I believe they called it the 3 R's when I was a kid. Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. I also learned to read a compass in grade school which has been very useful given my answer for the 16th above.

• Like 8

Read and wrote before Elementary School.  Math but I used Math learned at the University level.  Learned slide rule in Elementary but that was done just after I graduated from the University.

Things I enjoyed that I learned was History.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Umm....printing, I guess.

See, I had two teachers as parents, two older sisters, and a best friend who was  a year ahead of me.  And I was apparently a pretty clever kid (no, I don't know what happened to that either :poke:).

I was reading well before school started and learned all my early math at home too.  

But my hand writing has always been terrible, so that fact I can actually print legibly is probably due to all those sheets we did in school.

BTW, I'm not saying cursive writing because I pretty much gave up on using it back in university, since I couldn't read my own notes.  The only thing I write now is my signature, and it is rapidly devolving into a random squiggle.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Basic math, like multiplication tables and such. You have no idea how many times, when I tutored freshman in college, I saw them reaching for their calculators to do simple math like 3x + 5x, or 4(5xy). Yes, we didn't use the fancy x's and y's in elementary school, but the basic math and addition still holds up!

This is on top of the fact that every new freshman class at university was touted as "the brightest class yet." Evidence suggested the contrary.

11 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Transporters are a very close second.

Saw this one pop up a lot from yesterday's question. My question is... would you use it like in Space Balls, to go from one room to the one right next door? :poke:

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

I learned two things, although I forgot how to somehow cut yourself with those "child-safe" scissors... 

So instead I'll go with "learnt how not to cut oneself with scissors" alongside "learned how to use right handed scissors as a leftie.  Bonus points for learning numerous creative ways to handle rubber cement....

• Like 9

May 18 

the person in charge is frequently lying.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Thinking back I also learned to elf authority in elementary school. I learned that adults were not worthy of respect just because they were older than me. They had to earn my respect and to earn their authority over me. I still have no respect for age and have never made the connection that age is equal to experience and therefore needs to be listened to. Experience is equal to experience, age is equal to age; an old dude's opinion on how the world works is simply old and shouldn't be upheld just because it's old. Stand on merit or gtfo.

My first grade teacher bullied me all through elementary school. Never figured out why. I never had the anti-authoritarian awakening in my teenaged years because the 'adults know better now shut up' brainwashing never had the chance to kick in. It may have made me a little terror to those adults who decided they had authority over me and backed it only with 'because I'm an adult'.

• Like 8

May 18 

Don't get caught.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6