Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Of the things you learned in grade school (elementary school) what has been the most useful as an adult? 

Outside of the three R's, from Sister Marie Catherine in 5th/6th grade - scientific method. Testing, analyzing, and concluding whether or not what you think it is is actually true. And then being able to talk about it whether or not the answer agrees with you. She was an amazing science teacher.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

the person in charge is frequently lying.

19 minutes ago, CashWiley said:

Don't get caught.

Absolutely these.

• Like 8

May 18 

Of the things you learned in grade school (elementary school) what has been the most useful as an adult? 

The obvious answer would be reading and writing.

Being a short redheaded kid seemed to attract bullies, so I learned to fight pretty early.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

How to read a map and public transit schedules.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Actually useful,  basic arithmetic, otherwise, people are generally horrible and only out for their own benefit 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'd say reading, but I actually learned to read before elementary school, so I'll say writing.  Considering that I made a career out of writing, that would seem to be the most apropos.

It's hard for me to argue with basic literacy as a foundational element of how I live my life.

After that, probably basic social skills.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Art. No doubt, art.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

This is hard for me to answer because the really useful things I learned at that age were learned outside of the school (things like reading, writing, math, multiplying decimal numbers, computer programming).  (Fun fact: I learned to multiply decimal numbers (7 or 8) before I learned to tie my shoes (9).)

So I'll go with: D'Nealian handwriting.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

That people are elfholes and you shouldn’t depend on most of them too much.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Reading, Writing, and basic math seems to be the most common and useful things. I do all of them regularly. Simple math is really handy when playing Pathfinder. It's amazing how poorly one of my friends manages to add her dice and bonuses together during a game.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 18 

Basic math and geometry get used the most often. Dealing with @holes and learning to stand up for myself was very important as well although not used as often anymore.

• Like 7

On 5/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, Inarah said:

May 18 

Just because they are in a position of authority doesn't mean they know everything, or even necessarily not than you. And some people really really don't like being questioned.

32 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 19

Happiness is.....?

Coffee! 

• Like 10