Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

What restaurant meal do you miss most during this time of isolation and stay-at-home orders?

We tend to only eat in restaurants while travelling so it hasn't been a huge change for us. I've had to be in the city twice since all this started and having to order take out and then eat it in the van was a pain. Better than the couple on their bikes that were eating sitting on the sidewalk near us though.

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

What restaurant meal do you miss most during this time of isolation and stay-at-home orders?

In normal times, I hardly ever go out to the restaurant, nor do take-out. It's only when I'm out of town that I stop by fast food joints.

So... burgers and fries? Occasionnaly a sub.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

Most of the restaurant food I miss most is really stuff I can't get because I no longer reside in the country wherein I could get it (Red Rooster from Australia and any good Raamen shop in Kyoto).

As for restaurants in my area, probably the unagi-don from the family Japanese restaurant nearby.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

When I moved to Colorado, She Who Dances With Mouselings had a problem: she loves Mexican food, but bein' that I lived in and around San Antonio most of my life, and spent bits of my youth in Mexico, she was terrified that I would find the local Mexican food laughable at best, disgusting and inedible at worst.

For a long time she was scared to death to ask to have Mexican for dinner. Finally, one night, I asked if there were any decent Mexican joints. She suggested one. We went there and had a delightful Mexican dinner that couldn't be beat, and she was greatly relieved that I decided not to stand on the table and loudly mock the waitress, the cook, or the restaurant on the laughability of their ha ha ha Colorado Mexican food.

She finally asked what I thought. I said, "What's not to like?" And she spilled her guts to me about being afraid I wouldn't like the local Mexican food. And after that, we went around trying all her favorite Mexican joints. I tend to favor Real de Minas locally, although Tapatio is good.

She also took me to Casa Bonita, a place made famous on "South Park," for its indoor cliff diving and extremely weird theme park atmosphere... and perhaps the worst Mexican food I have ever had, except for that one place in Nebraska, the one that apparently knew what Mexican food looked like, but didn't have a clue what was IN it, and gave the impression the restaurant had been founded by Martians who needed to make enough money to buy parts for their hyperdrive in order to go home, and built their entire menu off the pictures on the boxes at the grocery store in the ETHNIC FOODS section.

It's worth noting, though, that she took me to the best Mexican joints she knew of before subjecting me to Alien Taco Bell.

Fact is, I'd give a big pretty to be able to eat a sit down meal at Real de Minas and tip the hell out of the waitress. Their food's no different than I ate at the high end joints in Coahuila.

• Like 13

May 3

Of all weird things, I’m missing Famous Dave’s barbecue.  I don’t normally go to their restaurants, but our company occasionally orders take-out from them for luncheons for visiting guests, and that’s just not happening with our state’s stay-at-home order...

• Like 11

While we did take out service from a local favorite Mexican restaurant & it tasted like it should it was missing one thing, the restaurant part. We know the owner & every time we go in & if he's there, he'll see you, ask you how you are doing & will shake your hand & welcome you. I miss that.

I also miss going to a local place called Brewsky's Bar & Grill. I wouldn't say they've got the greatest food, but it's a nice place for my wife & I to go occasionally on Friday nights. I miss that too.

• Like 14

May 3

I almost never eat out, and can honestly say I haven't missed it. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

When I moved to Colorado, She Who Dances With Mouselings had a problem: she loves Mexican food, but bein' that I lived in and around San Antonio most of my life, and spent bits of my youth in Mexico, she was terrified that I would find the local Mexican food laughable at best, disgusting and inedible at worst.

For a long time she was scared to death to ask to have Mexican for dinner. Finally, one night, I asked if there were any decent Mexican joints. She suggested one. We went there and had a delightful Mexican dinner that couldn't be beat, and she was greatly relieved that I decided not to stand on the table and loudly mock the waitress, the cook, or the restaurant on the laughability of their ha ha ha Colorado Mexican food.

She finally asked what I thought. I said, "What's not to like?" And she spilled her guts to me about being afraid I wouldn't like the local Mexican food. And after that, we went around trying all her favorite Mexican joints. I tend to favor Real de Minas locally, although Tapatio is good.

She also took me to Casa Bonita, a place made famous on "South Park," for its indoor cliff diving and extremely weird theme park atmosphere... and perhaps the worst Mexican food I have ever had, except for that one place in Nebraska, the one that apparently knew what Mexican food looked like, but didn't have a clue what was IN it, and gave the impression the restaurant had been founded by Martians who needed to make enough money to buy parts for their hyperdrive in order to go home, and built their entire menu off the pictures on the boxes at the grocery store in the ETHNIC FOODS section.

It's worth noting, though, that she took me to the best Mexican joints she knew of before subjecting me to Alien Taco Bell.

Fact is, I'd give a big pretty to be able to eat a sit down meal at Real de Minas and tip the hell out of the waitress. Their food's no different than I ate at the high end joints in Coahuila.

*whistles innocently*

image.thumb.png.6fef31a473f94a37a105e71e12b94237.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

There's a German style beer hall that opened in my neighborhood late last year. Unfortunately, they decided to focus on keeping the brewery part of the business going and discontinued their food service for the time being. Their schnitzel had become a regular thing over the winter. I'll be quite happy when I can pick that up again. 

• Like 10

On 5/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Have you ever taken a road trip with a pet?

Yes, several moves with cats.  They DID NOT enjoy the experience. They were quite vocal in expressing their displeasure. 

12 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

Yes. All of 'em.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

*whistles innocently*

image.thumb.png.6fef31a473f94a37a105e71e12b94237.png

@buglips*the*goblin  where are you when we need you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

On 5/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Yes. The first year of my relationship with my hubby, we travelled to Wyoming so I could meet his mom and sister. We took his cat with us. Falazure hated it. He didn’t poop or pee the entire trip (made a bee line to the box at my sister in law’s place as soon as he got in) even though we had gotten a leash for him to go outside. 

We made the same journey with him when we moved here last year. He died a couple weeks after we got here. 

13 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

Chinese food. 

Of course, I actually miss IHOP’s breakfast steak tips more, but I haven’t had that since august. 

Stupid no IHOP town.

• Like 7
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I ate dinner with the family at the (Denver?) Casa Bonita sometime around 1975.  I later learned it was (at the time) owned by the same corporate entity the owned the Taco Bueno chain.  I have no idea if this is still true; was ever true; or if that was only a rumor that my ears chanced to hear.

I do not remember the cliff diving.

• Like 8

We rarely go out to eat but we have our favorites!

We call the tiny places to see if they're open for contact-less ordering so we can help support them (which is a huge mental argument there, hoping they're safe and closed, but if they're open because they have to pay rent, we want to help). Over the last several weeks, we've picked up from our favorite Tex-Mex restaurant (we've gone there for our anniversary for years), Chinese BBQ, and Korean fried chicken. There's a little Persian shop we'd like to call next week, his koobideh and buttery rice are incredible.

Our sushi place is much too far away and I really hope they're okay; it was run by the sweetest older couple and they were only open a few hours a week. They're absolutely who I want to visit first for food when this settles down. We're also worried about our favorite Vietnamese place, they're completely closed and I hope it's just for their safety. <3

.... I just realized how many different types of food we eat. We really love food, y'all. Introduce me to more food to try! :lol:

Edited by Morihalda
are, not is
  • Like 12

On 5/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Our cats are all fine travelling in the car. The two brothers are perfectly happy squeezing themselves into the same pet carrier( they've never been apart) and will just sleep until we get to the destination. Diva(our Bengal mix) hates the traveling boxes, so we just put a harness on her and use one of those dog seat belt straps to make sure she is limited to the back seat. Her previous owner was a long distance lorry driver and we think that she travelled with him because she's perfectly fine on the 6 hour drive up to Skye. 

I think it's just a matter of getting them used to it when they're young, and not every car trip being one that goes to the vet. 

I've also moved house with approximately 1200 fish. Okay, 1100 were various types of tetras, but it was an absolute logistical nightmare :zombie: 

21 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

Everything! All the our Chinese and Italian places closed a month before lockdown and I'm not sure how many will reopen :unsure: I especially miss our favourite Japanese places, one of them does all the little plates and as soon as this is over I'm getting their delicious little teriyaki mushroom bao bun burgers and the pumpkin katsu curry. 

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 10