Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Eldritch Foundry?

Hero Forge has been around for a while, but does anyone have any experience with Eldritch Foundry? I have played around with the builder. They do not have as many options as Hero Forge but I do like the look of some of the things better, especially the Rapier. 

Has anyone used them? $35 is on the high side for what is offered, but i still kind of want to order one. This is the mini i designed for my character in Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder adventuer path. 

Avi, a female halfling Daring Champion Cavalier.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 4

I backed em on Kickstarter but haven't cashed in my two minis on credit, because their options right now are garbage.

So many parts bleed into each other, the poses look more awkward than they intend in a lot of cases, their choices of starting helmets don't really... GO with the body options available (Murmillo and Hoplite helmets when all the armors are late medieval??)....

Everybody who speaks highly of them are either people who get sample miniatures where all the flaws have been fixed in post, or people who got 100% custom-made miniatures (like Critical Role for that Darrington Brigade one-shot).

There've also been reports of the system itself glitching out and people not getting the mini they wanted to begin with.

I do agree the rapier looks less comically oversized than Heroforge's but that's not worth all the flaws associated with it otherwise.

• Like 4

Ah, ok. I guess I’ll wait then. Since we are playing via discord I don’t really have a pressing need right now anyway. And when we were playing in person I was using a converted Reaper Bones Cassie, 

• Like 3

At least you seem to have gotten a mini that seems satisfactory, I look at the options and look at the kind of characters I'd want to make and just sigh in frustration.

The closest thing to something purchaseable I got was this cthulhu-worshipping Gladiator but like....

I could just buy a cheap gladiator mini off somewhere and paint a squidhead on his shield and get the same effect.

image.thumb.png.02261dd80fd0594f2b9b031f3f2cf277.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I backed and ordered 2 of my 4 minis to test with.  The packaging is solid - i'm very pleased with that.  they come in nice tins with foam padding.  the material is translucent and a little rough in texture.  compared to both LQ and HQ plastics from heroforge, it's as smooth if not smoother than the HQ plastic in my experience.  the models take reaper paint without needing any primer, better than bones white does.  the material seems more durable that the hq plastic that heroforge is using.

i'll pile on with the options being a little lacking for now.

Edited by mikem91
  • Like 2

Two Kickstarter credits and now a coupon for a free mini... and still nothing I really find worth spending them on. :lol:

At least they're promising some big upgrades coming in a month or so...

It looks okay, but for its price I still feel like Hero Forge is the obvious choice here.

I do think Hero Forge looks a little cartoony at times- some of these bits look a little better (especially weapons and armor, though obviously there are much less options).

The layout is kinda strange, too.  I get how stuff like "hobbit" is trademarked by Tolkein, and "Mindflayer" is a WOTC term.

But "Human", even?  Why is everything named so bizarrely?  It adds an unnecessary hurdle when picking race.

1 hour ago, cawatrooper said:

But "Human", even?  Why is everything named so bizarrely?  It adds an unnecessary hurdle when picking race.

Yeah Eldritch Foundry seems to think people find their "lore" important so everything, so everything has its own odd name even if it's not over-stepping WOTC or Tolkien trademarks... except orcs and goblins for some reason...

EDIT:
I mean they have articles about the lore of their leather and plate armors.....

https://newsletter-pdfs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/leatherArmor.pdf

https://newsletter-pdfs.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/plateArmor.pdf

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 1