Sign in to follow this  
XxZambiexX

Matte varnish bad for metallic highlights

So I'm still pretty new to painting minis, I just spent about 5 evenings painting a trebuchet. It had metal fixings all around hit, hit it with a black wash, and then used a lighter metallic to give it some edge highlights and highlights on the knots things like that. It looked AWESOME. Pretty proud of it. Called it good and then finished it with army painter anti shine matte varnish aerosol, and it made all of those beautiful highlights stick out like a sore thumb and look terrible. So should it highlight metallic after the varnish? Won't they rub off on the game table? 

• Like 3

Try applying a coat of gloss sealer over the metallics.  If you don't have one, you can buy one from Reaper (09298 Gloss Sealer).

Part of what makes metallic paint look like metal is the shininess.  However, matte sealers take away that shininess and makes the metallic paint look, well, flat.  Gloss sealer is shiny and a coat over the metallic paint should restore the depth lost by the matte sealer.

• Like 5

A 'satin' varnish wil also work in most cases.    

It's just a question of where you want none of the shiney, the shiney, or ALL of the shiney.

• Like 2

Any sealer, even gloss, will change how your metallics look (since gloss creates its own shiny spots, which may or may not line up with the painted metallic highlights).

However, since you said this will be a gaming piece, I would recommend using gloss sealer as the best option. If the metal bits are still too shiny relative to the rest of the trebuchet for your liking, I'd recommend going back over the gloss sealer with a thinned satin (not matte) sealer to knock down the shine just a touch. Reaper's Brush-on Sealer is a satin sealer and is a nice balance between matte and gloss, in my experience.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3