Froggy the Great

Randomness XVII: The Madness of the Quorum

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

I don't know how inspirational it is, but having seriously limited space helps. I actually don't know if "helps" is the right word, or conveys the full meaning. It's necessary. It also, sort of, keeps me focused on whatever project fits on my tray. At the moment, I have 3 sets of projects on my tray, and I really need to pick 1 to work on. None of them use the same colors, so... it's just a mess. I'll work on that today I think.

As in this discussion on small space hobbying? Similarly, I often am getting nearly as much painting done at work at lunch as I am at home.  I have to clear the work space again as soon as I’m done, so painting clutter never builds up.

4 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Love the casting.  something i always wanted to try but never wound up with the equipment and time to try. (and now with my current wound issues its not a good idea to play with things that can cause serious damage... when it comes to molten metals, i am unfortunately more enthusiastic than cautious.  I look forward to seeing more of your results!

congratulations.on your nuptials, sorry if i missed any initial announcement.  You are making it official on my younger son's birthday!  

The only inspiration is that entropy always wins. 

It doesn’t take all that much equipment to do casting. My melting pot is a heated ladle, so I pour directly from it. You need the molds, clamps to hold them closed, some talc, and PPE (gloves and goggles usually). I use some old/cheap baking sheets to contain any spills, and then tools to deal with the molds and figures, which you should have anyway (pliers, metal clippers, and a Stanley knife).  My mold library, though, has grown out of proportion to my needs...

However, if your medical condition would make a burn an issue, best not.  I’m sure I don’t want to know how my bleeding disorder would interact with a serious burn, but I do tend towards caution in working with molten metal.

I don’t know that I put out an announcement here, although we’ve been officially engaged for, hmmm, two years? We put things off for a year when my son was getting married last year, figuring that one wedding in a year was about all the relatives could handle.  The pandemic put a crimp in this year’s plans.  

As for entropy, energy has been expended to begin to reverse it:

6DAEDE7D-B781-40D8-8B15-C7911584AB7A.jpeg.6d17e425dc9c07dd7e9d4be5afdf7e83.jpeg

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Rob Dean said:

As in this discussion on small space hobbying? Similarly, I often am getting nearly as much painting done at work at lunch as I am at home.  I have to clear the work space again as soon as I’m done, so painting clutter never builds up.

Exactly!

Okay, that was a satisfying conclusion to Avatar.

• Like 9

It's 1 degree hotter than yesterday but man it feels like a nasty degree. I was half baked yesterday and totally today. We quit early and when we got home the wife asked why I'm dark red and the kid isn't. He was in a tractor with no air conditioner so got the full heat effect but no sun. I was outside 6 and a half hours which was a bit cooler but the sun got me. Every time I cook like this she's upset and figures I'm badly sunburned. I just have skin that turns nice and red when I'm hot. Might have a mild burn but when I cool down a bit I won't be glowing anymore.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Zink said:

...was half baked yesterday and totally today.

:rolleyes:
Wait, what...?

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Prep work for dinner completed and we eat as soon as Yankee Doodle Dandy concludes on TCM.

Simple meal:  Bacon Wrapped All Beef Hot Dogs - Fresh Shucked Corn on the Cob - Sauteed Mushrooms - Sliced Tomatoes - Ice Cream for desert.

GEM

• Like 10

Okay, all you knowledgeable people, help me out here.

Is that 5-pound tub of Magic Sculpt what I want for stamping bases with my Basius pads? I want to do it on the cheap, but I also want the bases to be simple/come out right/look okay/actually be usable for going on and attaching the mini and painting/etc.. And I'm not 100% clear on what I'm reading about the Magic Sculpt, though it sounds like the way to go.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Prep work for dinner completed and we eat as soon as Yankee Doodle Dandy concludes on TCM.

Simple meal:  Bacon Wrapped All Beef Hot Dogs - Fresh Shucked Corn on the Cob - Sauteed Mushrooms - Sliced Tomatoes - Ice Cream for desert.

GEM

Training to compete with Joey Chestnut, eh?? :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLWr3SPYtAtiBNAvmqulf

8 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Okay, all you knowledgeable people, help me out here.

Is that 5-pound tub of Magic Sculpt what I want for stamping bases with my Basius pads? I want to do it on the cheap, but I also want the bases to be simple/come out right/look okay/actually be usable for going on and attaching the mini and painting/etc.. And I'm not 100% clear on what I'm reading about the Magic Sculpt, though it sounds like the way to go.

https://kitkraft.com/learn/how-to-use-magic-sculpt

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

So that thundershower Environment Canada said would be here yesterday 25 hours ago finally showed up...  Naturally right when I was all "okay, gonna go for a walk to get groceries!"

...If I ever needed a reminder as to why Instacart is such a lovely thing, the weather just smacked me upside the head with said clue by four ::P:

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

GEM

In fine American tradition we are having German brats and potato salad, with Cuban mohitos, and a French creme brulee for dessert. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

We had pork steaks marinated in Panda Express Teriyaki bottle sauce + some sorta Noodle Helper Penne Alfredo. It was good!

• Like 10