1 hour ago, ced1106 said:

Dang -- under $300 is less than I spent during a Bones KS.

OTOH, I don't understand half of what you guys are talking about, so I'll stick to the old fashioned way of getting my mini's --  opening a box. :upside:

Psst! This comes in a box, too! ::D:

It's the way prints can survive interruptions that sells me.

Our friend has had a lot of prints killed by a power flicker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed the 265 price but did get the 319, so I will be happy to see it arrive in September/October. I know they said August and I hope they are right, but I am a pessimist. And yeah, it is a nice easy afternoon project on an Ender3 assembly unless you are a squirrel on meth.

• Like 1

I am hoping for August, but not expecting it - August is our real anniversary. :bday: The wedding just formalized things. ::):

I was holding off for the next generation, and here it is.

By the way - Megan was laughing because of the, uhm, rather busty young woman Creality chose for showing their demonstration.

I pledged before watching any of the videos - this is just moving our eventual purchase forwards by a few months - it would likely have been Christmas, anyway.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Interuption re-starts are a standard thing on Ender 3 models (I'm sure the entire Ender line up it is).

• Like 1
  • Members

So I asked Naomi about the print speed and she said it's similar to the Ender 3.. so I'm still not sure if I want to be at that slower speed, or still think about the PRUSA which is faster..

Also another article https://www.overclock3d.net/news/misc_hardware/creality_s_cr-6_se_3d_printer_shatters_its_kickstarter_target_within_hours_of_starting/1 says its a 32 bit board

fwiw, If you backed the Tiny Furniture campaign or any .stl files for a FDM printer:

Zach Haugen - Merchant Guild of Valoria1 day ago

Won't work with the STLs from this KS. The models weren't designed for FDM printers, some of the parts are too narrow and get deleted, causing issues.

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Stretch goal of 1000% makes it a 32 bit board.

I'm in for now. I got the 319 price. I almost totally forgot about the start date. 

Which it looks like they'll reach soon. I'm still waffling about getting it but decided to pledge before the $319 level fills up. I don't tend to back out of things once I commit but this still gives me a month to think. 

• Like 2

I'm wondering what the 32 bit board will do to delivery time. I got the impression that a lot of the production was already underway or done. If the board upgrade was as unplanned as it seemed I'd imagine that will push delivery back for the people who choose the option.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, haldir said:

Realistically, what would the advantages of a 32-bit board be over an 8-bit board?

19 hours ago, ced1106 said:

fwiw, If you backed the Tiny Furniture campaign or any .stl files for a FDM printer:

I'm a little confused here.  The feedback you provided said the STL files from that KS weren't intended for an FDM printer.  Are you saying normal STL files for FDM printers wouldn't work with the CR-6?

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:
22 hours ago, haldir said:

Realistically, what would the advantages of a 32-bit board be over an 8-bit board?

Wondering about this myself.

2 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

could be drastic, could be nothing.  It all depends on the actual chips used and board design and then what devices they're controlling. 

A 32 bit address/data bus could, in theory, give more precise control of a stepper motor.  An 8 bit address/data bus has 256 combinations - if your stepper motors and stepper control circuitry are capable of more discrete steps than that, a 32 bit bus would be able to take advantage of them.  But it's unlikely that the stepper motors and controllers being used in a consumer level product are capable of the over 4 million steps a 32 bit bus can do - 16 bit would probably be sufficient. 

Except, for the most part, the world of electronics and computers has moved to 32 bit and 64 bit, and 32 bit chips are more widely available than 16 bit, so there is likely no advantage to using 16 bit when 32 bit costs the same (or less) and will be more "future proof."

EDIT: Oh, faster memory access is another one, though in terms of an FDM 3d printer, I don't think that's a significant advantage, unless it's utilized to make sensor use more efficient and better error detection/recovery features. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 3

Per the update first mentioning the upgrade:

The 8 bits motherboard affects the printing speed of the machine. Our printing speed can reach 80-100mm/s, and the printing quality is also very excellent, and the CR-6 SE also has the high performance, so the 8 bits motherboard of CR-6 SE is sufficient to finish the machine operation. In addition, we use Trinamic chip which focus on motor and motion control provides access to deep application knowledge. Trinamic’s solutions minimize current fluctuation, resulting in a cleaner and smoother sine wave with mute 3D printing motor and high printing quality. 

From their FAQ:

The Advantages of 32-bit Motherboard for 3D Printers:

1. Speed – 32-bit motherboard can process more date than the 8-bit motherboard during the same time period. However, the differences on 3D printer is merely not big, because the speed and acceleration are static, and dynamic acceleration is not used, so there is no significant difference between 8-bit and 32-bit processors

2. Print Quality – The 8-bit motherboard and the 32-bit motherboard doesn’t affect too much on the print resolution. Normally, the slicing software will compensate for slow and complex calculations by reducing resolution, so as not to introduce overextrusion and zits.

3. Avoiding firmware problems – Many software-based hacks have been created to compensate for the lack of hardware floating point in 8 bit processors. Firmware updates can completely bog down an 8 bit processor if they have not been tested under a variety of conditions.

4. Upgradability: On the currently used 8-bit controllers, upgradability is limited, mainly limited to data processing capabilities, but when using 32-bit processors, relative upgradability is better.

Edited by TripleH
  • Like 3
On 5/7/2020 at 1:43 AM, PaganMegan said:

My first FDM printer came with a built-in battery-pack to keep it alive during power flickers, instead of the 'restart hack' the Enders use(they periodically write to the sliced file to mark progress. )

The battery was removed during the rebuild, but...  I have a 1000VA UPS. 

One reason to go to 32bit boards is that they can handle microstepping better. 

A common NEMA17 stepper motor used in 3D printers have 200 or 400 distinct steps each revolution. That gives an 'okayish' resolution, but the movement will be jerky and not nice. By partially energising two coils you get it to hold position between the steps. This is called microstepping. 2x microstepping means a system is capable of 'half steps'. 4x mean every full step is divided into 4 microsteps and so on. 

Most FDM printers run at 8x or if you're lucky, 16x. But 16x takes a lot of processing power that 8bit boards doesn't have, so errors can creep in, and it may actually put a limit to how fast it can print. 

The higher number of micosteps you get the smoother and more silent the printer moves.

With 32bit boards, 128x is easily possible as long as you have good motor drivers. 

Many 32bit boards also include network and a web interface. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2