Sign in to follow this  
Inarah

Getting to know You in May

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I ate dinner with the family at the (Denver?) Casa Bonita sometime around 1975.  I later learned it was (at the time) owned by the same corporate entity the owned the Taco Bueno chain.  I have no idea if this is still true; was ever true; or if that was only a rumor that my ears chanced to hear.

I do not remember the cliff diving.

:upside:

I wonder why I don’t remember the cliff diving...

The other bit was true at the time...

”In 1982, the company (including Taco Bueno fast food restaurants) was sold to Unigate (now Uniq plc).”

But no longer, corporate sellouts and spinoffs have separated them. 

• Like 8

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

What restaurant meal do you miss most during this time of isolation and stay-at-home orders?

So many...

The vast majority of Chinese places have closed, the closest pizza place closed, the Vietnamese sandwich shop, the corner taco truck...

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 3

What restaurant meal do you miss most during this time of isolation and stay-at-home orders?

Sushi.  Our favorite sushi restaurant closed when dine-in service became prohibited.  We hope they reopen at the end of this mess but it's been a month and a half now.

We've been doing takeout from some of our favorite local restaurants to give them support in these times.  It's not the same (there's something to be said for casual social interaction) but it's better than nothing.

I've joked about ordering takeout from one of the local Mexican restaurants tomorrow.  (It's the only time we'd be able to get food from them on Cinco de Mayo!)

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

How did you learn to drive?

did the written part of my learner's permit in school during junior year, then mom did the the practical part of it. She just had me drive around a relatively empty part of town until I got used to the car, then moved on to more difficult roads. with the most difficult part being learning to pull out of our driveway, you need to pull out in reverse onto the busiest street in town. then I went to the DMV for the road test, and passed on the first try. Then it was 6 years before I could afford a car.

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

I got my learner's permit and my dad immediately took me to the impound lot at the local State Patrol base (he was working there as an electrician at the time). This particular impound lot was where they kept the vehicles that had been involved in fatalities where the cause of the accident was still being investigated in one way or another. Then he walked me around saying stuff like "See those teeth embedded in the dashboard, that was a DUI." "That car with the brains splattered all over the windshield thought they could beat a train across the tracks." "That car with the top cut off was full of kids partying, one of them lived." This continued until I was properly horrified, then he handed me the keys to his truck and told me I'd be driving him everywhere from then on. He did the same thing to my sister. It worked, I am one of the most cautious drivers you will ever meet, and so is my sister. Every year I have at least one intern comment on my overly cautious driving and I tell them this story. It's my hope that the idea of having your insides covering the interior of a car is enough to get some of those young people to drive a little more safely themselves.

• Like 12

On 5/3/2020 at 9:45 AM, Inarah said:

May 3

Sushi/sashimi.  I just can't make it at home in the same variety and quality.

27 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

I remember lots of yelling, lots and lots of yelling by my father.  I grew up in the country so I started driving tractors at about 10.  By 15 I knew the basics, but running the clutch to shift while moving was new and the speed of a car were daunting.

I'm in the process of teaching my youngest to drive now.  I must say that Potty Training and Driving Training have been the two worst parts of parenthood.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4

On 5/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Inarah said:

May 2: 

Have you ever taken a road trip with a pet?

No, I have not.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:45 AM, Inarah said:

May 3

I miss going out for beers and karaoke with my friends.

37 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

After my dad and uncle taught me to drive stick, I took Driver's Ed classes in summer school to skip the DMV road test.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Corsair said:
11 hours ago, TGP said:

@buglips*the*goblin  where are you when we need you?

@buglips*the*goblin and Taco Bell? This is the scariest thing I have heard in years...

He's a fan!  I dunno what else to tell ya...

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

Driver Ed in high school.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Inarah said:

May 4

On my Uncle's farm, an ancient Ford pickup with "Three on the Tree".

Edited by Corsair
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 4

I started when I was still in diapers. Ok technically the vehicle was turned off and in park but mom's got the photo. I lived on a farm most of my life so was sitting on my parents lap steering from a young age and driving as soon as my feet touched the pedals. By the time I was twelve I was driving tractors and pickups alone. By the time I was 16 I could run everything on the place.

Worry a bit about my kids because the wife wouldn't let me raise them the same way. 16 year old has his license and can run the simpler equipment but is nowhere near as capable as I was. If I get hurt our lives may depend on him as he's the only one that knows anything about running the farm. 13 year old has been almost entirely cut off from farm life since we moved to town. He got babysitting duty instead of farm work. Still got time to fix that.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 4

I never did.

I tried, took quite a few lessons, but in the end I accepted it would be better for everyone if I never got behind a wheel again.

• Like 9
  • Confused 1