Inarah

Getting to know You in May

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 4

How did you learn to drive?

I didn’t get my license until I was 27. I had no need for one until then. My oldest brother tried to teach me to drive in my early 20s, but he was... not a patient teacher. 

When I did get my license my dad taught me. He’d pick me up from work in the mornings, we’d go to a large empty parking lot, and I’d drive around there for a bit. Eventually I graduated to driving myself home. 

I only crashed his car once, but when I did I totaled it :wacko: :rolleyes: :lol:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

May 4

In a Ford LTD. And in some kind of Pontiac product. With more practice in the LTD on a learner's permit. Some of that practice included a Run down the switchback road from the top of Pike's Peak in Colorado.

Our car passed at the 7000 foot elevation brake temperature check station.  #Acheivment_Unlocked  #before-anybody-ever-heard-of-unlocked-achievements

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 4

Late 80s, 18 years old. Saved my money for driver's ed. Practiced with dad in parking lots or quiet roads. Scratched the paint in the driveway after dad omitted a bit of information about the steering wheel straightening itself after a turn... until a point. Several months later, I got my license.

Car we had back then was a 1984 Renault Alliance, stick shift. Stalled that one countless times. It had very comfortable seats. Every other car the family had after that was automatic (back then manual transmissions were noticeably cheaper and reliable).

• Like 9

May 4

I'm a farmboy, I've been driving since I was a little kid. Didn't get my license until a couple weeks before my 21st birthday because it wasn't really necessary until then.

• Like 7

May 4

I was into watching racing and the like from an early age. One of my first posters ever was a Tyrell P34.

We moved to a farm when I was 8, so was driving tractors from not much after that.

Where I lived you had to drive half an hour to do anything. So. I turned 16 on a Thursday. Had to wait until Monday to write my beginners.  I think I had one half hour lesson with dad, then just driving with a parent or sister.  2 months after getting my beginners I did my driving test (that was the minimum time you had to wait).  The next fall I finally took drivers ed, just to (umm, add, remove, something with points for your license....it changed so many times I can't remember).  I used to pick up a car full to go to drivers ed.

• Like 9

May 4

Driver's Ed in High School. 

I still haven't figured out why someone who retired from teaching due to heart problems would come back & teach a bunch of teenage kids how to drive. I'm sure there were a few in my class that made him rethink that decision, but I understand he managed to last a few years in the position.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 4

In order:

From my best friend in his manual POS car at 16

From my dad in his boat of a Buick at 18

From driver's education at 19

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 4

My parents taught me to drive.  My most vivid memory of the event is driving down the freeway with my mother in the passenger seat, gripping her armrests in terror and repeatedly shouting: “Slow down! Slow down! Slow down!”

What the hell, Mom?  I’m driving the speed limit!  Oh, we’re coming up on a slow-moving motorcycle...

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Why do I only see typos after I post?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

I learned to drive by Driver's Education Class that was mandatory to take.  Passed my exam first time.

• Like 9

May 4

Never took driver's ed, was 22 when I got my license. Dad predominantly taught me in empty parking lots (anytime I went into a parking spot he said "Crrrrunch, just hit a car."), was my older brother who took me out on the highway and gave me the pointers and confidence to actually drive smoothly. Dad taught me to parallel park by not using the nice-sized orange cones like they use in the test, nay, but with 2-liter bottles of orange soda (which you couldn't see worth crap in mirrors as they were too short). Crushed quite a few bottles of soda...

Failed the test the first time due to parallel parking (was made to take the test in a larger car than I had learned in), we retrained by making the entire dimensions of the test a foot smaller each way. Passed it the second time, and nailed the driving portion. Parallel parked for about five years after that, been almost a decade since having to use it.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

Bold of you to assume I know how ::P:

I figured there would be a few of you who don't drive. :) 

• Like 6

May 4

Dad taught me. There was a state required course I had to take, but it was book centric. Behind the wheel was all Dad. He had me put the car in a ditch to learn how to get it, flattened a tire so I learned how to change it and practiced spin outs on icy or wet deserted roads. He also encouraged me to drive in the dark without headlights on those deserted roads, not sure what that lesson was supposed to be...

I had no part of teaching my two boys to drive and in fact still reluctantly ride in the vehicle if they are driving. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Inarah said:

May 4

My parents gave me no choice but to learn to drive once I turned 14, due to two main reasons: if I wanted to get places, they wanted me to be able to drive there, and probably the real reason - they wanted a third driver for our, at the time, regular trips to Vancouver Island. 

Right off the bat dad was all "oh no, we aren't teaching you" and handed me off to AMA...  Apparently he didn't want to rub his bad driving techniques off on me (he isn't that bad, no idea what mom was going on about)... 

I kept that learners for several years, because at the time I was able to get anywhere I wanted either on foot by bus, or by being an absolute lunatic on a bicycle... If we go by how mom described my bike riding anyways.  Driver's license was finally acquired less then ten days before GDL requirements came out in Alberta. 

The much more interesting story comes a few years later, when people were trying to teach me to drive stick.  After a little while, the first five (or was it six) would just throw their arms up in the air and say I couldn't be taught.  The last guy saw that I would thump/thunk stall the engine immediately after going into gear, asked how long I'd been driving, asked me to try again, then gave some solid advice:

The other techs are idiots, just take your foot off the brake as you lift off the clutch, and oh hey, it magically didn't stall that time! 

Okay, I stalled four feet later because it was a Ford 7.3L diesel and I didn't give it enough gas, but then he gave me tips on how to manage three pedals at once with two feet, and... Yeah, a little while later I had my project Corolla, and got into winter autocross. Boy do I miss that little Corolla. 

But yeah, he was the third tech at that dealership service job I was in, and two others had said I was hopeless... Without paying attention to the fact that automatics have a brake interlock, which means you can't shift out of park without pressing the brake pedal, and that such behavior was instinctive to me by that point...  For two. Whole. Weeks. He ragged on those two techs about it, since they didn't even bother to think about that one little trained habit... 

To this day, I prefer stick shift, but mainly due to the control (I live in an area where winter conditions very much so do occur for upwards of six months of the year), and well, I was into autocross, so there's a natural preference right there for such... 

• Like 9