Sign in to follow this  
ferret

Reaper's Substitution Policy

I recently purchased a Miniature Monday kit and one of the figures was different than what was shown in the box.  When I contacted help at Reaper, they responded that they had substituted a figure because they were out of stock of the figure shown on the box.  

While I can understand the need to substitute a figure for the one that was out of stock, I am a bit disappointed by lack of notice of possible substitution and that Reaper substituted a figure with retail price slightly less than the price of the figure it replaced. 

I am unable to find Reaper's substitution policy on the web site.  Anyone know what it is?  Anyone else experienced getting a substitute with a lower price that the figure it replaces?  

• Like 1

I have absolutely NEVER heard that this has happened before.    

Honestly, I expect that some time in the future, when that mini is back in stock, you will get a nice little package, possibly with some 'samples' thrown in, also. 

• Like 1

Some of their sets say that figures may be substituted.  I don't know if there is a formal policy, you could check the FAQ or ask at [email protected] .  Generally questions about your order should go to Reaper rather than the forum, because they don't read their own forum. 

Myself, I wouldn't be concerned over a dollar or two in price difference. And I don't expect anyone at Reaper is aware you have one of the substituted pieces or is planning to send you anything in a few weeks. If it's an issue for you, contact customer service. 

• Like 3

@ferret That's not something I've seen people talking about on these forums, so I doubt it happens very often.

Would you say the substitution was as similar to the mini in question as possible?  Since the Miniature Monday kits are for painting along with Josh in his videos, you wouldn't want it to be very different.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Inarah said:

Some of their sets say that figures may be substituted.  I don't know if there is a formal policy, you could check the FAQ or ask at [email protected] .  Generally questions about your order should go to Reaper rather than the forum, because they don't read their own forum. 

Myself, I wouldn't be concerned over a dollar or two in price difference. And I don't expect anyone at Reaper is aware you have one of the substituted pieces or is planning to send you anything in a few weeks. If it's an issue for you, contact customer service. 

Actually, I emailed [email protected] immediately after receiving the kit.  They responded with a terse email saying they substituted the figure because the correct figure was out of stock and "sorry for the inconvenience".  

Neither the box nor the online description of the kit say figures may be substituted.  Nothing in the FAQ about substitutions either.

I posted on the forum because I wanted to know if others had problems with substitutions before I consider ordering some of the other kits.  Reaper already made it clear they won't do anything about the problem and I am hesitant to order a kit without some confidence that the contents will likely be as described rather than a cheaper substitute.

7 hours ago, Serenity said:

@ferret That's not something I've seen people talking about on these forums, so I doubt it happens very often.

Would you say the substitution was as similar to the mini in question as possible?  Since the Miniature Monday kits are for painting along with Josh in his videos, you wouldn't want it to be very different.

No, the substitute was not similar.  Reaper substituted one mummy from the three piece group (77144)  for Oswald (77141).  So the substitute is not very useful for the paint along and none of the paints in the kit seem suitable for a mummy.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, ferret said:

Actually, I emailed [email protected] immediately after receiving the kit.  They responded with a terse email saying they substituted the figure because the correct figure was out of stock and "sorry for the inconvenience".  

Neither the box nor the online description of the kit say figures may be substituted.  Nothing in the FAQ about substitutions either.

I posted on the forum because I wanted to know if others had problems with substitutions before I consider ordering some of the other kits.  Reaper already made it clear they won't do anything about the problem and I am hesitant to order a kit without some confidence that the contents will likely be as described rather than a cheaper substitute.

No, the substitute was not similar.  Reaper substituted one mummy from the three piece group (77144)  for Oswald (77141).  So the substitute is not very useful for th the paint along.

Uh... wow. That is not our usual experience with customer service.

@Reaper_Jon ? You know anything about this?

• Like 1

I believe that Katie, who handles our Customer Service emails, might have just been covering the response in the same way that we cover our Learn to Paint Kits, where we *do* substitute figures when we run out of stock on them. On the LTPK sets, we have a list of figures that we use as substitutions that we've determined are pretty close to the intended figure.

BTW, Katie has been out of the office since March handling emails at home as we're still distancing. So she can't communicate as effectively with our other employees as she could when in-house.

On the Miniature Monday kits, we've not developed a substitution list yet *except* for the aforementioned Oswald miniature; we're currently out of stock on the plastic version of that mini, so we've been substituting the metal version instead. So far, I don't think we've had any issues with folks getting an "upgraded" metal version of the plastic mini.

But the mummy "substitution" sounds more like a packaging mistake rather than a substitution. I'll talk to our kitting department tomorrow about this; @ferret please contact me directly at [email protected] and I'll get you fixed up with the correct mini. It will be an Oswald mini, but it will be a metal one, not the Bones one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Not the right reaction, I know, but reading this sent me scampering to the store to get the January Monday while it was back in stock.

• Like 1