Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

HEL: The Last Saga 5/12, 3pm EST

From the previews it looks like it's going to be very similar to Nova Aetas.

The game is going to be coming to Kickstarter May 12th and will feature a two-to-four (although solo is also an option) board game adventure which will see them mixing together dungeon crawling mechanics and resource management as you try and survive on your ill-fated quest.

The main game of HEL: The Last Saga will take place across thirteen "Songs" which are broken down into three or four scenarios each. In total, they reckon that this game will take around eighty hours for you to complete.

Failure and success are integral to the campaign you'll play. If you fail then the game will remember that and change future sessions to reflect what has happened in the story. This means there are legacy elements to the game but you DO NOT destroy any of the in-game material. So, once you're done with your adventure you can go back and try again or perhaps see how others fare as they head off on their Last Saga.

As well as featuring the dungeon crawling elements, the game also features exploration, adventure, resource gathering and more. The scenarios will all feel very different reportedly meaning that you'll not find yourself doing the same thing over and over again. You'll face terrible foes like The Treetop Ones and much more in the darkness.

As well as having to deal with external threats, the game will also feature elements of survival as you try and stay alive in this terrible land. You'll be able to draw on faith in order to try and survive but also being practical and finding supplies does a lot to keep up morale.

Horror is another element of the game that I am very much looking forward to exploring. It will be interesting to see how they are able to convey this using the game rules and what stories they find themselves able to tell through the 900 paragraphs of dialogue they have already planned for the game.

Mythic seems to already have 4 outstanding KS's right now, 5 if you count Reich busters still being delivered...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

Mythic seems to already have 4 outstanding KS's right now, 5 if you count Reich busters still being delivered...

:wacko: yeah no

The project is live. Bizarrely they're only running it as a 2 week project to pressure people into backing quickly. The entire game is a kickstarter exclusive but....

As KSE, or Kickstarter Exclusives, are marked the products that will not be available to retail. Mythic Games retains the right to continue to sell those in the Pledge Manager, the Mythic Games website, as well as conventions.

Meaning it's not really that exclusive then if they have some left over or fancy selling some more later on.

I like their production values very much, but this is expensive: 129 us plus 37 us for Canadian shipping.  This is about 235 Canadian for the base pledge.   They are making it too easy to pass on this.  I wish them the best since they have always been a fun company to back, but no.

I'm watching for now but I've come across reports of them having a lot of outstanding undelivered projects across 3-4 different websites and lots of typos and bad rules that don't get fixed or updated in their delivered games. I like the figures but I'm going to take a while to make up my mind.

Reichbusters: Delivering

Super Fantasy Brawl: Still in development

Joan of Arc 1.5:  Still in development

Enchanters East Quest: Still in Development

Steamwatchers: Still in development

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SamuraiJack said:

Reichbusters: Delivering

Super Fantasy Brawl: Still in development

Joan of Arc 1.5:  Still in development

Enchanters East Quest: Still in Development

Steamwatchers: Still in development

::o:

I was literally going to back this project until I saw this!! Thank you for saving me some serious stress. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Adrift said:

::o:

I was literally going to back this project until I saw this!! Thank you for saving me some serious stress. 

Oh I backed it for $1 to get the project updates and see if it goes as badly as the Confrontation project did. If it looks like they've cleaned up their act by the time the pledge manager goes live I might change my mind but we'll have to wait an see. However, to quote another source...

On their own they've delivered 2 games (3 if you count Mythic Battles Pantheon with Monolith), Joan of Arc and Reichbusters. All 3 had an incredible amount of errors and issues with their printed material. Not just a little, but a LOT with incorrect graphics, mixed French in English material, wrong rules, incorrect components, etc. Monolith fixed most of the issues with MBP but that required them to reprint almost all of the hero boards and revamp the whole rulebook. The fact that this has been a consistent issue makes me concerned about Hel's heavy amount of printed material. As for outstanding KS's, they still need to delivery Solomon Kane, Super Fantasy Brawl, Joan of Arc 1.5, Enchanters, and Steamwatchers. That's 2/7 delivered. There have been a ton of issues with Reichbusters print material and not much effort from MG to help with errata. When pressed on this Leo states that they are already overworked between all of their games still in development and then trying to launch another Kickstarter. Personally, if they can already not handle the games they are developing now why would I want to help them add another onto the pile? Hel was originally going to a KS for late 2020, but they moved it up since Steamwatchers underperformed. This has me even more concerned about their financial stability. Rushing more KS's in hopes of some cash flow isn't something I plan on ever supporting, that's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I like Mythic games and have backed more than half of their Kickstarters, but they need a wake up call if they think they can just pump out more KS campaigns than CMON with so few deliveries. Hel will be their 3rd KS so far in 2020. That's 3 campaigns in barely 5 months.

I've seen similar messages on 4 different websites now (including this one) so I'm reluctant to part with more than a simple token pledge right now.

Edited by Balgin Stondraeg
  • Like 4

Agreed.  I was comfortable going in for just the Dragon expansion on JOA 1.5, but beyond that.. no thanks

• Like 2

I'm waiting on Super Fantasy Brawl and JoA 1.5, but that will be it for me from Mythic.  I'm out for anything else unless they clean up their act a lot.

• Like 1

Yeah, with that many still in development, and barely any fulfilled that's an insanely huge red flag to me...