Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Give it wings, hang it on the ceiling!

Flying Dutchman!

Just get a large ring. flying galleon from Eberron!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, TGP said:

I believe it is 31 inches between perpendiculars. 

AH HA HA IT IS LITERALLY LONGER THAN MY SHELVES

This is something I hadn't actually considered!

I suppose it'd probably sit sideways. Probably just sit it on top of a lower shelf.

Still, tho. ROFL. Can't believe the madmen actually did it.

Just now, haldir said:

Just get a large ring. flying galleon from Eberron!

Please, stop, I'm already stretched to the limits of my excitement.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Our new home has flat roofs ( sidebuildings also..therefore roofs)

When it has rained there are some spots where the water stays for a longer time, roof is bitumen/asphalt.

I have called a company because I want an inspection.

That way I will know if I need to do something about that, or how long this stuff is expected to last, and what I can do myself according to maintenance.

Scheduled next week wednesday.

Best of luck with that. My mother had flat roofs for years and after fighting with leaks and repairs the entire time, she finally had a company come install a proper slanted roof over the flat roof. 2 years on now and no more problems. Looks really nice and helps with energy bills too. 

• Like 9

Really hard to concentrate on work this afternoon...

The cancellation of the NYC marathon was officially announced this morning, and... Well... It's been a day.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 11

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm up a lot earlier than my body sure wants... Who sets a meeting for 07:00????!????

When you find out, send them a notice for amandatory meeting at 19:00.

GEM

• Haha 8

5 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Oh, ReaperCon boxes are up for preorder!

Link?  I'm not seeing anything on the website or the con site....

• Like 4

Okay, time to think about dinner. Alice's GI tract is acting up, so there's some white rice in the IP, but I'm thinking about making a BBQ chili. Also, salad, but I need something for lunch for the next couple days. But do I go with the ground pork or the ground beef...

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

But do I go with the ground pork or the ground beef...

Why choose? Obviously you go with BOTH!! :winkthumbs:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

TripleH just nailed it. Both is always the correct choice for chili. 

And speaking of dinner. All of the green beans, banana peppers, and herbs in my pasta bake tonight are from my garden. Very happy.

Edited by Thoramel
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dicey said:

Also, sort of staying awake in order to watch the weather. I am slowly starting to realize, after months of denial, that I may be a little traumatized by our house flood last September. I work from home, so I was there when the water started coming inside. I think it was easier to deny before we moved back in. We're in a flood watch currently and I can't help but check the radar and listen for the rain to start. I know I'm being a bit silly

Believe me, I know that feeling.

Any time we're supposed to get heavy rains for more than 24 hours, I always make sure to wake up in the middle of the night to check the water level in our submerged patio... I live on a hillside, and the yard runs downhill from back to front. Whenever the drains on the street behind us (uphill) get clogged or can't handle the volume of water, it all runs down through my backyard and past the side of our house out into the street.

I live in a two-story raised ranch, and the lower level is essentially just a big concrete box half-buried in the hillside. Underneath the back deck on the upper level is a submerged patio, with French doors leading into the rec room. Over the years, heavy rains caused the cinderblock wall of the patio to collapse, and we never got around to replacing it, so whenever it rains we get water running down into the patio. (There's a drain in the patio, which runs under the house to the drain in the garage floor and out into the front yard, but it tends to get overwhelmed.)

So if it rains too heavily too fast, there's a danger of the patio filling up with water deep enough to come over the sill of the French doors and into our basement. Sometimes even with our large pump going until the gas runs out. Fortunately, it's only happened a couple times in my life.

When it does, the only thing we can do is dig a trench in the back yard to draw some of the water out further into the yard away from the side of the house, and set up barriers on the basement floor to funnel the water through the rec room and out through the garage to the driveway, keeping the important stuff (mostly) dry.

This is what it looked like February 29th-30th of 2010... That's ankle-deep water covering the entire back yard and almost 7 inches running down the side of the yard, and the second pic is the view of the patio from the deck, where you can see the water covering the second step up from the ground (the first step isn't even visible).

Spoiler

backyardrain5.jpg.27179389641d6969fd27a10e61fb30d0.jpg

IMG_1185A.jpg.0aeeba3d2668dbd89f69b98ea75c6c1e.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 4
  • Sad 5

Alongside the same staff that plan a meeting at 07:00, we have "wise" people who decide that since the National Health and Safety team comes out with a VOLUNTARY "marathon across the country!" scheme (basically join others in a team if you choose to, then track your NON-WORK runs and walks on the Nike app, and there are undisclosed prizes, and company's goal is to, well, through combined effort, walk/run the equivalent of the length of the country)....  We then have a branch manager who's decided that great, this is a lovely idea, so they're forcing every member to sign up for it...  Just like they're forcing non-salespeople to do cold calls >.<

• Sad 10