Bones Black Ziba Female Efreeti 44003

Bustawolf

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like: 

1. Very good brush control on the eyes. They work well with the menacing smile.

2. Nice blends on the skin and not too stark a contrast.

3. Very cool colour scheme and great work on the face. The verdigris scales are quite striking in contrast to the purple skin.

4. The flaming swords add a nice focus and third colour to the miniature, without taking away from the face.

Suggestions to improve the paint job:

1. The loincloth could be a slightly different colour to the skin. At the moment it is hard to make out or to differentiate. A contrasting colour would work or just a slightly different purple tone. Maybe a cold purple as opposed to the warm you use on the skin.

2. I see some mold lines along the leg and arm. It takes the focus away from the great skin blends.

3. The gold NMM doesn't read as such, instead you have a nice yellowed bone effect or leather. To read as NMM the shadows need to be significantly darker and the highlights need to go up to pure white.

4. Her necklace and leg armour lack definition. Some dark lines around each scale in a dark green or dark blue and necklace item in a dark brown, dark purple or dark green would really make them stand out.

5. The flaming swords look good colour wise, but if you want them to glow, you need to push the highlights up to white. A glaze to smooth out the transitions would also help to sell the illusion. 

6. Her hair could feature deeper shadows and brighter highlights. At the moment it is hard to make out the strands and it gets swallowed a bit by the face and skin. Pushing the colour more towards red may help as well. 

All in all a very nice rendition of the miniature. The colour scheme is very inspired and some minor nitpicks aside, I think this will work well on the gaming table and the display cabinet alike. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Peithetairos said:

What I like: 

1. Very good brush control on the eyes. They work well with the menacing smile.

2. Nice blends on the skin and not too stark a contrast.

3. Very cool colour scheme and great work on the face. The verdigris scales are quite striking in contrast to the purple skin.

4. The flaming swords add a nice focus and third colour to the miniature, without taking away from the face.

Suggestions to improve the paint job:

1. The loincloth could be a slightly different colour to the skin. At the moment it is hard to make out or to differentiate. A contrasting colour would work or just a slightly different purple tone. Maybe a cold purple as opposed to the warm you use on the skin.

2. I see some mold lines along the leg and arm. It takes the focus away from the great skin blends.

3. The gold NMM doesn't read as such, instead you have a nice yellowed bone effect or leather. To read as NMM the shadows need to be significantly darker and the highlights need to go up to pure white.

4. Her necklace and leg armour lack definition. Some dark lines around each scale in a dark green or dark blue and necklace item in a dark brown, dark purple or dark green would really make them stand out.

5. The flaming swords look good colour wise, but if you want them to glow, you need to push the highlights up to white. A glaze to smooth out the transitions would also help to sell the illusion. 

6. Her hair could feature deeper shadows and brighter highlights. At the moment it is hard to make out the strands and it gets swallowed a bit by the face and skin. Pushing the colour more towards red may help as well. 

All in all a very nice rendition of the miniature. The colour scheme is very inspired and some minor nitpicks aside, I think this will work well on the gaming table and the display cabinet alike. 

Thanks for the tips! Any recommendations for a base coat/shadow for NMM gold?  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BardicDave said:

Wow! You took that criticism and applied it to great effect in record time! Your updated picture shows a big improvement! Looks great!

Thanks! Got some more I want to do to it but I need to get some sleep before work.

The new version reads significantly better. I also like the NMM improvements. I get a gold vibe now. The highlights seem to work now, but I feel you can push the shadows even more. I think the difficulty with NMM is to place the reflections as they would would work in real life (which is why I usually go for TMM).

Changing the tone of the loin cloth really made it pop. Great contrast between cloth and skin. Same goes for the hair.

The flaming swords also came out nicely. Very smooth blends on the blades.

• Thanks 1