Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

Help me decide if I'm moving to Texas (looking for information)

14 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

School Districts- only applies if you have kids still in school (or have grandkids that may live with you; starting to become more common these days).  Again this can influence taxes.

Whether or not you have kids a desirable school district will be reflected in higher demand and housing prices.  You can get a cheaper home in an undesirable school district, but may have trouble selling it later.  

Most homes in the DFW area are built on slab foundations.  Slabs crack and shift. This can cause structural problems.  I'm not sure if home inspections are still required, when I bought a house there 25 years ago they were trying to get it phased out.  You WANT to get the house inspected even if it is not required.  Some areas of DFW are literally built on sand.

9 minutes ago, haldir said:

...........or mountains.

The southern end of the Rocky Mountains extends into Texas. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inarah said:

Most homes in the DFW area are built on slab foundations.  Slabs crack and shift. This can cause structural problems.  I'm not sure if home inspections are still required, when I bought a house there 25 years ago they were trying to get it phased out.  You WANT to get the house inspected even if it is not required.  Some areas of DFW are literally built on sand.

This is another reason basements are not a thing. It is hard enough to keep a slab stable. But keeping all walls of a concrete box that is a basement  from cracking and such just make basements a bad idea. 

• Like 4

My sister lived there with her family for about a year a few years ago, and will be moving back there again (to McKinney, which is nearish Dallas) next month. They really liked it a lot, and are planning to stay there for a good long while. I'll ask her for specifics. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good stuff everyone, keep it coming!

Can any locals touch on any of the stuff that Dilvish mentioned a few  posts back?

Other stuff: good neighborhoods, places to stay away from, things like that. 

I know that I  can ( and I am ) fi d this stuff online, but I'm also interested in firsthand opinions, too.

• Like 7

I've lived in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex most of my life (minus 7 years while away at college), so I'm a bit of a homer. I really love the area and probably would not live anywhere else long term.

You must have a car. Everything is very far apart and public transportation is mostly non-existent. People from here talk about Dallas/Ft Worth, but the two cities are 30 miles apart. I live in Mansfield (a suburb southeast of Fort Worth) and my parents live in Plano (a suburb north of Dallas). It takes me just over an hour drive to visit them.

If you have kids and are interested in looking into the quality of the School/District, go to www.txschools.gov. It's a recently created site by TEA (Texas Education Agency) that is actually really useful and user friendly for looking up academic performance data on schools.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

They do not have basements.  It's weird.

This is true; when I moved here I kept looking for stairs down in houses I'd visit. 

7 hours ago, TGP said:

This is another reason basements are not a thing. It is hard enough to keep a slab stable. But keeping all walls of a concrete box that is a basement  from cracking and such just make basements a bad idea. 

Also--there's rock about 2 feet down. Makes digging a hole deeper than that a challenge.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, seej said:

If you have kids and are interested in looking into the quality of the School/District, go to www.txschools.gov. It's a recently created site by TEA (Texas Education Agency) that is actually really useful and user friendly for looking up academic performance data on schools.

I believe if kids are involved in your move, researching your school districts is super important.  We did this for our relocation and then further researched each of the schools within the district to figure out which neighborhoods to find housing within.   

Know your district and school zone lines to verify the home is actually going to put the kid where you want them.  Your realtors won't, in general.   If you opt for private or homeschooling, then this advice is moot.   If you need realtor recommendations, I can share.

We started with where the job was located to determine the acceptable commute radius and researched schools in that. 

• Like 8

I lived in Irving (between FW and Dallas) for a year about . . . 18 years ago, so take my information for what it's worth.

Yes, it's hot and humid in the summer.  Winter was weird for me.  A whiff of snow sends the metroplex into shutdown.  The year I was there an ice storm hit the area.  I drove to work to find that I was the only person on the entire site.  Now, driving after an ice storm is not unusual for me, as I grew up in Michigan and lived in Colorado, so I can handle snow and ice.  Not so much for everyone else.

Hail is as thing in the spring as the storms move across the area.  Tornado warnings exist.

Dallas is metropolitan - it's the Big City.  Fort Worth is (in my opinion) more laid back and "country." 

I moved there from Denver.  It felt like I got a pay raise.  Granted, there weren't any mountains, but the overall cost of living was lower.   

Oh, avoid heading into Dallas from FW when the Dallas Cowboys are playing - traffic gets stopped and backed-up near the stadium.

Fun Texas things:  Cross Plains (west, near Midland) has the Robert E Howard house.  I took a long lazy Saturday and drove out there. 

It will rain mud in Lubbock.  It's so dry and dusty that occasionally rain will collect the dust on its way down and presto! Raining mud. 

Houston reminds me of New Orleans.  It might be the humidity, or it might be the drunken vacation I was on.  It was fun in both cities. . . .

The cartoon "King of the Hill" - there's some truth about Texas in that series.

Texans take their football seriously.  I never heard high school games broadcast on the radio until I lived in Texas.

• Like 7

@Chaoswolf I wish you luck.

Not an American so I can't help you with the area.

One thing that I would suggest, try to find out if the company will stay there and for how long.

Moving for a job is one thing, having to do that several times might become a drag.

In other words, what's the longterm vision here?

I know why there are no basements in Texas..

Spoiler

Graboid | Tremors Wiki | Fandom

• Haha 7

I am not familiar with the Dallas/ Ft Worth area, but I have fallen in love with the Hill Country of Texas.

Other than the politicos, Texans are wonderful people, possessed of the finest of human qualities; i.e., they have an excellent sense of humor.

• Like 6

Another thing to consider: is your company giving any relocation assistance.  time off to find a new home, subsidizing the move and so forth.  Moving cross country can be expensive when it is on your own dime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Another thing to consider: is your company giving any relocation assistance.  time off to find a new home, subsidizing the move and so forth.  Moving cross country can be expensive when it is on your own dime.

Definitely this. 

And if they're giving relocation assistance, find out what kind - is it just a cash payment, or do they have contracts lined up with a specific companies you have to use?

If you're going to use a moving company rather than pack it yourself, research not only the company doing the cross country moving, but the subcontractors they're using at both ends for the packing/temporary storage and unpacking and who's responsible for reimbursing you if things get lost/damaged.  One of the reasons we used U-Pack and packed the trailer ourselves was because of horror stories I'd heard from friends who had issues with how things were packed or with unpacking crews almost literally throwing things off the truck or trying to charge extra fees before unloading. 

If you are thinking of packing it yourself, what is it going to cost you in boxes, shipping blankets and strapping? Are you someone who can pack things tight and secure to maximize space, or are you someone who just throws things in?   I can pack things more efficiently than my wife can - everyone was surprised I got our entire household into a 28 foot trailer. My wife would have been calling for a second and possibly even a third trailer for the same amount of stuff.   

Also, to help minimize moving expenses, if you're going to move your vehicles yourself it's not too early to start planning your final drive from NY to TX - do you have friends/family along the way you could (and would want to) visit? Are they willing to put you up? 

Next subject:
Professional licenses:  Does anyone in your family have any licensing in NY that you'll need to transfer to TX?   What are the requirements for those?  Will TX accept them automatically and/or will there be additional training/fees required? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

@Chaoswolf I wish you luck.

Not an American so I can't help you with the area.

One thing that I would suggest, try to find out if the company will stay there and for how long.

Moving for a job is one thing, having to do that several times might become a drag.

In other words, what's the longterm vision here?

I know why there are no basements in Texas..

Hide contents

Graboid | Tremors Wiki | Fandom

Most of the Tremors movies were filmed in and around the Alabama Hills, near Lone Pine in Eastern California.

They have one of the Tremors mannequins/puppets [coming up out of the floor with the floor appropriately damaged] at the film Museum there in Lone Pine.

The area has been used for location shooting since the silent film era because of the variety of terrain and climates available in a fairly short radius around Lone Pine.

GEM

GEM

One of the unique characteristics of Texas in general you might want to investigate is the presence, or more likely lack of a "General Plan".  Texans aren't big on zoning restrictions and there is at least one area where there is a roller coaster located in an otherwise residential area, because the guy who owned the property wanted his own personal roller coaster.

You will find what would be considered "anomalies" such as this [though not necessarily as extreme] all over the state, so investigate "the neighbors" carefully before buying if you are the sort of person who is disturbed by "out of the ordinary" neighbors.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 4

Texan here, born and bred.

However, I'm by the coast, so the reason we don't have basements is that you hit water a foot down. ::D: 

We have a little bit of everything here, but a lot of pride in our state. And we love tacos. And football (but not everyone). "They" tend to get a little weird about Planned Parenthood, but nowhere's perfect. And I don't believe you have a uterus, so you should be good. Lol

I think everywhere has some of everything. I'm happy to answer more specific questions if you wanna pm me. ::D:

Also, @TaleSpinner, Galveston is less than an hour from me. In Texas time, that's nothing! Come on down!

Edited by Marineal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2