Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

What aspect(s) of social distancing/home quarantine have been the biggest challenge for you to handle?

I will leave you with a couple of days to think about that.  On Monday the amazing Glitterwolf will take over for the month of June.  Thanks, everyone, for playing along. 

I miss the fieldwork portion of my job. I'm lucky to be able to work from home. But for the foreseeable future all field visits have been suspended. I'm really missing all the interesting, natural places that I usually spend this time of year hiking around in. I miss having a group of interns I can teach stuff to. I miss finding that rare flower or bug I haven't seen in years. I even miss getting up in the middle of the night so I can drive three hours with a carful of sleeping interns to be on the north coast when the sun's coming up. 

I'm still outdoors a lot walking the dog, riding my bike, gardening, or just drinking beer on the porch. But it's not the same. And even though I know I'll get back to it sometime in the future, I still get sad when I stop to think about it. 

But, because I want to end on a positive note, my quarantine beard is rocking. 

Thanks for all the questions!

• Like 9

On 5/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, Inarah said:

éMay 26

Name someone in the game industry you would like to meet in person. 

Uhh... That’s not something I considered before.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:05 AM, Inarah said:

May 27

What is something about yourself you think most people don't know?

As a middle school student, my hobby for a time was macramé.  Most people don’t know about that, because for the longest time I forgot about it too.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:53 AM, Inarah said:

May 28

What is the most fun you have had in costume? 

My co-worker’s 4-year old daughter trick-or-treat candy while dressed in a gorilla mask.  I crouched down and held out the candy and made “ook ook” noises. It took her forever to build up enough courage to take the candy from my hand.

On 5/29/2020 at 7:52 AM, Inarah said:

May 29

What is your favorite warm weather/summertime dessert?

Almond gelatin, made with milk.

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

What aspect(s) of social distancing/home quarantine have been the biggest challenge for you to handle?

I will leave you with a couple of days to think about that.  On Monday the amazing Glitterwolf will take over for the month of June.  Thanks, everyone, for playing along.

Not being able to go out most anywhere and get away from our four walls.  My daughter said that our family has weathered the corona virus crisis better than most, since we’re all a bunch of introverts, but I really miss taking the bus/train daily, or being able to walk around downtown wherever I wanted. And most businesses are closed so there’s nowhere to shop.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

Going out to the Big CityTM  with my friend to go see new movies and try out the new restaurants.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

Not seeing my friends. Not getting to hug the one who moved away a couple of weeks ago. My roommates not working for 2 months right after getting fired/being on maternity leave for 2 months prior to that. Trying to order food for the kitchen I work in :angry:

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

Not seeing friends and gaming. Also, just going out to the mall or whatever to just wander/kill time. However, I'm largely a homebody who doesn't do a lot of social activity, so I've been handling it much better than most.

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 30-31

I daresay all of it?  I am very much a social being, hugging friends, shaking hands, kissing cheeks (growing up in Europe will do that!), patting backs...  I miss sitting 5' from my boss, who I really get along with.  I miss wandering over to a pub at lunchtime on Friday sometimes with a bunch of colleagues.  Though when I took the Reaper Emergency paint kits over to my friend's house for his kids, his wife answered the door in tears as my friend had just left to have their dog put down (it was time).  This is a woman I have hugged every time I've seen her in almost 20 years and we both kind of fidgeted while talking through the screen door.  I hooked the bag with the goodies on their mailbox and wandered home, far less cheery than I had been on my way there.  This was easily when I felt the "effects" the most of social distancing. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, TGP said:

The second biggest challenge is I can’t find a mask that fits my big ugly mug. I dig the idea of being masked. I just wish I could find one that doesn’t ride up into my eyes from below, or else it pops off exposing my nose if it stays below my chin.  :mellow:

Have you tried a snood? They're usually used by cyclists and snowboarders, but they work well as masks for the current situation. I have 3 that I use, I just pop them in the washing machine when I get back in.

Something like this, but the light fabric ones are good as well.

1698485526_download(2).jpeg.e000fc2a96fb33b3fbf2d45588ce13da.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kuroneko said:

Have you tried a snood? They're usually used by cyclists and snowboarders, but they work well as masks for the current situation. I have 3 that I use, I just pop them in the washing machine when I get back in.

Something like this, but the light fabric ones are good as well.

1698485526_download(2).jpeg.e000fc2a96fb33b3fbf2d45588ce13da.jpeg

Thanks!  Fashion challenged Griffyns are pig-ignorant about such things as "Snoods"  :huh:  seriously who knew?  Obviously hadn't tried such.

• Like 7

On 5/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, Inarah said:

May 30-31

Not being able to go visit my mom.

• Like 5
  • Sad 5

On 5/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, Inarah said:

May 26

Name someone in the game industry you would like to meet in person. 

I say getting to a reapercon would cover me there.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, Inarah said:

May 27

What is something about yourself you think most people don't know?

I have a cousin that I share reversed first and middle names. I picked this cause it’s something we didn’t figure out till her wedding. We both go by nicknames but one is an atypical one in English (It’s the Polish version) which is why it took us so long to realize it .

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, Inarah said:

May 28

What is the most fun you have had in costume? 

In high school I helped out at the grade school book fair by dressing up as Clifford the Big Red Dog. I had one little guy so awed he spent the night holding on to my paw as we walked all around the gym. I was so hot, but that one little kid made it all worth it.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:52 AM, Inarah said:

May 29

What is your favorite warm weather/summertime dessert?

strawberry short cake, 

watermelon is also good, specially if I’m trying to be healthy 

icecream is a year round thing here but I’ll go with the ginger icecream  at my favorite vacation icecream shop. It’s  candied ginger in sweet cream and so good, they also have a wonder French vanilla raspberry truffle, and my sib would chime in with there apple pie.

May 30-31

watching my dad worry about my grandma, she’s at an assistance living place that locked down early, there all good there (knocks on wood), but a couple of Skype calls a week are not the same. She has a bad habit of not charging her phone and or switching it to vibrate so she can’t hear incoming calls. Dad and my cousin used to be in charge of making sure her phone works, but since there in lockdown it’s a lot harder.

Edit and this makes the first time I’ve answered a full month’s questions not just in my head but typed out. 

Edited by Wyvernfire
  • Like 8

On 5/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Inarah said:

May 30-31

Well, I've finally gotten to the point where I could use a haircut.

Really we've missed the worst of it locally. 

• Like 8

May 30-31

needing to convince certain people that "no we cannot meet in person under the current situation". 

• Like 7

Quarantine that is the biggest challenge?

Working from home means I have less alone time than ever. My daughter always wants to be involved.

I don't fault her, and she is amazing and all, but parenting 24x7 is hard.

It's not like crab fishing or anything. But having all three to five hats on at the same time is unpleasant.

Working while parenting while parenting people at work is not ideal.

But my mini collection has never looked better.

Because I am painting so I don't go crazy.

I am also up to three home improvement projects a week.

That's totally normal for people right?

• Like 9

May 30-31

The dis-calibration of everyone's schedules about when they're lonely and need to text/call/vid chat and when they're busy doing something and unavailable.

• Like 7