Sign in to follow this  
Rigel

Circus: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...

Well I don't know why I came here tonight, I got the feeling that something ain't right....

Terrific group.  Astounding! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Easily the best collection of circus minis I've seen. Love all of them, but that first clown is the stuff of nightmares. Very nicely done! 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the kind words, all! They're a fun bunch. 

On 5/9/2020 at 10:06 AM, Inarah said:

Well I don't know why I came here tonight, I got the feeling that something ain't right....

Terrific group.  Astounding! 

Thank you! And good call on the quote; there's definitely some weirdness going down at the circus and you don't want to be stuck in the middle of it. 

On 5/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, Iridil said:

Outstandingly colorful and slightly wicked - love the background, perfect cotton candy!

Exactly what I was going for! and thanks; the cotton candy is Q-tip cotton glued onto toothpick points, with a light drybrushing of...I think AP Pixie Pink and Toxic Mist? I also have some paper circus tents but they make terrible backgrounds for photography. 

22 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Easily the best collection of circus minis I've seen. Love all of them, but that first clown is the stuff of nightmares. Very nicely done! 

High praise, thank you! Bonzo is straight out of Derry, Maine. A tremendously fun sculpt. 
Besides the clowns mentioned earlier, the circus includes Reaper's Ringmaster; Herq, Strongman; Merlock the Magnificent; Yvette, Magician's Assistant; FireFox, Superhero; Lady Tiger, Supervillain; Doctor VooDoo, Supervillain; Jack the Ripper; and Devil Girl, Supervillain. 
The bear, panther, and fortune-teller lady are Nolzur's; the turbaned mentalist is from Black Cat; and the little barker is a Stonehaven Gnome Pugilist. 

• Like 2

got pics of the voodoo guy and the female to his right? I would like to see shots of them and the strongman and the guy behind him. Is that a separate link? Love this group either way.

edit: ok found them by searching for Circus, you posted them some time ago. Thanks and great job

Edited by Boris Khan
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rigel
      A delightful sculpt, this Devil Girl, Supervillain (50196). She works as a super, a pulp villain, a Weird West devil, a temptress, and in this case, as a pyrotechnician and performer! Any circus is better off for a fire-eater and stuntperson, especially with flame-colored boots and a gold-sequined bustier. I decided to go with a tan coat for the Hellboy resonance, and tried to make it look good and scorched around the edges. Also tried to make that flame in her hand shed some yellow light on that side. 

The cat knocked over a bottle of black paint onto the flocked paper I'm using for circus turf, and this worked out very nicely after cleanup! Good job, cat, despite your best efforts. 

• By Rigel
      Berton & Bradbury bills itself as a MAGIC circus, so let's see a couple of fortune-tellers and mystics! 

The lady--Mme Zaragossa, the Sybil of Syracuse--is from the Nolzur's pack with the barmaid. The headscarf and dress looked vaguely Roma, so I decided to take that and run with it. And a pack of Deep Cuts wizard accessories I had gotten for the books and bottles included a crystal ball, so this was an easy choice! She refuses to clarify if the Syracuse she hails from is Greece or New York. Can she actually predict the future? For player characters, absolutely.

The gentleman--Dr. Desmond Mesmer, Mentalist Extraordinaire--is from Black Cat's Civillians and Townsfolk line. He has a great worried expression. Maybe he's picking up on a hostile, and equally powered, intellect? The hypno-eidetic phantasms of his Zoeotropic Chresmodeon won't fool anyone with ACTUAL knowledge of the future! Or perhaps that oddly enthusiastic volunteer placed something from Mesmer's  deeply-buried past in the lead-lined Box of Secrecy. 

• By Rigel
      "AND HIGH UPON THE WIRE ABOVE YOU, ladiesangennlemen, prepared to make a leap of certain doom to all but the most skilled acrobats and trapeze artists, Ailura the Fearless Cat-Woman! BORN and subsequently ORPHANED on an ill-fated expedition up the turbid Amazon, then RAISED by JAGUARS, YES-ladiesangennlemen-you-heard-me-correctly-there-I-DID-say JAG-U-ARS, she learned to leap from branch to vine before she could WALK! Discovered and rescued by a team of scientists, several of whom PERISHED IN THE ATTEMPT, she has the instincts and body of a FERAL CAT of the DEEPEST JUNGLE! No man or woman born and raised in our civilization would be capable of such DIZZYING and VERTIGINOUS AERIAL DISPLAYS, such PRECIPITOUS PLUNGES!"

(In reality, "Ailura" was born in a small town in Nebraska and raised by reasonably competent human parents. A remarkable flair for gymnastics coupled with a total lack of opportunity and scope for those talents meant it was this or the burlesque stage. And in the circus you get to travel the country, get a lot more air-time, and you have the World's Strongest Man to back you up if a drunken patron starts getting too close.)

My god, what a dynamic sculpt! Such a forward sprint, such kinetic drive! I think only Zenith (50080, Not!Captain America) comes close to it. I need to get another copy and put tiger stripes on her. 

• By Rigel
      "STEP right up, ladiesangennlemen, to BEHOLD Herq the Turk, the modern world's greatest student of physical culture! From the Bosporus, standing six foot six in his socks and weighing TWO hundredan'sixty-three pounds NONE of it fat, a Hercules or Gargantua for the twentieth century, with a neck thicker than a normal man's waist and a chest LIKE A BRICK OVEN! He's got an arm like a leg, and a punch that could SINK A BATTLESHIP!  Watch him bend IRON BARS as though they were WAX! Watch him juggle kettlebells no other man could LIFT! His very MUSCLES have muscles!"

50273 is a whimsical sculpt, bald as an egg and with mustachios that would make Poirot weep with envy. Looks like Stieg Brinegrog's (03627) brother who's taken care of his waistline. I did the weights up in ArmyPainter Rough Iron mixed with a touch of black, and decided on slimming vertical stripes on the shorts and horizontal stripes on the tank top, so as to deceive the eye into seeing him as even bulkier. 

Of course, on a canvas like this, you gotta add some shoulder, back, and chest hair. The sight of him shirtless is "STRONGLY contraindicated for children, ladies prone to the vapors, or gentlemen of nervous disposition, and attendants ARE on hand to remove those audience members who faint at the sight of SO MUCH MAN!!"

• By Rigel
      The knife-throwing is a staple of traveling circuses, and hoo boy if Reaper's Jack the Ripper (50012) isn't the best carnival blade-hucker I've encountered. Look at that spindly frame, that ludicrous top-hat! Look at that gaunt smile--the smile of JOB SATISFACTION. He is here to put knives EXACTLY where he wants them to go, while keeping the audience guessing at just how sane and in-control he is. Our boy here would definitely be played by Doug Jones in the live-action remake. 

And any knife-throwing act is improved by a good-looking assistant to imperil! Yvette, Magician's Assistant (50125) fits the bill splendidly. 
      I used pencil for the fishnet stockings. She's a good Zatanna-esque figure and radiates showmanship.

The targets are wooden discs I slapped paint on and stabbed with a knife to make them look used. One of them has some painted-over bloodstains. Mister Stabbs is a professional, so don't think it was an accident.  

• Who's Online   24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)