Sign in to follow this  
dks

60144 Ulf Gormundr, viking ranger

Good face and armor, and absolutely incredible freehand on that shield. Wish I could get circles that precise and crisp!

Beautifully painted and you do such great work on your free hand. One of these days I’ve got to take the freehand plunge for clothing and such..

I've always loved this sculpt. I've owned it for a few years but haven't decided which direction I want to go with the colors. This is beautiful work. Thanks for sharing it. 

Thanks, everybody!  I appreciate your observations.

Yeah... although I try to avoid a paint-scheme whose back side has the most impressive work (like this shield, or a fancy cloak), sometimes it happens that way.

Freehand that ends up looking crisp wasn't necessarily crisp at every step!  I make fewer mistakes than I did when I was starting out, and even when I do make mistakes, I can fix them pretty quickly.  The shapes on the shield aren't perfect, but all the imperfections sort of cancel out one another and add up to something else that's fine.  Wabi-sabi.

The scratches on the shield are thin lines of a dark color (Brown Liner), with thin lines of a light color (Creamy Ivory) following the bottom of the dark line so it looks like light from above is glinting off of an incised edge.  Plus a few additional lines or splotches of the light color.  I varied the locations, angles, and lengths of the lines so they would look like a random assortment of blocked attacks.

@72moonglum: I've been enjoying your series of Show-Off posts on classic miniatures.  Yes, start with something simple, such as a border on a sleeve or hem.  Before you know it, you'll be adding freehand without a second thought!

@Loim: Thanks.  Take the plunge on one color scheme, and then just get another one to paint if you don't like it.  :;):

Derek

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dks said:

Thanks, everybody!  I appreciate your observations.

@72moonglum: I've been enjoying your series of Show-Off posts on classic miniatures.  Yes, start with something simple, such as a border on a sleeve or hem.  Before you know it, you'll be adding freehand without a second thought!

Thanks Derek,  I'm glad you're enjoying them.  I've always enjoyed the old school stuff. It probably has something to do with that's what I grew up with, and then had a long break between painting so my tastes maybe didn't evolve as the industry actually did. I paint mostly Ral Partha, but do a sprinkling of other stuff as well, including Reaper on occasion!  With my really infrequent Reaper mini postings, I still post out here all my other non-Reaper stuff because this is literally the nicest, most friendly forum that I've ever found, and I in itself justify my postings because I'm using about 99% Reaper paints. 

I really should begin like you say, just a little and it may from there blossom. I do freehand shields when necessary, with mixed results.  My only concern I guess is that it will eventually change if I really start doing lots of freehand from a 10 hour miniature to a 20 hour miniature as I start doing huge elaborate freehand.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:04 AM, 72moonglum said:

I really should begin like you say, just a little and it may from there blossom. I do freehand shields when necessary, with mixed results.  My only concern I guess is that it will eventually change if I really start doing lots of freehand from a 10 hour miniature to a 20 hour miniature as I start doing huge elaborate freehand.

Don't worry, you can reserve the elaborate freehand for just a few special minis, but still add a little freehand flourishes on almost everything.  You clearly have the brush-control and blending skills.  As you get faster, today's 10-hour paintjob takes you only 9.5 or 9 hours next year ... and then you can do more with next year's 10-hour paintjob.  (Actual numbers may vary, but that's the gist of it.)

Glad you're here with us on the Forum.  I also got started with Grenadier and Ral Partha in the mid-/late-'80s, then fell hard for Citadel/GW and painted Warhammer and WH40K armies for several years, then Mithril Miniatures (the official licensee for Lord of the Rings figures, before GW got the license for minis based on the live-action movies), and now mostly Reaper for the past 20 years or so.  I may not have seen some of the figures you're painting when they were new, but they evoke lots of old memories/associations.

Derek

• Like 4

19 hours ago, dks said:

Don't worry, you can reserve the elaborate freehand for just a few special minis, but still add a little freehand flourishes on almost everything.  You clearly have the brush-control and blending skills.  As you get faster, today's 10-hour paintjob takes you only 9.5 or 9 hours next year ... and then you can do more with next year's 10-hour paintjob.  (Actual numbers may vary, but that's the gist of it.)

Glad you're here with us on the Forum.  I also got started with Grenadier and Ral Partha in the mid-/late-'80s, then fell hard for Citadel/GW and painted Warhammer and WH40K armies for several years, then Mithril Miniatures (the official licensee for Lord of the Rings figures, before GW got the license for minis based on the live-action movies), and now mostly Reaper for the past 20 years or so.  I may not have seen some of the figures you're painting when they were new, but they evoke lots of old memories/associations.

Derek

For me, a bit more speed has come from improving my work with eyes and faces, which seems to be going a bit faster and with less errors than three or four years ago.  Also, I used to really only finish one miniature at a time.  Nowadays I'm painting a few at a time, starting out with similar skin tons so I can work on different minis at the same time with slightly similar themes.  It doesn't work that often.

And thank you for the welcoming words.  I never really got into Warhammer myself. I stopped painting (1986) when I was at the hobby store seeing Ral Partha and Grenadier, with some Citadel mixed in too. I don't know if that is pre-Warhammer.   When I came back into miniatures as well, went back to Partha and I started getting Reaper figures, but later started getting back into Partha again and nowadays do painting with them on their online catalogue, one of the other reasons I paint so much Partha! 

• Like 2