Sign in to follow this  
Samedi

Spray painting in an apartment

Dear forum,

While doing research for my little hermit project (found here) I have been watching a lot of painting tutorials on youtube lately. I came across many techniques using rattle cans or even an airbrush and I would very much like to try some of those (like zenithal lighting or spraying on base coats and varnishes). Getting an airbrush would also be nice...

Here is the problem though: I live in a rented apartment with no dedicated hobby room or even hobby table. There is no garden for me to use and the balcony just got redone this spring - with white tiles. I paint my minis at my desk and use a few layers of newspaper to protect it. Works great - as long as I use brushes, that is.

I can't be the only one with a working space like this. So I am curious: How and where do you spray paint your minis? How do you protect walls and floor from the paint? I am especially interested to hear from all of you without a hobby room or a garden.

Thank you for your ideas!

Get a large cardboard box.  Use it on the balcony to keep fumes out of the apartment. The box will catch any overspray, and help cut any wind that might affect your spray. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well...  I'd say the primary concern you should have is ventilation.  Never mind overspray until you have a way to make it safe.  A good rule is if you can smell it, it's absolutely killing you.

After that?  Set up with lots of newspaper or cardboard on the floor and use a box to contain the overspray.  I've used boxes as small as beer 12-packs to spray a handful of standard hero-sized minis at a time.  Bigger on the box is better though.  That's about it as far as rattle cans.  Maybe box them carefully and take them to the park or a lot somewhere outside?

I'll reiterate.  Do not use rattlers inside without exceptional ventilation.  I've sprayed inside a large single-garage sized room with windows and doors open and still been rendered dizzy and had to run in and out for air. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your suggestions! 

Does it make any difference if you use a can or an airbrush, concerning the area you have to protect from paint?

I does, to a degree.  If you use an airbrush, you typically  won't be dealing with the solvents used as rattle can propellant.  But some airbrush cleaner will fall into the same category.

The spray booths you can purchase will also have a filter screen with exhaust fan and hose that can be directed to a window.

If you think this is a direction you would want to go, it's definitely worth the investment IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rattle can is only outside for me.  I've done it out in the parking lot or sidewalk in a cardboard box just fine.  As long as it isn't too windy it works fine.

I haven't had any problem airbrushing indoors.  I use acrylics so no solvents involved (except the cleaner and I just spray into a jar so not much overspray there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't use the cardboard box solution. At least not without converting it by fitting a strong fan and a good filter in the back of it.   

And use a GOOD mask. 

I have a proper spray booth, and even with that the filters in my mask are slowly being discoloured. 

That's some nasty orc droppings to get in your lungs.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clearman said:

The spray booths you can purchase will also have a filter screen with exhaust fan and hose that can be directed to a window.

This is pretty much the solution I'll be rolling with.  Airbrush plus one of those booths...  Once I figure out where the booth would be going, that is..

• Like 1

I whole heartedly agree with Gadgetman!'s suggestion to use a mask even with a box that has good fan and filter.  I set up a large box with filter and box fan, and I still wonder if some of my sinus issues were a result of spray priming without a mask.

Of course, N95 rated masks are a little hard to find right now.  :-|

• Like 1

When I lived in an apartment, anytime I needed to spray paint something, I grabbed a cardboard box and headed outside either to the grass or parking lot. Leave it outside at least until it is dry to the touch, then bring it in and set it in front of a window with a fan or under the exhaust fan of the stove to finish curing. I would not try that with anything bigger than minis. Spray paint is nasty stuff. Have not played with an airbrush yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all your very helpful inputs! 

The best solution for my seems to be to invest in an entry level airbrush kit and a simple spray booth. I'll begin saving some money and look for a place to set it up. In the mean time I'll just continue to use brushes. ::):

Working outside with a rattle can is not such a good Idea here in Switzerland - people can be a bit protective of public property here and I don't really like to have all those discussions...

18 hours ago, vutpakdi said:

I whole heartedly agree with Gadgetman!'s suggestion to use a mask even with a box that has good fan and filter.  I set up a large box with filter and box fan, and I still wonder if some of my sinus issues were a result of spray priming without a mask.

Of course, N95 rated masks are a little hard to find right now.  :-|

They are.  My SO is an industrial hygienist and would like to point out that the N95 will give you protection from paint particulates, but doesn’t do anything about buildup of organic vapors in the workspace, for which you would need some sort of charcoal filter respirator.

Edited by Rob Dean